Disease Detectives B/C

Tailsfan101
Division: Grad
State: ID

Re: Disease Detectives B/C

Post by Tailsfan101 »

Birdmusic wrote:How do you guys usually deal with disease trivia on tests?
I read massive medical reference books, such as the 1800-page one my parents got me for Christmas. It's very informative, and it's fun!
(DISCLAIMER: This method will not work for everyone.)
"Blessed are you when people insult you and persecute you, and falsely say all kinds of evil against you because of Me. Rejoice and be glad, for your reward in heaven is great; for in the same way they persecuted the prophets who were before you." Matthew 5:11-12

I have no regrets.
Birdmusic
Division: C
State: CA
Pronouns: She/Her/Hers

Post by Birdmusic »

Also I was just informed that one of the people that medalled at States had only done Disease for 2 weeks, so I want to know some good resources to improve cuz I honestly just feel so down rn and disappointed in myself. I know I could've done better but I'm exactly sure where to go from where I am right now.
I like birds.
Killboe
State: AR
Has thanked: 0

Post by Killboe »

Birdmusic wrote:Also I was just informed that one of the people that medalled at States had only done Disease for 2 weeks, so I want to know some good resources to improve cuz I honestly just feel so down rn and disappointed in myself. I know I could've done better but I'm exactly sure where to go from where I am right now.
I know how you feel, I beat the first place team in Solar System at states at regionals by a whole 2 times their score. Then at states all of a sudden they get 1st place by a large margin, we get 8th. It really sucks not getting placed but you have to live with it.

Personally, for disease detectives I would recommend the CDC Principles of Epidemiology. At nationals, (if you are going). Most of the questions, like 70% will have to do with cases. So I would practice writing case definitions, different kinds of studies, epi-curves, and other things that have to do with cases. Good luck.

PS - Aren't you the girl from Mira Loma?
Birdmusic

Post by Birdmusic »

Killboe wrote:
Birdmusic wrote:Also I was just informed that one of the people that medalled at States had only done Disease for 2 weeks, so I want to know some good resources to improve cuz I honestly just feel so down rn and disappointed in myself. I know I could've done better but I'm exactly sure where to go from where I am right now.
I know how you feel, I beat the first place team in Solar System at states at regionals by a whole 2 times their score. Then at states all of a sudden they get 1st place by a large margin, we get 8th. It really sucks not getting placed but you have to live with it.

Personally, for disease detectives I would recommend the CDC Principles of Epidemiology. At nationals, (if you are going). Most of the questions, like 70% will have to do with cases. So I would practice writing case definitions, different kinds of studies, epi-curves, and other things that have to do with cases. Good luck.

Thanks for the advice!
No... Mira Loma got first in disease, I'm from Bay Area. I think you're confusing our GGSO scores, we got 6th and Mira Loma 5th.

Also our school has never gone to Nats lol
I like birds.
Killboe
State: AR

Post by Killboe »

Birdmusic wrote:
Killboe wrote:

Thanks for the advice!
No... Mira Loma got first in disease, I'm from Bay Area. I think you're confusing our GGSO scores, we got 6th and Mira Loma 5th.

My bad, I thought you were somebody from the discord.
Birdmusic

Post by Birdmusic »

Killboe wrote:
Birdmusic wrote:
Killboe wrote:

Thanks for the advice!

My bad, I thought you were somebody from the discord.
No worries, birds are very popular animals. (Assuming you looked my username and it was similar to that persons)
I like birds.
Froggie
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by Froggie »

What’s the difference between coherence and biological plausibility? They both seem to be talking about how the association makes sense with current known info.
"A lot of people have quotes in their signature. Maybe I should have a quote in my signature. "
- Froggie
UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: PA

Post by UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F »

Froggie wrote:What’s the difference between coherence and biological plausibility? They both seem to be talking about how the association makes sense with current known info.
Plausibility is when there's a proposed (plausible) method that the cause could lead into the effect. Coherence is if the interpretation of cause-and-effect does not go against the existing facts of the field.*

*Probably
Froggie
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by Froggie »

UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F wrote:
Froggie wrote:What’s the difference between coherence and biological plausibility? They both seem to be talking about how the association makes sense with current known info.
Plausibility is when there's a proposed (plausible) method that the cause could lead into the effect. Coherence is if the interpretation of cause-and-effect does not go against the existing facts of the field.*

*Probably
I see, thanks!
"A lot of people have quotes in their signature. Maybe I should have a quote in my signature. "
- Froggie
izzanom
State: NC
Been thanked: 0

Post by izzanom »

Does anyone have any good materials for nationals? I've been doing this event for a couple of years and am really trying to place well this year. I've taken lots of good invitational tests but nats is always kinda different since its made by the cdc

Return to “2019 Study Events”