Anomaly
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: C
State: PA
Pronouns: She/Her/Hers

Re: Disease Detectives B/C

Post by Anomaly »

Blubmeowfishycat wrote:I was just wondering, this year's topic IS food borne illnesses, right? If it isn't, then what is it?
If you had looked at the rules this year, you would know that they have changed the event up so that it doesn't have a topic anymore. If there still had been a topic, however, it would have been Environmental Quality.
Orefield MS SO 2015-2018, Parkland HS SO 2019-2020
Medal/Ribbon Count
Invitational: 25
Regional: 16
State: 7
y o i n k s
Events: Anatomy and Physiology, Codebusters, Designer Genes, Protein Modeling
don't look at this its fake news now
UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F »

Anomaly wrote:
Blubmeowfishycat wrote:I was just wondering, this year's topic IS food borne illnesses, right? If it isn't, then what is it?
If you had looked at the rules this year, you would know that they have changed the event up so that it doesn't have a topic anymore. If there still had been a topic, however, it would have been Environmental Quality.
Honestly, the topic was never prominently featured in the rules in the first place.
Blubmeowfishycat
State: NC
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by Blubmeowfishycat »

UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F wrote:
Anomaly wrote:
Honestly, the topic was never prominently featured in the rules in the first place.

Ok, thanks for your help! sorry for being so clueless, this is my first year trying this event and I was told that there were different topics.
again, thanks!!!
WhatScience?
State: NJ

Post by WhatScience? »

So I've never been the rest at interpreting the event rules. Can someone explain to me what has really changed. Like what statistics do we still need to know? What has been added that's new. What's replacing all those diseases?
UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

WhatScience? wrote:So I've never been the rest at interpreting the event rules. Can someone explain to me what has really changed. Like what statistics do we still need to know? What has been added that's new. What's replacing all those diseases?
Nothing much has really changed. It's just more explicit focus on the actual investigation of an outbreak, prevention, surveillance, etc. Also, there's no topic this year. The rules for this year are just less vague than they were before (although I don't see types of agents on the new rules? I think they'll still be tested though, since that's pretty basic stuff).
WhatScience?
State: NJ

Post by WhatScience? »

WhatScience? wrote:So I've never been the rest at interpreting the event rules. Can someone explain to me what has really changed. Like what statistics do we still need to know? What has been added that's new. What's replacing all those diseases?
Nothing much has really changed. It's just more explicit focus on the actual investigation of an outbreak, prevention, surveillance, etc. Also, there's no topic this year. The rules for this year are just less vague than they were before (although I don't see types of agents on the new rules? I think they'll still be tested though, since that's pretty basic stuff).
So basically just less rote memorization of diseases than before?

If so, go you soinc!!!! Making good decisions like that.
UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

WhatScience? wrote:

No, these rules say that competitors much "Understand the Natural History and Spectrum of Disease", which might include all of that stuff. How much depth you have to go in would depend on the ES. (Also, listing out a bunch of diseases wasn't a huge part of the event in the first place, at least by the tests I took.) It's worth noting that knowing symptoms and causes of specific diseases wasn't in the original rules either as far as I can see, but it's understandable that ESes would want to test on it.
Birdmusic
State: CA

Post by Birdmusic »

WhatScience? wrote:

My reading of the two boring epidemiology textbooks wasn’t for naught after all :D

I really hope this change means ESs will stop confusing this with microbe mission XP
I like birds.
Anomaly
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by Anomaly »

Birdmusic wrote:
My reading of the two boring epidemiology textbooks wasn’t for naught after all :D

I really hope this change means ESs will stop confusing this with microbe mission XP
Oh my god don't get started with that. Proctors must be thinking "hm, the event has the word "disease" in it, so why don't we just make most of the test about the diseases?"
Orefield MS SO 2015-2018, Parkland HS SO 2019-2020
Medal/Ribbon Count
Invitational: 25
Regional: 16
State: 7
y o i n k s
Events: Anatomy and Physiology, Codebusters, Designer Genes, Protein Modeling
don't look at this its fake news now
Birdmusic
State: CA

Post by Birdmusic »

Anomaly wrote:
Birdmusic wrote:

Oh my god don't get started with that. Proctors must be thinking "hm, the event has the word "disease" in it, so why don't we just make most of the test about the diseases?"
We got pictures of microbes and were asked to identify it. I know this isn’t technically against the rules, but I couldn’t help but go “wait did we walk into microbe?”

Also, the steps to investigating an outbreak in the scioly wiki is different from the one on the cdc website, which one should be used?
I like birds.

Return to “2019 Study Events”