Sounds of Music C

trdd
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Sounds of Music C

Post by trdd »

I wonder how accurate will the devices used at the competitions be. The better not use cell phone apps. I'm specifically talking about the frequency measuring device from the event or the event supervisor not the student's. There could be errors that will include a certain level of randomness into the measuring.

The rules for event supervisors should specify what device to get.
nicholasmaurer
Coach
Coach
Division: Grad
State: OH

Post by nicholasmaurer »

trdd wrote:I wonder how accurate will the devices used at the competitions be. The better not use cell phone apps. I'm specifically talking about the frequency measuring device from the event or the event supervisor not the student's. There could be errors that will include a certain level of randomness into the measuring.

In a perfect world all ES would have access to high-quality measurement devices and use these for competition. However, this is not always practical or affordable. While I hesitate to speak for the rules committees, I think I am safe in saying that they make an effort to keep events accessible even for teams with limited financial resources. Therefore, they leave this open to ES to provide the best equipment possible; I would expect higher levels of competition (regionals, states, etc.) to make more of an effort to have good equipment than invitationals.
Assistant Coach and Alumnus ('14) - Solon High School Science Olympiad
Tournament Director - Northeast Ohio Regional Tournament
Tournament Director - Solon High School Science Olympiad Invitational

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.
Unome
State: GA

Post by Unome »

nicholasmaurer wrote:
trdd wrote:I wonder how accurate will the devices used at the competitions be. The better not use cell phone apps. I'm specifically talking about the frequency measuring device from the event or the event supervisor not the student's. There could be errors that will include a certain level of randomness into the measuring.

In a perfect world all ES would have access to high-quality measurement devices and use these for competition. However, this is not always practical or affordable. While I hesitate to speak for the rules committees, I think I am safe in saying that they make an effort to keep events accessible even for teams with limited financial resources. Therefore, they leave this open to ES to provide the best equipment possible; I would expect higher levels of competition (regionals, states, etc.) to make more of an effort to have good equipment than invitationals.
Only in Ohio are regionals and states generally better-run than invitationals :P
Userpage

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.
chalker

Post by chalker »

In developing the rules, we tried several devices and found several cell phone apps that work pretty well. We'll be issuing an event supervisors guide with info sometime soon.

I'm curious though as to why you might be assuming that cell phone apps would be inherently error phone in terms of frequency measuring?

Student Alumni
National Event Supervisor
National Physical Sciences Rules Committee Chair
nicholasmaurer
Coach
Coach

Post by nicholasmaurer »

chalker wrote:

In developing the rules, we tried several devices and found several cell phone apps that work pretty well. We'll be issuing an event supervisors guide with info sometime soon.

I'm curious though as to why you might be assuming that cell phone apps would be inherently error phone in terms of frequency measuring?
Is it safe to assume you'll be including the specific apps/devices that you tested and can recommend?

As an aside, I myself did not know the ES guide existed until late last year. I even went to the trouble of making my own for the Solon invitational. Do you have any thoughts about how it could be made more visible to tournament directors and ES? There are several events this year (including Sounds) where I think a consistent message on equipment/tools would be very beneficial.
Assistant Coach and Alumnus ('14) - Solon High School Science Olympiad
Tournament Director - Northeast Ohio Regional Tournament
Tournament Director - Solon High School Science Olympiad Invitational

dxu46
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: C
State: MO
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by dxu46 »

Am I going crazy or do you not have to play a piece anymore, just a scale?
UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: PA

Post by UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F »

dxu46 wrote:Am I going crazy or do you not have to play a piece anymore, just a scale?
That is correct. Interestingly though, there's a volume test.
trdd

Post by trdd »

chalker wrote:

We definitely need an ES guide so that both the ES and the students have the same measuring devices. That way, students can make their instruments for the device and the ES doesn't have a device that gives away too much error or too much noise in the frequency that will not allow them to accurately compute the cents for each pitch.
lamppost

Post by lamppost »

UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F wrote:
dxu46 wrote:Am I going crazy or do you not have to play a piece anymore, just a scale?
For the volume test, the louder the better right? And since multiple attacks on the one pitch is allowed would it count as cheating if you make one pitch significantly louder than the rest when you're building your device? Or do all the pitches have to be the same volume throughout
what is going on
UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: PA

Post by UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F »

lamppost wrote:
UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F wrote:
For the volume test, the louder the better right? And since multiple attacks on the one pitch is allowed would it count as cheating if you make one pitch significantly louder than the rest when you're building your device? Or do all the pitches have to be the same volume throughout
Yes, the louder the better. You can make one pitch significantly louder than the rest but it has to be part of the scale you play (which you conveniently get to choose). Also remember you can't make any adjustments after the pitch test (I don't think this really applies for your idea, but just in case).

Return to “2019 Lab Events”