Sounds of Music C

Creationist127
Division: C
State: IN
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Re: Sounds of Music C

Post by Creationist127 »

Birdmusic wrote:So I noticed the rules mentioned how event supervisors “may” move the testing equipment closer for the pitch part. (Part II.f.iii)

Thing is, I’m afraid an event supervisor will decide this means they can choose to not move it closer, and on our instrument (copper pipe xylophone), if we want to play in tune, only 3-4 of the pitches register at 1 m. We tried using a cardboard box placed behind the instrument as a resonator but it doesn’t really seem to make a difference.

Do you guys have any recommendations for us? We are currently using a mallet made of rubber bands wrapped around a dowel. (This is necessary because the wooden dowel alone, while louder, causes the pitch to head towards the higher overtones)
Unless the ES is unnecessarily cruel, they will probably move the test equipment over.
Scratch that. Unless they are incompetent inexperienced, they will move the test equipment over. If they don't, and you get a bad score, that is probably grounds for an appeal.
2018: Hovercraft, Thermo, Coaster, Solar System
2019: Thermo, Circuit Lab, Sounds, Wright Stuff
2020: Circuit Lab, Wright Stuff, Machines
2021: Circuit Lab, Machines, WIDI, anything but Wright Stuff

Can I request that we delete 2020 from our memories and do it over again?
Justin72835
Division: Grad
State: TX
Has thanked: 0

Post by Justin72835 »

Creationist127 wrote:
Birdmusic wrote:So I noticed the rules mentioned how event supervisors “may” move the testing equipment closer for the pitch part. (Part II.f.iii)

Thing is, I’m afraid an event supervisor will decide this means they can choose to not move it closer, and on our instrument (copper pipe xylophone), if we want to play in tune, only 3-4 of the pitches register at 1 m. We tried using a cardboard box placed behind the instrument as a resonator but it doesn’t really seem to make a difference.

Do you guys have any recommendations for us? We are currently using a mallet made of rubber bands wrapped around a dowel. (This is necessary because the wooden dowel alone, while louder, causes the pitch to head towards the higher overtones)
Unless the ES is unnecessarily cruel, they will probably move the test equipment over.
Scratch that. Unless they are incompetent inexperienced, they will move the test equipment over. If they don't, and you get a bad score, that is probably grounds for an appeal.
This is true. Good proctors will almost always listen to you provided that what is being asked is within the rules. On that same note, always bring a copy of the rules to events like these. If you ask and your proctor says no, you can sometimes change their mind by showing them specific statements on there.
"The fault, dear Brutus, is not in our stars,
But in ourselves, that we are underlings."

University of Texas at Austin '23
Seven Lakes High School '19
TheSquaad

Post by TheSquaad »

Carpenter wrote:Does anybody know what scores would have been needed to place at MIT?
Both Acton teams (who scored 1st and 2nd) had perfect builds (full pitch score, >85 decibels, full log)
markuswso17
State: VA
Been thanked: 0

Post by markuswso17 »

What apps or programs are you using to measure the average pitch? Soinc recommends to use the Science Journal app by Google, but it include 0Hz as part of the average in data collection, causing the average to be lower than the actual note average. I know that you can repeat the note as many times as possible in those 5 seconds, but this is not an optimal situation because each start of a note will naturally be higher pitched than the sustain of the note. What have you found to work?
Alumni
Fairfax High School Captain 2017
Electric Vehicle Nationals 4th place 2017
Email: [email protected]
Facebook: https://tinyurl.com/markuswso17FB
2016-2017 Events: Electric Vehicle, Forensics, Game On, Robot Arm
Riptide
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by Riptide »

markuswso17 wrote:What apps or programs are you using to measure the average pitch? Soinc recommends to use the Science Journal app by Google, but it include 0Hz as part of the average in data collection, causing the average to be lower than the actual note average. I know that you can repeat the note as many times as possible in those 5 seconds, but this is not an optimal situation because each start of a note will naturally be higher pitched than the sustain of the note. What have you found to work?
In science journal you can crop the recording to take the average over only a certain portion of the entire recording (click on the recording; the 3 dot menu on the top right gives a crop option). Realistically you only need a second or two to get an accurate average, so you can crop it to a portion with no 0’s/overtones showing up. I don’t think there’s any specific app or device that would differ from Science Journal picking up 0’s.
UC Berkeley
markuswso17

Post by markuswso17 »

The rules state that: "The pitch measurement will be the average value during the 5 seconds.". To me that means that the average will be taken from the entirety of the 5 seconds, and not what looks like the average fundamental.
Alumni
Riptide
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by Riptide »

markuswso17 wrote:The rules state that: "The pitch measurement will be the average value during the 5 seconds.". To me that means that the average will be taken from the entirety of the 5 seconds, and not what looks like the average fundamental.
My bad I thought you were asking from a competitors point of view. If you’re just trying to calibrate your own build then doing the crop thing works. From a proctors point of view I don’t think there’s anything they can really do short of taking the average over a time less than 5 seconds, which is clearly against the rules. No app will just magically not record 0 or strange overtones - it’ll be up to students to build a device that does its best to avoid this by sustaining the note for the entire 5 seconds without having to repeat it while keeping it at a volume that the app will register it at consistently.
UC Berkeley
markuswso17

Post by markuswso17 »

Riptide wrote:
markuswso17 wrote:The rules state that: "The pitch measurement will be the average value during the 5 seconds.". To me that means that the average will be taken from the entirety of the 5 seconds, and not what looks like the average fundamental.
My bad I thought you were asking from a competitors point of view. If you’re just trying to calibrate your own build then doing the crop thing works. From a proctors point of view I don’t think there’s anything they can really do short of taking the average over a time less than 5 seconds, which is clearly against the rules. No app will just magically not record 0 or strange overtones - it’ll be up to students to build a device that does its best to avoid this by sustaining the note for the entire 5 seconds without having to repeat it while keeping it at a volume that the app will register it at consistently.
It's more of a dear of inconsistency between different tournaments. Do you change the instrument to not have 0Hz as part of the average or do you find a fix to the problem and have all tournaments be the same. To me, having 0Hz as part of the average doesn't seem fair because it also depends on how well an Es's microphone pics up the frequency. There are just a lot of factors that should be figured out and be mentioned officially from Science Olympiad.
Alumni
Birdmusic
Division: C
State: CA
Pronouns: She/Her/Hers

Post by Birdmusic »

Creationist127 wrote: Unless the ES is unnecessarily cruel, they will probably move the test equipment over.
Justin72835 wrote: This is true. Good proctors will almost always listen to you provided that what is being asked is within the rules. On that same note, always bring a copy of the rules to events like these. If you ask and your proctor says no, you can sometimes change their mind by showing them specific statements on there.
Alright, thanks guys! I will be sure to print a copy of the rules!
I like birds.
SciolyHarsh

Post by SciolyHarsh »

This happened to us at a recent invitational. We made a xylophone and right before the tournament, we realized that it wouldn't work for the invitational, so we used our backup instrument. But it ended up pointless, because the supervisors ended up measuring the note rather than the frequency in Science Journal. They just called out whether it was sharp or flat....
2017-2018 Events: Chemistry Lab, Dynamic Planet, Microbe Mission, Experimental Design, Rocks and Minerals

2018-2019 Events: Dynamic Planet, Astronomy, Sounds of Music, Circuit Lab, Geologic Mapping

Return to “2019 Lab Events”