Herpetology B/C

pikachu4919
Division: Grad
State: IN
Pronouns: She/Her/Hers

Herpetology B/C

Post by pikachu4919 »

Herpetology B/C: Participants will be assessed on their knowledge of amphibians and reptiles.

Herpetology Wiki

Herpetology Test Exchange 2018

Past Threads: 2009, 2018

Past Question Marathons: 2018
Carmel HS (IN) '16
Purdue BioE '21? reevaluating my life choices
Nationals 2016 ~ 4th place Forensics

"It is important to draw wisdom from different places. If you take it from only one place, it becomes rigid and stale." -Uncle Iroh

About me || Rate my tests!
Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.

MY CABBAGES!
SnakesRCute
Division: C
State: TX
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Herpetology B/C

Post by SnakesRCute »

I was wondering about the new 2 inch or less binder rule. Is the measurement defined as the width of the spine or the diameter of the rings? Because I always thought it was width of the spine but apparently its actually the diameter of the rings.
Beckendorff JH '16-'19
Seven Lakes HS '19-current
nicholasmaurer
Coach
Coach
State: OH

Post by nicholasmaurer »

SnakesRCute wrote:I was wondering about the new 2 inch or less binder rule. Is the measurement defined as the width of the spine or the diameter of the rings? Because I always thought it was width of the spine but apparently its actually the diameter of the rings.
Based upon the wording, I would assume that binders sold at OfficeMax, Amazon, etc. as "2 inch binders" would be appropriate.

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.
Assistant Coach and Alumnus ('14) - Solon High School Science Olympiad
Tournament Director - Northeast Ohio Regional Tournament
Tournament Director - Solon High School Science Olympiad Invitational

dvegadvol

Post by dvegadvol »

I think reducing binder size is a good thing. Last year, there were many 6 inch binders at competition!

How are you setting up your binder given this change?
UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: PA

Post by UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F »

dvegadvol wrote:I think reducing binder size is a good thing. Last year, there were many 6 inch binders at competition!

Our binder looks the same haha. I don't know how people manage big binders. They're ridiculous to maneuver to me.
Things2do
State: TN
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by Things2do »

UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F wrote:
dvegadvol wrote:I think reducing binder size is a good thing. Last year, there were many 6 inch binders at competition!

Our binder looks the same haha. I don't know how people manage big binders. They're ridiculous to maneuver to me.
It just takes practice. We had 5 inches of stuff in a 6 inch binder for Crave The Wave, and we could find almost anything in it in about 10 seconds. We had to have the extra room to maneuver the papers, and it was a bit bulky, but it came in handy. It also requires the right kinda rings, or it won't allow the pages to move.
John 5:46-47
Eagle Scout
Colorado School of Mines

"[A] new project car is always a good idea. [Y]ou always need a new project car[.]" - jaspattack

Let's go, Brandon!
See Wiki
UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: PA

Post by UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F »

Things2do wrote:

It just takes practice. We had 5 inches of stuff in a 6 inch binder for Crave The Wave, and we could find almost anything in it in about 10 seconds. We had to have the extra room to maneuver the papers, and it was a bit bulky, but it came in handy. It also requires the right kinda rings, or it won't allow the pages to move.
Well now I'm curious what you had in 5 inches of paper for Crave the Wave...
Things2do
State: TN

Post by Things2do »

Things2do wrote:
UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F wrote: Our binder looks the same haha. I don't know how people manage big binders. They're ridiculous to maneuver to me.
Well now I'm curious what you had in 5 inches of paper for Crave the Wave...
A LOT... I would give specifics, but it disappeared two years ago, and I only have the inch I had copied. It was color scans of textbook pages and the rules and enough other stuff to teach a year's high school physics... And, it all pertained in some way or another...
John 5:46-47
Eagle Scout
Colorado School of Mines

"[A] new project car is always a good idea. [Y]ou always need a new project car[.]" - jaspattack

Let's go, Brandon!
See Wiki
M017
Division: B
State: NE

Post by M017 »

I managed only a 1 1/2 inch binder last year and I didn’t even fill it all the way, that’s crazy how some people had 6 inch binders :shock:
Benewcomb
State: IN

Post by Benewcomb »

Yeah we had a either 1or 2 inch I don’t remember. It doesn’t make much of a difference 6 inch or 2 inch, unless you have too much info. Then you resort to tiny font and page by page color coding.
love you <3

Return to “2019 Study Events”