Water Quality B/C

Chiweenie
Division: C
State: NY
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Water Quality B/C

Post by Chiweenie »

Do any of you guys know which answer I should go with?

10. This weak acid (from the previous question) results in “average” rain having a pH
of approximately ___________ at typical atmospheric conditions.
a. 6.3
b. 7.0
c. 5.6
d. 8.1

In the 2012 Nationals test, the answer is a. In the 2013 Nationals test, the answer is c.
coopsadoodles
State: CT

Post by coopsadoodles »

Chiweenie wrote:Do any of you guys know which answer I should go with?

10. This weak acid (from the previous question) results in “average” rain having a pH
of approximately ___________ at typical atmospheric conditions.
a. 6.3
b. 7.0
c. 5.6
d. 8.1

In the 2012 Nationals test, the answer is a. In the 2013 Nationals test, the answer is c.
Personally i'd go with c as it is more recent and things may have changed. if you want a more accurate answer do some research
bedford ms '20, staples hs '24
chem lab, green gen, enviro chem, widi
Girlpower05
State: MI

Post by Girlpower05 »

bp31000 wrote: you can make one with a paint dropper (from a craft store like hobby lobby) instead of an eye dropper and add stability to it by adding poster tack like a cone at the bottom. add weight by adding sugar or very fine sand inside. bigger the bulb and smaller the narrow part above will give you enough spacing. the one we used gave us accurate readings every time.
Thank you for sharing your idea for a salinometer. I tried it out and it was really successful with markings spread out over an inch. We were able to place second in this event in our very competitive States.
bp31000
State: TN

Post by bp31000 »

Girlpower05 wrote:
bp31000 wrote: you can make one with a paint dropper (from a craft store like hobby lobby) instead of an eye dropper and add stability to it by adding poster tack like a cone at the bottom. add weight by adding sugar or very fine sand inside. bigger the bulb and smaller the narrow part above will give you enough spacing. the one we used gave us accurate readings every time.
Thank you for sharing your idea for a salinometer. I tried it out and it was really successful with markings spread out over an inch. We were able to place second in this event in our very competitive States.
glad i could be of help! congratulations on your placement!
State & Regional 2019 events B
<3 Solar system, Water Quality, Anatomy and Physiology- 1st State & Regional <3
:roll: Heredity 4th state, 2nd regional :roll:
JionPark

Post by JionPark »

In the 2019 rules, there was a section that was for Division C. The content was called life history strategies, and it was only going to be on States and Nationals. How would you be able to prepare for it?
kate!

Post by kate! »

JionPark wrote:In the 2019 rules, there was a section that was for Division C. The content was called life history strategies, and it was only going to be on States and Nationals. How would you be able to prepare for it?
What is mentioned in the rules as examples of life history strategies are age structure, survival curves, life tables, succession, and R and K strategies. Basically, they're just asking you to have more in-depth ecology knowledge than a division B competitor would need. If you did Ecology last year, that would help, but if you didn't, then just search up those concepts and add relevant definitions to your notesheet. I don't think they'll ask questions that are simply about ecological principles, but they will probably apply these principles to freshwater ecology, so it's important to familiarize yourself with them.
8th grade: I knew stuff about rocks, minerals, experiments, and ecosystems!
9th grade: I knew stuff about amphibians, reptiles, freshwater, and experiments!
10th grade: I knew stuff about oceanography, saltwater, birds, and fossils!
11th grade: I knew stuff about birds and fossils!
Chiweenie

Post by Chiweenie »

Do we have to know the q value charts or will they give them to us?
gz839918
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
Division: Grad
State: WI
Pronouns: Ask My Pronouns

Post by gz839918 »

Chiweenie wrote:Do we have to know the q value charts or will they give them to us?
If there are any questions about Q-values, the test will almost certainly include conversion charts, since it's much too difficult to memorize every last one of them or to pack all of them into a single notes sheet.

Even if the ES expects competitors to have these memorized, I'd imagine that everybody would miss the Q-value questions, so you and your partner wouldn't be negatively affected any more than any other team. If everybody missed the Q-value questions, it would be as though the questions didn't exist, so I would suggest not worrying about it. ;)
I ❤ sounds of music! About meRate my tests

Carmel High School ’19
The University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill ’23
“People overestimate what they can do in a day, and underestimate what they can do in a lifetime.” –Unknown
hmmm
State: NJ

Post by hmmm »

What did you guys get for the salinity at nats?
I guessed 2.9
Community 2017-2019
WWP North 2019-2023
Wiki Userpage
Fridaychimp
State: TX

Post by Fridaychimp »

hmmm wrote:What did you guys get for the salinity at nats?
I guessed 2.9
For Div. C I think the values were about 2.2% and 5.0% for beaker A and B, respectively.
Seven Lakes Junior High '17, Seven Lakes High School '21

Return to “2019 Study Events”