Disease Detectives B/C

Rossyspsce

Re: Disease Detectives B/C

Post by Rossyspsce »

Anyone know all the "fathers of _____"? i.e.William Farr, father medical statistics
UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: C
State: PA

Post by UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F »

Rossyspsce wrote:Anyone know all the "fathers of _____"? i.e.William Farr, father medical statistics
I'm assuming there's no comprehensive list since there a ton of fields someone could be the father of... I would just recommend looking up every name you can and clicking any related links on Wikipedia.
Here's two I guess. Hippocrates is the father of medicine. John Snow is one of the fathers of modern epidemiology.
Birdmusic
State: CA
Pronouns: She/Her/Hers

Post by Birdmusic »

What are the first symptoms of a disease known as? (Ugh why doesn't the A-B test have an answer key and why does google fail to give me useful answers?)

Also, If the behavior of a participant changes after the know they are being studied (ie people who are in an experiment for pesticide exposure start using less pesticides after the study starts) what bias would it be? I know if they change their answers to be more socially acceptable its the social desiriability bias but what about behavior?
I like birds.
drcubbin
Division: B
State: NY

Post by drcubbin »

Birdmusic wrote:What are the first symptoms of a disease known as? (Ugh why doesn't the A-B test have an answer key and why does google fail to give me useful answers?)

Also, If the behavior of a participant changes after the know they are being studied (ie people who are in an experiment for pesticide exposure start using less pesticides after the study starts) what bias would it be? I know if they change their answers to be more socially acceptable its the social desiriability bias but what about behavior?
I am guessing... a sign? Doctors refer to signs and symptoms, but a sign is "objectively" based, rather than "subjectively" observed.
UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

drcubbin wrote:
Birdmusic wrote:What are the first symptoms of a disease known as? (Ugh why doesn't the A-B test have an answer key and why does google fail to give me useful answers?)

I am guessing... a sign? Doctors refer to signs and symptoms, but a sign is "objectively" based, rather than "subjectively" observed.
I don't think it's called a sign. I believe the answer would be prodromal symptom.

For the latter question, I think it's the Hawthorne effect/observer effect.

(Had to look both of these up...)
Birdmusic

Post by Birdmusic »

UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F wrote:
drcubbin wrote:

I don't think it's called a sign. I believe the answer would be prodromal symptom.

Thanks! (I found something called performance bias, can anyone figure out if it and hawthorne are different?)

Edit: According to https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q ... A2OvIXLdU3 performance falls under hawthorne effects, if a test asked me to put one as the answer should I put both?
Last edited by Birdmusic on April 4th, 2019, 7:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I like birds.
UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Birdmusic wrote:
drcubbin wrote: I am guessing... a sign? Doctors refer to signs and symptoms, but a sign is "objectively" based, rather than "subjectively" observed.

Thanks! (I found something called performance bias, can anyone figure out if it and hawthorne are different?)
Performance bias is when the study is impossible to conduct blind, so participants know what group they're in. This results in the control group acting differently than the experimental group, in a way that was not controlled for.

In contrast, the Hawthorne effect is when participants of a study act differently because they know they are being observed.
Birdmusic

Post by Birdmusic »

Birdmusic wrote:
UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F wrote: I don't think it's called a sign. I believe the answer would be prodromal symptom.

Performance bias is when the study is impossible to conduct blind, so participants know what group they're in. This results in the control group acting differently than the experimental group, in a way that was not controlled for.

In contrast, the Hawthorne effect is when participants of a study act differently because they know they are being observed.
Thank you!
I like birds.
Birdmusic

Post by Birdmusic »

How do you guys usually deal with disease trivia on tests?
I like birds.
Froggie
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by Froggie »

Birdmusic wrote:How do you guys usually deal with disease trivia on tests?
I usually guess on them, or I’ll try to pull out some information from the depths of my memory to help me.
"A lot of people have quotes in their signature. Maybe I should have a quote in my signature. "
- Froggie

Return to “2019 Study Events”