Sounds of Music C

scienceisfunalil
Division: C
State: FL
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Sounds of Music C

Post by scienceisfunalil »

eagerlearner102 wrote:I took the University of Florida test. It can be found on scioly.org/tests. I wouldn't say it is very hard. I thought it was hard because I didn't even study parts of the scales/intervals. I took it as a practice (a month away, so binder isn't 100% finished).
Well, I live in the Bay Area and there are 35 teams competing, so the tests will be harder.

Well. UF did release their detailed score breakdown available on their website. The highest score was 84.92. Assuming 1st place has the best PS and VS, and brought a log, they got a 66%. I think I'm not sure I did that math right. Another factor to consider is that this regional isn't particularly competitive. If a more competitive team was there, the high score would probably be much higher.
scio alum
trdd

Post by trdd »

eagerlearner102 wrote:I took the University of Florida test. It can be found on scioly.org/tests. I wouldn't say it is very hard. I thought it was hard because I didn't even study parts of the scales/intervals. I took it as a practice (a month away, so binder isn't 100% finished).
Well, I live in the Bay Area and there are 35 teams competing, so the tests will be harder.
As an event supervisor I created a quite long and difficult exam to be done in 40 minutes and the highest score was a respectable 65% which was not bad considering the short time, the length of the exam and the difficulty. The scores will vary from region to region and from exam to exam. If the exam is too easy, then the event supervisor will have to do tie breakers because there may be 5 perfect score teams. I'd rather do long and difficult exams so that no one gets a perfect score and the scores are more evenly spread. It's still graded on a curve so whomever gets the highest exam score gets the full points and everyone else's is divided by that one. If you would have gotten 53% on my exam, you would have gotten the second highest score on it. ..and that would still be an 81% of the full score when graded on a curve. What matters is not your exam score by itself bu how close that score is to the highest score.
scienceisfunalil
State: FL

Post by scienceisfunalil »

trdd wrote:
As an event supervisor I created a quite long and difficult exam to be done in 40 minutes and the highest score was a respectable 65% which was not bad considering the short time, the length of the exam and the difficulty. The scores will vary from region to region and from exam to exam. If the exam is too easy, then the event supervisor will have to do tie breakers because there may be 5 perfect score teams. I'd rather do long and difficult exams so that no one gets a perfect score and the scores are more evenly spread. It's still graded on a curve so whomever gets the highest exam score gets the full points and everyone else's is divided by that one. If you would have gotten 53% on my exam, you would have gotten the second highest score on it. ..and that would still be an 81% of the full score when graded on a curve. What matters is not your exam score by itself bu how close that score is to the highest score.
Hey, I was pretty close on the math! Haha.
scio alum
killer225whale

Post by killer225whale »

SoCal SciOly just posted the method they're going to be using for State: http://socalscioly.org/downloads/Sounds ... esting.pdf

It looks like they're using Audacity instead of Google Science Journal.
SciolyHarsh

Post by SciolyHarsh »

killer225whale wrote:SoCal SciOly just posted the method they're going to be using for State: http://socalscioly.org/downloads/Sounds ... esting.pdf

It looks like they're using Audacity instead of Google Science Journal.
And it looks like they are going for best pitch rather than average. Huh. Not bad. I'd hope for more states to do this, because average pitch is a painful process; it really dents the performance of strike-based instruments(unless you can somehow strike so fast that the delay is negligible).
2017-2018 Events: Chemistry Lab, Dynamic Planet, Microbe Mission, Experimental Design, Rocks and Minerals

2018-2019 Events: Dynamic Planet, Astronomy, Sounds of Music, Circuit Lab, Geologic Mapping
killer225whale

Post by killer225whale »

SciolyHarsh wrote:And it looks like they are going for best pitch rather than average. Huh. Not bad. I'd hope for more states to do this, because average pitch is a painful process; it really dents the performance of strike-based instruments(unless you can somehow strike so fast that the delay is negligible).
I don't really know if that's "best pitch" so much as just finding the most prevalent pitch over the entirety of the 5 second sample. Tuners probably use a similar process but over much shorter samples (and also probably a rolling sample).
SciolyHarsh

Post by SciolyHarsh »

2017-2018 Events: Chemistry Lab, Dynamic Planet, Microbe Mission, Experimental Design, Rocks and Minerals

2018-2019 Events: Dynamic Planet, Astronomy, Sounds of Music, Circuit Lab, Geologic Mapping
SciolyHarsh

Post by SciolyHarsh »

AAH2020
State: GA

Post by AAH2020 »

What is the points penalty if your instrument's notes are in an octave above the range specified by the rules? The rules apparently designate the allowed range as F2-F5 and our scale is C6-C7. How many points would we lose if we still used that instrument?
killer225whale

Post by killer225whale »

AAH2020 wrote:What is the points penalty if your instrument's notes are in an octave above the range specified by the rules? The rules apparently designate the allowed range as F2-F5 and our scale is C6-C7. How many points would we lose if we still used that instrument?
You'd basically lose all the points for the Pitch Score.

Return to “2019 Lab Events”