Anatomy and Physiology B/C

donutsandcupcakes

Re: Anatomy and Physiology B/C

Post by donutsandcupcakes »

Also, do you guys have a way to find out if you're ready for the regionals test? And what are your last minute preparations/things you revisit?
amk578
Division: C
State: IN

Post by amk578 »

donutsandcupcakes wrote:Also, do you guys have a way to find out if you're ready for the regionals test? And what are your last minute preparations/things you revisit?
Take practice tests for sure (which you should do for all of your study events), I mean idk anything else that is a good indicator of readiness.
2018 - Anatomy, Crime Busters, & Road
2019 - Anatomy, Disease, Heredity, & Road
2020 - Anatomy, DGenes, Disease, Forensics, Ping Pong Parachute, & Protein Modeling
2021 - Anatomy, Chem Lab, DGenes, Disease, Machines, & Protein Modeling
bp31000
State: TN
Been thanked: 0

Post by bp31000 »

WangwithaTang wrote:
bp31000 wrote:
cbrant554 wrote: You should know the calculation for pulse rate and blood pressure and what instruments to use. There shouldn't be any hands on testing of heart rate, or not from what I've seen.
Thanks!
Wait, so do they use any other instruments other than the ECG? Also, I can't find any source explaining the Frank-Starling's Law of the Heart. What is it exactly?
i guess they can ask questions about tachycardia and bradicardia arrhythmia etc all detected via EKG, also sphigmomanometer for bloodpressure measurements, may be you need to identify the instrument. most hospitals use digital ones but the original one used to be mercury and manual inflation.
as for frank starling's law, you can read the page about it in a site cvphysiology, the picture of pressure volume loop is one that could be asked. (i am not sure if i can post links here, hence just posting how to find the article.
State & Regional 2019 events B
<3 Solar system, Water Quality, Anatomy and Physiology- 1st State & Regional <3
:roll: Heredity 4th state, 2nd regional :roll:
WangwithaTang

Post by WangwithaTang »

bp31000 wrote:
WangwithaTang wrote:
bp31000 wrote: Thanks!
Wait, so do they use any other instruments other than the ECG? Also, I can't find any source explaining the Frank-Starling's Law of the Heart. What is it exactly?
i guess they can ask questions about tachycardia and bradicardia arrhythmia etc all detected via EKG, also sphigmomanometer for bloodpressure measurements, may be you need to identify the instrument. most hospitals use digital ones but the original one used to be mercury and manual inflation.
as for frank starling's law, you can read the page about it in a site cvphysiology, the picture of pressure volume loop is one that could be asked. (i am not sure if i can post links here, hence just posting how to find the article.
Okay, thanks.
donutsandcupcakes

WangwithaTang wrote:
bp31000 wrote:
WangwithaTang wrote: Wait, so do they use any other instruments other than the ECG? Also, I can't find any source explaining the Frank-Starling's Law of the Heart. What is it exactly?
Okay, thanks.
Very similar to the previous question, but did anybody find an easier explanation of the law? Because I found some sources, but they didn't help me understand the law. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
bp31000
State: TN

Post by bp31000 »

donutsandcupcakes wrote:
WangwithaTang wrote:
bp31000 wrote: i guess they can ask questions about tachycardia and bradicardia arrhythmia etc all detected via EKG, also sphigmomanometer for bloodpressure measurements, may be you need to identify the instrument. most hospitals use digital ones but the original one used to be mercury and manual inflation.
Okay, thanks.
Very similar to the previous question, but did anybody find an easier explanation of the law? Because I found some sources, but they didn't help me understand the law. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
basically starlings law says that the more ventricular muscle is stretched by blood (or any muscle for that matter), the more it will contract, so better pumping. so more diastolic filling -> high end diastolic volume, more stretching of ventricular muscle, better pumping. essentially you are increasing stroke volume and Cardiac output when more blood fills ventricles.
hope this helps.
State & Regional 2019 events B
<3 Solar system, Water Quality, Anatomy and Physiology- 1st State & Regional <3
:roll: Heredity 4th state, 2nd regional :roll:
sciencepeeps
State: IL
Has thanked: 0

Post by sciencepeeps »

bp31000 wrote:
cbrant554 wrote: You should know the calculation for pulse rate and blood pressure and what instruments to use. There shouldn't be any hands on testing of heart rate, or not from what I've seen.
Thanks!
In a div B competition a few weeks ago, competitors were asked to take someone’s blood pressure
18/19 Anatomy, Boomilever, widi

17/18 region/state/nation
Anatomy (2/6/-)
Mystery Architecture (-/2/-)
Towers (3/2/3)
Invitationals: 38
Regionals:11
State:6
Nationals:1
donutsandcupcakes

bp31000 wrote:
donutsandcupcakes wrote:
WangwithaTang wrote: Okay, thanks.
basically starlings law says that the more ventricular muscle is stretched by blood (or any muscle for that matter), the more it will contract, so better pumping. so more diastolic filling -> high end diastolic volume, more stretching of ventricular muscle, better pumping. essentially you are increasing stroke volume and Cardiac output when more blood fills ventricles.
hope this helps.
Thanks, I appreciate it.
donutsandcupcakes

sciencepeeps wrote:
bp31000 wrote:
Thanks!
In a div B competition a few weeks ago, competitors were asked to take someone’s blood pressure
Was it a regionals competition?
sciencepeeps
State: IL
Has thanked: 0

Post by sciencepeeps »

donutsandcupcakes wrote:
sciencepeeps wrote:
bp31000 wrote: Thanks!
Was it a regionals competition?
No, just an invitational.
18/19 Anatomy, Boomilever, widi

17/18 region/state/nation
Anatomy (2/6/-)
Mystery Architecture (-/2/-)
Towers (3/2/3)
Invitationals: 38
Regionals:11
State:6
Nationals:1

Return to “2019 Study Events”