Disease Detectives B/C

opal555
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Disease Detectives B/C

Post by opal555 »

I haven't been able to find this: What are the types of prevention and in which situations are they best in? For example, vaccines, or quarantine. Could someone tell me about the types of prevention (I think that's what they are called but if not, please tell me the real name) and the situations in which they are appriopriate? Thanks in advance.
UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: C
State: PA

Post by UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F »

opal555 wrote:I haven't been able to find this: What are the types of prevention and in which situations are they best in? For example, vaccines, or quarantine. Could someone tell me about the types of prevention (I think that's what they are called but if not, please tell me the real name) and the situations in which they are appriopriate? Thanks in advance.
Do you mean primary, secondary, tertiary, and quaternary?
coopsadoodles
State: CT

Post by coopsadoodles »

UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F wrote:
opal555 wrote:I haven't been able to find this: What are the types of prevention and in which situations are they best in? For example, vaccines, or quarantine. Could someone tell me about the types of prevention (I think that's what they are called but if not, please tell me the real name) and the situations in which they are appriopriate? Thanks in advance.
dont forget primordial lol
bedford ms '20, staples hs '24
chem lab, green gen, enviro chem, widi
opal555

Post by opal555 »

coopsadoodles wrote:
No, like vaccines or quarantine. Like, the things to you do to actually prevent the disease. Primary, secondary, and co. are categories for the thing I'm asking about.
opal555

Post by opal555 »

opal555 wrote:
coopsadoodles wrote:
UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F wrote: Do you mean primary, secondary, tertiary, and quaternary?
No, like vaccines or quarantine. Like, the things to you do to actually prevent the disease. Primary, secondary, and co. are categories for the thing I'm asking about.
CONTROL METHODS. That's what it is. I found it but I still need to know in which situations they are appropriate,
opal555

Post by opal555 »

Any advice for nationals? It's the first time for our school and I don't know what to expect.
UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

opal555 wrote:
opal555 wrote:
coopsadoodles wrote:
CONTROL METHODS. That's what it is. I found it but I still need to know in which situations they are appropriate,
There are many different control methods groups like the WHO can use; when you're thinking about possible control methods, think about breaking the chain of infection. Possible prevention measures can range from distributing pamphlets about the dangers of unprotected sex, quarantining suspected cases and isolating confirmed cases, giving locals mosquito nets and insect repellent while also eliminating unnecessary standing water, etc.
opal555

Post by opal555 »

opal555 wrote:
opal555 wrote:
There are many different control methods groups like the WHO can use; when you're thinking about possible control methods, think about breaking the chain of infection. Possible prevention measures can range from distributing pamphlets about the dangers of unprotected sex, quarantining suspected cases and isolating confirmed cases, giving locals mosquito nets and insect repellent while also eliminating unnecessary standing water, etc.
Thank you. What if you get a graph, showing this: x=day y=number of new patients infected (0,1) (1,0) (2, 1) What would be the control method for that? Asking because it was on the regionals test. I believe that it is quarantine.
UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

opal555 wrote:
opal555 wrote: CONTROL METHODS. That's what it is. I found it but I still need to know in which situations they are appropriate,
Thank you. What if you get a graph, showing this: x=day y=number of new patients infected (0,1) (1,0) (2, 1) What would be the control method for that? Asking because it was on the regionals test. I believe that it is quarantine.
If you had a guess as to who else could be exposed to the disease, then quarantine would definitely be possible. Isolation might also be effective. Further control would probably require knowledge of some of the characteristics of the disease.
Tailsfan101
Division: Grad
State: ID

Post by Tailsfan101 »

opal555 wrote:Any advice for nationals? It's the first time for our school and I don't know what to expect.
The National DD tests tend to be quite long (~20 pages), so my advice is to split up the test, if that isn't already your strategy. They also tend to have one or two outbreak scenarios.
"Blessed are you when people insult you and persecute you, and falsely say all kinds of evil against you because of Me. Rejoice and be glad, for your reward in heaven is great; for in the same way they persecuted the prophets who were before you." Matthew 5:11-12

I have no regrets.

Return to “2019 Study Events”