waffletree
Division: C
State: PA
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Herpetology B/C

Post by waffletree »

kate! wrote:
waffletree wrote:hi, im kinda new to herp, and im trying to do research on the torrent salamanders, and wondered what species i should be referring to; Olympic or Southern?
Since we aren't required to identify down to the species, I suggest you include information on both because they make up the family, which is what you do need to identify.
got it, thanks!
builder cult vp // #treegang
dvegadvol

Post by dvegadvol »

Except you'll often be shown a picture of a specific species and asked to identify the Family or Genera. If you don't know the species in a Family, you're at a significant disadvantage...
UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: PA

Post by UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F »

dvegadvol wrote:Except you'll often be shown a picture of a specific species and asked to identify the Family or Genera. If you don't know the species in a Family, you're at a significant disadvantage...
Small correction: every specimen is in a specific species
ezrobertson

Post by ezrobertson »

heihei wrote:Hey! So I'm new to this whole forum thing, but I just wanted to say that the materials you can bring for Herpetology changed from last year. I didn't realize it until I read the materials list, so for anyone who also hasn't read through the paper yet, you can't bring a book anymore like last year. All information has to be in a three ring binder that can be up to two inches thick.
so we cant bring those fat books with pictures?
:evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :!: :!:
kate!
State: NY

Post by kate! »

ezrobertson wrote:
heihei wrote:Hey! So I'm new to this whole forum thing, but I just wanted to say that the materials you can bring for Herpetology changed from last year. I didn't realize it until I read the materials list, so for anyone who also hasn't read through the paper yet, you can't bring a book anymore like last year. All information has to be in a three ring binder that can be up to two inches thick.
Theoretically you could photocopy pages and put them in your binder, or just rip pages out. It would be more efficient to just make a binder, though.
8th grade: I knew stuff about rocks, minerals, experiments, and ecosystems!
9th grade: I knew stuff about amphibians, reptiles, freshwater, and experiments!
10th grade: I knew stuff about oceanography, saltwater, birds, and fossils!
11th grade: I knew stuff about birds and fossils!
Almandine2

Post by Almandine2 »

In my experience, the people who failed the most and worst were the ones who didn't make a binder. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Herpetology, ALWAYS HERPETOLOGY
dvegadvol

Post by dvegadvol »

Agreed. Without a binder you can't be competitive. The information in any of the guides vary greatly in depth of information from genus to genus...
emmalasagna
State: CT

Post by emmalasagna »

kate! wrote:
ezrobertson wrote:
Theoretically you could photocopy pages and put them in your binder, or just rip pages out. It would be more efficient to just make a binder, though.
This is what my partner and I did for Rustin last year when we didn't have a binder at all...we got 43rd I think? I agree, binders are more efficient.
bedford ms '19, staples hs '23
ornithology, fossils, designer genes, expd

please bring back herp like actually please
OctoPiGenius
Division: B
State: OH

Post by OctoPiGenius »

emmalasagna wrote:
kate! wrote:
ezrobertson wrote: so we cant bring those fat books with pictures?
This is what my partner and I did for Rustin last year when we didn't have a binder at all...we got 43rd I think? I agree, binders are more efficient.
Yep! It's also easier to organize binders the way you want & it's easier to write in them.
In Astronomy, Ornithology, ExpD, Forensics.

2019 NATS:
1st in ExpD, 1st in Herp, 3rd in Solar System

2018 NATS:
5th in Fast Facts, 2nd in Herp, 1st in Solar System

2017 NATS:
1st in Invasive, 2nd in RFTS

2016 NATS:
1st in Crime

2018 Captain of Solon Division B team
cbrant554
State: IN

Post by cbrant554 »

Is the scientific name of a rosy boa Lichanura trivirgata or Charina trivirgata because on the list it says that the genus is charina and so it would be the first part of its scientific name but anywhere I look it says that it is Lichanura is this just another name for the genus or what? The same thing for lined snakes I get a whole different genus for them so what should I do?

Return to “2019 Study Events”