Sounds of Music C

windu34
Staff Emeritus
Staff Emeritus
Division: Grad
State: FL

Re: Sounds of Music C

Post by windu34 »

KhaiR17 wrote:I was wondering, can I use blanks? They are reeds that are not fully shaved so I have to work on them still. They just make it easier than buying normal cane and having to cut it.
I think this is going to be a question best answered by submitting an FAQ to Soinc.org.
Link
Boca Raton Community High School Alumni
University of Florida Science Olympiad Co-Founder
Florida Science Olympiad Board of Directors
[email protected] || windu34's Userpage
hippo9
Division: C
State: IN

Post by hippo9 »

I know a one octave major scale must be played, but this mean 8 notes (restarting the sequence) or just the regular 7? I ask because the pitch scores would add up to 36 if 8 notes were required, but major scales only have 7 notes.
2018: Battery Buggy, Road Scholar, Roller Coaster
2019: Chem Lab, Code, Disease, Fossils, Geo Maps, Sounds
2020 and 2021: Astro, Chem Lab, Code, Fossils, Geo Maps, Sounds

When you miss nats twice by a combined two points :|
mjcox2000
State: VA
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by mjcox2000 »

hippo9 wrote:I know a one octave major scale must be played, but this mean 8 notes (restarting the sequence) or just the regular 7? I ask because the pitch scores would add up to 36 if 8 notes were required, but major scales only have 7 notes.
A major scale consists of 8 notes, not 7 — it contains the tonic in two different octaves.
MIT ‘23
TJHSST ‘19
Longfellow MS

See my user page for nationals medals and event supervising experience.
hippo9
State: IN

Post by hippo9 »

mjcox2000 wrote:
hippo9 wrote:I know a one octave major scale must be played, but this mean 8 notes (restarting the sequence) or just the regular 7? I ask because the pitch scores would add up to 36 if 8 notes were required, but major scales only have 7 notes.
A major scale consists of 8 notes, not 7 — it contains the tonic in two different octaves.
Ok thanks! I was just making sure because the scales only have 7 distinct notes.
2018: Battery Buggy, Road Scholar, Roller Coaster
2019: Chem Lab, Code, Disease, Fossils, Geo Maps, Sounds
2020 and 2021: Astro, Chem Lab, Code, Fossils, Geo Maps, Sounds

When you miss nats twice by a combined two points :|
SciolyHarsh

Post by SciolyHarsh »

Haven't been able to find out how to reach the correct answer for this question. So, the first question is:

At a party, there is a louder stereo blaring some dank music. I'm a party animal so I'm standing 1 meter away from the stereo and I perceive a sound intensity of 10^-1 , what is the approximate decibel level that I perceive to the nearest tenth?

So I got 110 dB for this, from doing I(dB)=10log(I/I*). I'm not able to get a correct answer for part 2, which is:

You are more far away, 20 meters, because you are a normal person, what is the sound intensity you perceive and the approximate decibel level?

My answer for the sound intensity is 1/4000 and 83.979 dB for the decibel level. The answer key says it's 0.00025 dB and 10^-3 .

How would you get the correct answers for part 2?
2017-2018 Events: Chemistry Lab, Dynamic Planet, Microbe Mission, Experimental Design, Rocks and Minerals

2018-2019 Events: Dynamic Planet, Astronomy, Sounds of Music, Circuit Lab, Geologic Mapping
UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: PA

Post by UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F »

SciolyHarsh wrote:Haven't been able to find out how to reach the correct answer for this question. So, the first question is:

At a party, there is a louder stereo blaring some dank music. I'm a party animal so I'm standing 1 meter away from the stereo and I perceive a sound intensity of 10^-1 , what is the approximate decibel level that I perceive to the nearest tenth?

So I got 110 dB for this, from doing I(dB)=10log(I/I*). I'm not able to get a correct answer for part 2, which is:

You are more far away, 20 meters, because you are a normal person, what is the sound intensity you perceive and the approximate decibel level?

My answer for the sound intensity is 1/4000 and 83.979 dB for the decibel level. The answer key says it's 0.00025 dB and 10^-3 .

You are correct. Ignore the answer key.
SciolyHarsh

Post by SciolyHarsh »

UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F wrote:
SciolyHarsh wrote:Haven't been able to find out how to reach the correct answer for this question. So, the first question is:

You are correct. Ignore the answer key.
Thank you! I spent so much time stressing over a wrong key!
2017-2018 Events: Chemistry Lab, Dynamic Planet, Microbe Mission, Experimental Design, Rocks and Minerals

2018-2019 Events: Dynamic Planet, Astronomy, Sounds of Music, Circuit Lab, Geologic Mapping
SciolyHarsh

Post by SciolyHarsh »

One more question!

This one also has two parts.

A nylon string on a violin has a density of 1200 kg/m^3 with a diameter of 4x10^-3 meters. The string is held with a tension of 220 N and the frequency of the first harmonic of the G string is 196 Hz. What is the length of the string?

So I solved this and got 0.308 m, which is correct, but I don't know how to solve the next part.

If we wanted to play one octave up on the open string from the fundamental G in question 12, how much do we need to increase the tension?

TheSquaad

Post by TheSquaad »

SciolyHarsh wrote:One more question!

This one also has two parts.

A nylon string on a violin has a density of 1200 kg/m^3 with a diameter of 4x10^-3 meters. The string is held with a tension of 220 N and the frequency of the first harmonic of the G string is 196 Hz. What is the length of the string?

So I solved this and got 0.308 m, which is correct, but I don't know how to solve the next part.

If we wanted to play one octave up on the open string from the fundamental G in question 12, how much do we need to increase the tension?
You double the frequency to go up an octave. Because tension is square routed, it needs to multiply by a factor of 4 to increase frequency by a factor of 2
CaTaStRoPhY
State: NY

Post by CaTaStRoPhY »

The rule manual mentions "Basic terminology regarding sound, sound production, and related science terms". What does this mean, specifically? Anyone have resources for this section?
2018 events: Ecology, Microbe Mission, Thermodynamics, Herpetology
2019 events: Thermodynamics, Mousetrap Vehicle, Sounds of Music

Return to “2019 Lab Events”