Herpetology B/C

emmalasagna
Division: C
State: CT
Has thanked: 0

Re: Herpetology B/C

Post by emmalasagna »

dish123 wrote:Hi everybody,

Our team is going on to state from regional, so I have decided to improve my notes.
Besides class/order/suborder
there are 80 fact sheets for NC.

I have many questions for the formatting of fact sheets:

1.What should we include in the family fact sheets that dont include genuses on the official list?
2.What should we include in the family fact sheets that do?
3.What should we include in the genuses?
4,Do we have to know the species of each genus thats on the list?
5.Do we even have to make genus fact sheets?
6.Which should have more information, genus or family?

Thanks!
Hi! Congrats on getting to states, first of all. Second of all...

1.For these, it can be tricky to find info since families tend to be pretty broad. Just include whatever info you can find. It might not be as detailed as more specific taxons like genuses, but any info that defines the family, like anatomical characteristics or distribution should be included. If this still doesn't seem to be enough, you can look into the type genus of the family, which is the genus that sort of defines the family, I guess. For example, for family Lacertidae, looking into the type genus, Lacerta, could be helpful.

2. For Families that do specify genuses, like Family Phrynosomatidae, I don't usually put down too much into the family notesheets. Just some broad defining characteristics. I make the included genuses much more specific, because those are more important.

3. For genus notesheets, basically anything important should go into the notes. I suggest using a format for all notes, if you don't already. You can split this up into categories, like taxonomy, anatomy, diet, distribution, etc., and try to fill these in based on what you find. Overall, I'd say its really important to include anything specific to that genus, since that is likely what the test will be asking. For example, you don't need to include the anatomy of every salamander genus if they're roughly the same, but any differences should be noted, if that makes sense.

4. Technically, no. The rules don't require you to identify past what is written on the list, which is genus at most specific. However, I do reccomend writing down some of the most important species of each genus in your notes, just in case the test writers accidentally put something like that on the test, which they do sometimes.

5. You should make sheets for anything that's on the list. If its a genus, make a genus sheet, if its a family, make a family sheet. You want to be prepared for anything the writers throw at you, so you don'y want to miss anything on the list!

6.I'd say genuses. It's probably easier to find info on them anyway, because their less broad than families.

I hope this helped! Good luck at states!
bedford ms '19, staples hs '23
ornithology, fossils, designer genes, expd

please bring back herp like actually please
krasabnk
Division: Grad
State: NC
Been thanked: 0

Post by krasabnk »

Our team is going on to state from regional, so I have decided to improve my notes.

1.What should we include in the family fact sheets that dont include genuses on the official list?

Thanks!
I assume you are from NC, and if so, I hope you do well in states!
1. I would attempt to include information about common genera in your state in regards to family fact sheets, but the tests aren't likely to question specific genera unless it is listed on the national list. I would make sure you cover information on habitat, anatomy/physiology of herps, diets, reproduction processes, interesting facts, etc.

2/3. (2 and 3 appear to be the same question) Like before, include habitat, diets, reproduction, interesting facts, but try to include more details. I suggest using the Animal Diversity Web (ADW) to help you with gathering information on common species in a specific genus listed on the national list. Remember, the state will use a shortened version of the national list, so make sure you have the correct list.

4. I would say you should practice the most common species. I am pretty sure the state test will not quiz you to the specimen level, but just in case, search for species that are most prevalent in your state. For example, let's say you have the genus Anaxyrus. A well-known specimen of this genus would be the American toad, or Anaxyrus americanus. Then you could gather information about that specific specimen if you wanted to.

5. I would.

6. Genus is more detailed than family as it is focused on a specific group in a family. If the genus is listed on the national list, you should include information about both its family and the genus.

Hope this helps and good luck!
DaVinci's Dragons 2019, NCSU '23
[b]2019: [/b]
regionals/states
 <3 Herpetology: 1/3
 :evil: Circuit Lab 5/15
 :?: Experimental Design -/19

[b]2018: [/b]
regionals/ states
<3 Herpetology: 1/4
 :?: Disease Detectives: 4/19
dish123

Post by dish123 »

krasabnk wrote:

Thanks!
I assume you are from NC, and if so, I hope you do well in states!
1. I would attempt to include information about common genera in your state in regards to family fact sheets, but the tests aren't likely to question specific genera unless it is listed on the national list. I would make sure you cover information on habitat, anatomy/physiology of herps, diets, reproduction processes, interesting facts, etc.

2/3. (2 and 3 appear to be the same question) Like before, include habitat, diets, reproduction, interesting facts, but try to include more details. I suggest using the Animal Diversity Web (ADW) to help you with gathering information on common species in a specific genus listed on the national list. Remember, the state will use a shortened version of the national list, so make sure you have the correct list.

4. I would say you should practice the most common species. I am pretty sure the state test will not quiz you to the specimen level, but just in case, search for species that are most prevalent in your state. For example, let's say you have the genus Anaxyrus. A well-known specimen of this genus would be the American toad, or Anaxyrus americanus. Then you could gather information about that specific specimen if you wanted to.

5. I would.

6. Genus is more detailed than family as it is focused on a specific group in a family. If the genus is listed on the national list, you should include information about both its family and the genus.

Hope this helps and good luck!
Thank you so much, this really helped...one thing though, I feel like I should know this already, howerever, it can get confusing, what is "genera"?
dish123

Post by dish123 »

emmalasagna wrote:

Thanks!
Hi! Congrats on getting to states, first of all. Second of all...

1.For these, it can be tricky to find info since families tend to be pretty broad. Just include whatever info you can find. It might not be as detailed as more specific taxons like genuses, but any info that defines the family, like anatomical characteristics or distribution should be included. If this still doesn't seem to be enough, you can look into the type genus of the family, which is the genus that sort of defines the family, I guess. For example, for family Lacertidae, looking into the type genus, Lacerta, could be helpful.

2. For Families that do specify genuses, like Family Phrynosomatidae, I don't usually put down too much into the family notesheets. Just some broad defining characteristics. I make the included genuses much more specific, because those are more important.

3. For genus notesheets, basically anything important should go into the notes. I suggest using a format for all notes, if you don't already. You can split this up into categories, like taxonomy, anatomy, diet, distribution, etc., and try to fill these in based on what you find. Overall, I'd say its really important to include anything specific to that genus, since that is likely what the test will be asking. For example, you don't need to include the anatomy of every salamander genus if they're roughly the same, but any differences should be noted, if that makes sense.

4. Technically, no. The rules don't require you to identify past what is written on the list, which is genus at most specific. However, I do reccomend writing down some of the most important species of each genus in your notes, just in case the test writers accidentally put something like that on the test, which they do sometimes.

5. You should make sheets for anything that's on the list. If its a genus, make a genus sheet, if its a family, make a family sheet. You want to be prepared for anything the writers throw at you, so you don'y want to miss anything on the list!

6.I'd say genuses. It's probably easier to find info on them anyway, because their less broad than families.

I hope this helped! Good luck at states!
Thank you, this helps a lot, I got some reassurance, because I thought I wasn't looking hard enough for families, but now I know that genuses need to be more detailed, not family.
krasabnk

Post by krasabnk »

dish123 wrote:Thank you so much, this really helped...one thing though, I feel like I should know this already, howerever, it can get confusing, what is "genera"?
Haha, no problem! Genera is the plural form of a genus, hope that helps! :) Are you Div B or Div C?
regionals/states

regionals/ states
dish123

Post by dish123 »

krasabnk wrote:
dish123 wrote:Thank you so much, this really helped...one thing though, I feel like I should know this already, howerever, it can get confusing, what is "genera"?
Haha, no problem! Genera is the plural form of a genus, hope that helps! :) Are you Div B or Div C?
Thanks! I'm Div B
Last edited by dish123 on April 14th, 2019, 11:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
dish123

Post by dish123 »

On ADW, sometimes they give information onmore than one species for the genus, which species information should I use for the fact sheet?
For example, for Sceloporus, there is information on both Sceloporus Undulatus, and Sceloporus Woodi...which one should I make my fact sheet on?
krasabnk

Post by krasabnk »

dish123 wrote:On ADW, sometimes they give information onmore than one species for the genus, which species information should I use for the fact sheet?
For example, for Sceloporus, there is information on both Sceloporus Undulatus, and Sceloporus Woodi...which one should I make my fact sheet on?
Try to find the main similarities between them. Anything from reproduction to behavior works. Look for common markings or anatomy that discern that certain genus from other genera of the Phrynosomatids. Because I live in North Carolina, I use information from several different websites about the genera and families that live near me. For example, I would use ADW, SREL Herp, Herps of NC, Herps of VA, and several other websites to gather information for say... a green anole (Anolis carolinensis) - just so I can obtain the most accurate information. A certain specimen in a specific genus are going to share similar features from the other species in that genus, which all share similar features in a specific family.
regionals/states

regionals/ states
dish123

Post by dish123 »

krasabnk wrote:
dish123 wrote:On ADW, sometimes they give information onmore than one species for the genus, which species information should I use for the fact sheet?
Try to find the main similarities between them. Anything from reproduction to behavior works. Look for common markings or anatomy that discern that certain genus from other genera of the Phrynosomatids. Because I live in North Carolina, I use information from several different websites about the genera and families that live near me. For example, I would use ADW, SREL Herp, Herps of NC, Herps of VA, and several other websites to gather information for say... a green anole (Anolis carolinensis) - just so I can obtain the most accurate information. A certain specimen in a specific genus are going to share similar features from the other species in that genus, which all share similar features in a specific family.
Thanks, I have been mainly using ADW, do you recommend I go back to all the fact sheets and all the other websites?
krasabnk

Post by krasabnk »

dish123 wrote:Thanks, I have been mainly using ADW, do you recommend I go back to all the fact sheets and all the other websites?
That is completely up to you. :)
regionals/states

regionals/ states

Return to “2019 Study Events”