Sounds of Music C

eagerlearner102
Division: C
Been thanked: 0

Re: Sounds of Music C

Post by eagerlearner102 »

I saw it show up on the MIT invitational test so it is good to study that by labeling the pictures and filling in the blanks.
2019:Fermi Questions, Protein Modeling, Sounds of Music
2020: Designer Genes, Protein Modeling, Ping Pong Parachute
2021: Chem Lab, Experimental Design, Protein Modeling
memeus
State: KS
Has thanked: 0

Post by memeus »

So when using an instrument like percussion or panpipes, where one piece makes a certain note, what do you considered attached? Like for panpipes, tape wrapped around it, or like popsicle sticks glued onto it and for percussion just a wooden frame?
UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: PA

Post by UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F »

memeus wrote:So when using an instrument like percussion or panpipes, where one piece makes a certain note, what do you considered attached? Like for panpipes, tape wrapped around it, or like popsicle sticks glued onto it and for percussion just a wooden frame?
As long as they're not easily separable it should be fine (or if they are, it should be clear they're one instrument using a wooden frame or something)
SHASO2018
State: MI

Post by SHASO2018 »

Has anyone seen a wrench xylophone used before? I made a simple one yesterday but I am wondering if they do well in competitions.
R.I.P Region 15
Idk-2018

I'm getting too old for this
TheSquaad
Division: Grad

Post by TheSquaad »

SHASO2018 wrote:Has anyone seen a wrench xylophone used before? I made a simple one yesterday but I am wondering if they do well in competitions.
I personally have not. That doesn’t mean it can’t work. A good strategy is to make one note of your instrument and test it in google sci journal (the worst software an es will probably use). If it’s registering reasonably consistent pitches on average for 5 seconds, you’re good to go. Make the rest of the notes and you’ll be set for competition.
trdd

Post by trdd »

SHASO2018 wrote:Has anyone seen a wrench xylophone used before? I made a simple one yesterday but I am wondering if they do well in competitions.
As an event superviosr I DID see one made with wrenches. It was super cool. I liked it! BUT unfortunately it got a big fat ZERO in the pitch score because ALL of the notes were higher than F5. They were all very high notes. The spreadsheet wouldn't even allow me to put those high frequencies into it. Stay away from it because all of those high pitches are out of the range of the competition. You don't want to spend all that effort only to get zero points on your pitch score. Cool instrument for you to play for yourself. Bad instrument for this competition based on this rules.
eagerlearner102

Have you guys heard of bending waves? According to one test I took, they said that the waves in the vibrating section of melodic percussion and water filled instruments are bending waves... does that mean it is a combination of transverse and longitudinal waves?
UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: PA

Post by UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F »

eagerlearner102 wrote:Have you guys heard of bending waves? According to one test I took, they said that the waves in the vibrating section of melodic percussion and water filled instruments are bending waves... does that mean it is a combination of transverse and longitudinal waves?
All I could find about them on Wikipedia was this https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Structura ... and_plates
eagerlearner102

Same for me. I asked my AP Physics teacher about it and he didn't think it was a good test question.
SHASO2018
State: MI

Post by SHASO2018 »

trdd wrote:
As an event superviosr I DID see one made with wrenches. It was super cool. I liked it! BUT unfortunately it got a big fat ZERO in the pitch score because ALL of the notes were higher than F5. They were all very high notes. The spreadsheet wouldn't even allow me to put those high frequencies into it. Stay away from it because all of those high pitches are out of the range of the competition. You don't want to spend all that effort only to get zero points on your pitch score. Cool instrument for you to play for yourself. Bad instrument for this competition based on this rules.
Yeah, used it today last minute, and I was able to get the highest main tone around D5, but I don't know if it was the bolt that I was using to hit it or the wrench in general, but it gave off two tones. I didn't place, but I don't know full results until Monday, so that'll be interesting to look at.
R.I.P Region 15
Idk-2018

I'm getting too old for this

Return to “2019 Lab Events”