Disease Detectives B/C

fastllama
Division: C
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Disease Detectives B/C

Post by fastllama »

opal555 wrote:Any advice for nationals? It's the first time for our school and I don't know what to expect.
I agree with Tailsfan101, since that's one of the most challenging aspects about the nationals tests. I would also practice outbreak scenarios because the entire test is like solving an outbreak that you're dealt with. Make sure you know how to APPLY your knowledge. The test has very little (if at all) reliance on memorization, but application is key.
jimmy-bond
Division: Grad
State: OH
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by jimmy-bond »

Tailsfan101 wrote:
opal555 wrote:Any advice for nationals? It's the first time for our school and I don't know what to expect.
The National DD tests tend to be quite long (~20 pages), so my advice is to split up the test, if that isn't already your strategy. They also tend to have one or two outbreak scenarios.
Yeah. I distinctly remember the test two years ago being around 36 pages. It's not so much concepts you study for; it's more about using logic.
PCHS, HI '21 | CWRU, OH '25
Code(16), DD(40), FQ(39),4&6(36), WQ(27)
CriB(26), DP (11), FF(1), MM(14), P&P(6)
CriB(36), DD(35), FF(2), MM(20)
opal555

Post by opal555 »

jimmy-bond wrote:
Tailsfan101 wrote:
The National DD tests tend to be quite long (~20 pages), so my advice is to split up the test, if that isn't already your strategy. They also tend to have one or two outbreak scenarios.
Yeah. I distinctly remember the test two years ago being around 36 pages. It's not so much concepts you study for; it's more about using logic.
thank you
opal555

Post by opal555 »

I just wanted to confirm that this is the proper way to write a case description.

The time it happened (onset)
Place it happened.
Characteristics of people affected
Symptoms

Is there anything I have to add?
opal555

Post by opal555 »

What's the difference between an experimental study and a cohort study? It seems so similar.
UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: PA

Post by UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F »

opal555 wrote:What's the difference between an experimental study and a cohort study? It seems so similar.
In an experimental study, you subject people to an exposure while in a cohort study, you find people who have already been subjected to an exposure. A cohort study is often used because it isn't ethical to introduce an exposure like sex or smoking cigarettes into an experimental group.
opal555

Post by opal555 »

opal555 wrote:
jimmy-bond wrote:
Tailsfan101 wrote: The National DD tests tend to be quite long (~20 pages), so my advice is to split up the test, if that isn't already your strategy. They also tend to have one or two outbreak scenarios.
thank you
BTW, are there things like identifying parts of, say, a line listing, or what type of data or table it is?
roykim
State: GA

Post by roykim »

I know that the rules for the next season aren't out but at least for this season, were their any instances where competitors had to apply Kaplan-Meier analysis to given data?
Chattahoochee High School
Codebusters
Dynamic Planet
Fossils
Geologic Mapping
Machines
Roykim's Userpage
UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: PA

Post by UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F »

roykim wrote:I know that the rules for the next season aren't out but at least for this season, were their any instances where competitors had to apply Kaplan-Meier analysis to given data?
I sincerely doubt it, but I guess I'll let other people respond.
Froggie
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: CA

Post by Froggie »

roykim wrote:I know that the rules for the next season aren't out but at least for this season, were their any instances where competitors had to apply Kaplan-Meier analysis to given data?
I did disease for two years and I don't know what that is.
"A lot of people have quotes in their signature. Maybe I should have a quote in my signature. "
- Froggie

Return to “2019 Study Events”