Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: C
State: PA

Re: Disease Detectives B/C

Post by UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F »

nmsciencemom wrote:
Birdmusic wrote:
Anomaly wrote: Oh my god don't get started with that. Proctors must be thinking "hm, the event has the word "disease" in it, so why don't we just make most of the test about the diseases?"
We got pictures of microbes and were asked to identify it. I know this isn’t technically against the rules, but I couldn’t help but go “wait did we walk into microbe?”

Also, the steps to investigating an outbreak in the scioly wiki is different from the one on the cdc website, which one should be used?
Oh you too? So annoying that students were asked to identify vague EMs of cocci and distinguish them (ok one distinguishable as Ebola). This is not Microbes!!! And also not rote-memorization of diseases and symptoms/incubation periods, as stated in in the new handouts. Maybe event supervisors will pay attention...
It is true that in a way it doesn't matter as to the topic, except at Nationals. Nationals always has one of their scenarios on topic (food-borne, environmental), but now maybe topics are no longer a thing, so we can ignore focus on them.
I'm personally fine with generallish questions like "Describe the natural history of <disease>" (as long as the disease isn't esoteric, e.g. tuberculosis, salmonellosis, cholera, etc.) or questions like "What kind of agent is <disease> caused by" or even questions like "Give an example of a disease that is foodborne and have an incubation period of under a week" or "What are the three main shapes of bacteria?", but I agree that a question like "Using this image of the bacteria found in the victim's blood, determine what disease the victim has" is really pushing it. This event is about outbreak investigation, not diseases!
drcubbin
Division: B
State: NY

Post by drcubbin »

UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F wrote:
WhatScience? wrote:
UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F wrote: Nothing much has really changed. It's just more explicit focus on the actual investigation of an outbreak, prevention, surveillance, etc. Also, there's no topic this year. The rules for this year are just less vague than they were before (although I don't see types of agents on the new rules? I think they'll still be tested though, since that's pretty basic stuff).
So basically just less rote memorization of diseases than before?

If so, go you soinc!!!! Making good decisions like that.
No, these rules say that competitors much "Understand the Natural History and Spectrum of Disease", which might include all of that stuff. How much depth you have to go in would depend on the ES. (Also, listing out a bunch of diseases wasn't a huge part of the event in the first place, at least by the tests I took.) It's worth noting that knowing symptoms and causes of specific diseases wasn't in the original rules either as far as I can see, but it's understandable that ESes would want to test on it.
It was told to the coaches at the SOSI that the new format was intended to be less rote memorization and yes, more of the actual investigation of an outbreak, prevention, surveillance, etc... But as pointed out, it is up to the ES (so let's hope we all read the rules carefully since this is one event that I think has taken a dramatic turn for the better).
drcubbin
Division: B
State: NY

Post by drcubbin »

Anyone have a good working definition for "percentage rate?"
UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

drcubbin wrote:Anyone have a good working definition for "percentage rate?"
I've never heard of that, but I suppose it's just a rate expressed as a percentage.

A rate is a measure of the frequency with which an event occurs in a defined population in a defined time.
Galahad
Division: Grad
State: HI

Post by Galahad »

All things considered I'm glad they decided to remove topics. The tests rarely pertained to them anyway, and when they did it was seldom done correctly. The 2017 and 2018 Nationals DD had NOT ONE QUESTION in Foodbourne illnesses.

Besides, the "topic" takes away from the true essence of the event, which is not knowing what the disease will be and figuring it out.

I don't know, what do you guys think? I've been dying to hear what other people in DD think about this, being the only veteran in the event at my school. Should the rules revert to topic format or is this a change in the right direction?
Finally an alumnus!

Highlands Intermediate School '16-'19
Pearl City High School '19-'22
DMAH '18-'22
UC Irvine '26

https://scioly.org/wiki/index.php/User:Galahad
Unome
State: GA

Post by Unome »

Galahad wrote:All things considered I'm glad they decided to remove topics. The tests rarely pertained to them anyway, and when they did it was seldom done correctly. The 2017 and 2018 Nationals DD had NOT ONE QUESTION in Foodbourne illnesses.

Besides, the "topic" takes away from the true essence of the event, which is not knowing what the disease will be and figuring it out.

I don't know, what do you guys think? I've been dying to hear what other people in DD think about this, being the only veteran in the event at my school. Should the rules revert to topic format or is this a change in the right direction?
I'm supportive of the changes, including the removal of topic, for the reasons you describe.
Userpage

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.
UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Galahad wrote:All things considered I'm glad they decided to remove topics. The tests rarely pertained to them anyway, and when they did it was seldom done correctly. The 2017 and 2018 Nationals DD had NOT ONE QUESTION in Foodbourne illnesses.

I would like topics if there was even one section in the rules that mentioned them and had provisions about what we should actually know about them. The only place in previous years where the topic was even mentioned was the short description of the event.
Galahad
State: HI

Post by Galahad »

Does anybody at all know where I can find or what the "the 5 step Process for Surveillance " is?
I've searched it up a lot and can't find anything solid, nor 5 steps.
Finally an alumnus!

Highlands Intermediate School '16-'19
Pearl City High School '19-'22
DMAH '18-'22
UC Irvine '26

https://scioly.org/wiki/index.php/User:Galahad
UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Galahad wrote:Does anybody at all know where I can find or what the "the 5 step Process for Surveillance " is?
I've searched it up a lot and can't find anything solid, nor 5 steps.
I'm not sure... the WHO seems to list three steps http://www.who.int/ncd_surveillance/en/ ... _dec03.pdf
Nba2302
State: MN
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by Nba2302 »

What are the best sites for Disease detectives for notes (I'm new to this event)

Return to “2019 Study Events”