Designer Genes C

User avatar
venules
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Posts: 75
Joined: January 7th, 2018, 2:32 pm
Division: Grad
State: NC
Pronouns: She/Her/Hers
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Designer Genes C

Post by venules » September 23rd, 2018, 2:19 pm

On a similar note, for "human karyotype analysis for nondisjunction disorders", would that focus solely on identification/consequences or would it also broach the causes?
NCSO Alumna, '13-19 | Duke University '23

User avatar
pikachu4919
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 713
Joined: December 7th, 2012, 2:30 pm
Division: Grad
State: IN
Pronouns: She/Her/Hers
Has thanked: 85 times
Been thanked: 123 times

Re: Designer Genes C

Post by pikachu4919 » September 30th, 2018, 6:09 pm

venules wrote:On a similar note, for "human karyotype analysis for nondisjunction disorders", would that focus solely on identification/consequences or would it also broach the causes?
Again, we don't know exactly what the rules committee intended with the way they wrote those rules, unless rules clarifications get submitted/answered/posted or unless someone from the life sciences committee cares to pop up on the forums and explain. In my personal opinion I think there's a good chance that people who write tests for Designer Genes will probably cover the mutations themselves because those are literally THE REASON why they exist, but again, *shrugs*

Disclaimer: the above is my opinion and may not necessarily reflect the true intention of the committee overlords.
Carmel HS (IN) '16
Purdue BioE '21
Nationals 2016 ~ 4th place Forensics


"It is important to draw wisdom from different places. If you take it from only one place, it becomes rigid and stale." -Uncle Iroh

About me || Rate my tests!
Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.

MY CABBAGES!

User avatar
Unome
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 4287
Joined: January 26th, 2014, 12:48 pm
Division: Grad
State: GA
Has thanked: 183 times
Been thanked: 59 times

Re: Designer Genes C

Post by Unome » September 30th, 2018, 7:21 pm

I stand by my speculative opinion that the reason for the discrepancy on mutations is because after the Heredity rules were reworked, their contents were transferred into DG without much looking into how the specific wording of the two fit together. I believe the transfer didn't happen until after SOSI.
Userpage
Chattahoochee High School Class of 2018
Georgia Tech Class of 2022

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.

nicholasmaurer
Coach
Coach
Posts: 422
Joined: May 19th, 2017, 10:55 am
Division: Grad
State: OH
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 21 times

Re: Designer Genes C

Post by nicholasmaurer » November 15th, 2018, 9:38 am

pikachu4919 wrote:
venules wrote:On a similar note, for "human karyotype analysis for nondisjunction disorders", would that focus solely on identification/consequences or would it also broach the causes?
Again, we don't know exactly what the rules committee intended with the way they wrote those rules, unless rules clarifications get submitted/answered/posted or unless someone from the life sciences committee cares to pop up on the forums and explain. In my personal opinion I think there's a good chance that people who write tests for Designer Genes will probably cover the mutations themselves because those are literally THE REASON why they exist, but again, *shrugs*

Disclaimer: the above is my opinion and may not necessarily reflect the true intention of the committee overlords.
They have posted as response to my FAQ. Mutation types are in-scope, as expected.
Assistant Coach and Alumnus ('14) - Solon High School Science Olympiad
Tournament Director - Northeast Ohio Regional Tournament
Tournament Director - Solon High School Science Olympiad Invitational

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.

sheinbergd19
Member
Member
Posts: 1
Joined: November 17th, 2018, 12:53 pm
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Designer Genes C

Post by sheinbergd19 » November 17th, 2018, 12:57 pm

Should I devote space on my note sheet to a codon chart, or will that information most likely be provided?

User avatar
jaspattack
Wiki Moderator
Wiki Moderator
Posts: 97
Joined: April 30th, 2018, 8:29 am
Division: C
State: MO
Has thanked: 95 times
Been thanked: 104 times
Contact:

Re: Designer Genes C

Post by jaspattack » November 19th, 2018, 12:41 pm

sheinbergd19 wrote:Should I devote space on my note sheet to a codon chart, or will that information most likely be provided?
I would go ahead and add it just in case, since I don't think a codon chart will be provided. You can always change your note sheet later if you have other information that's more important/you find yourself not using it.
CHS '21 | Jaspattack's Userpage

2020-21 Events: Designer Genes, Forensics, Ornithology, Protein Modeling

I edit the wiki sometimes.

Vortexx
Member
Member
Posts: 30
Joined: November 19th, 2018, 8:35 am
State: IN
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Designer Genes C

Post by Vortexx » January 19th, 2019, 7:06 pm

Should I include Hardy-Weinberg in my ref sheet? Based on the rules, it doesn't seem that the conditions nor the equation should show up on the test, but I may be wrong.
[hide]Events|2017-Mission, Hovercraft
2018- Mission, Hover, Codebusters, Source Code

User avatar
Unome
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 4287
Joined: January 26th, 2014, 12:48 pm
Division: Grad
State: GA
Has thanked: 183 times
Been thanked: 59 times

Re: Designer Genes C

Post by Unome » January 20th, 2019, 8:09 am

Vortexx wrote:Should I include Hardy-Weinberg in my ref sheet? Based on the rules, it doesn't seem that the conditions nor the equation should show up on the test, but I may be wrong.
It could show up, simply because there's likely to be overlap between event supervisors and bio teachers/professors who may assume that this is covered.
Userpage
Chattahoochee High School Class of 2018
Georgia Tech Class of 2022

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.

User avatar
platypusomelette
Member
Member
Posts: 79
Joined: May 7th, 2017, 2:41 pm
Division: C
State: NY
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Designer Genes C

Post by platypusomelette » February 12th, 2019, 9:14 am

I'm just curious did anyone find their regionals a looooot harder than they expected? Mine was spouting stuff straight out of alberts. Like supercoiling and topoisomerase IV (which i did not even realize there were multiple pigeon types of and that they weren't exclusive to eukaryotes)
island trash trees hs
anat: reg 4th
herp: reg 6th
genes: reg 5th
protein: reg 2nd
disease: reg 15th
fossils: reg 4th
2016: a&p 1st, fossils 3rd
2017: a&p 3rd, herp 14th
2018: a&p 1st, microbe 8th, herp 13th :/
pigeon YEA WE MADE STATES

ScienceRobo
Member
Member
Posts: 6
Joined: February 17th, 2019, 2:33 pm
Division: C
State: PA
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Designer Genes C

Post by ScienceRobo » February 20th, 2019, 11:46 am

Anyone have recommendations for textbooks and specific chapters to study?

Post Reply

Return to “2019 Study Events”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest