Water Quality B/C

wearymagpie
Division: C
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Water Quality B/C

Post by wearymagpie »

has anyone here made a salinometer that is accurate and consistent, and what type (straw and clay, electronic, etc) is it? I've made multiple salinometers with different thicknesses of straws, different amounts of clay and the eyedropper salinometer but none of them have been very good- the spacings are really tiny and the straw will sometimes even sit at whichever marking I set the device into the water at : (
2019-20 events: ornithology, codebusters, water quality, fossils
bp31000
State: TN

Post by bp31000 »

wearymagpie wrote:has anyone here made a salinometer that is accurate and consistent, and what type (straw and clay, electronic, etc) is it? I've made multiple salinometers with different thicknesses of straws, different amounts of clay and the eyedropper salinometer but none of them have been very good- the spacings are really tiny and the straw will sometimes even sit at whichever marking I set the device into the water at : (
you can make one with a paint dropper (from a craft store like hobby lobby) instead of an eye dropper and add stability to it by adding poster tack like a cone at the bottom. add weight by adding sugar or very fine sand inside. bigger the bulb and smaller the narrow part above will give you enough spacing. the one we used gave us accurate readings every time.
State & Regional 2019 events B
<3 Solar system, Water Quality, Anatomy and Physiology- 1st State & Regional <3
:roll: Heredity 4th state, 2nd regional :roll:
wearymagpie

Post by wearymagpie »

bp31000 wrote:
wearymagpie wrote:has anyone here made a salinometer that is accurate and consistent, and what type (straw and clay, electronic, etc) is it? I've made multiple salinometers with different thicknesses of straws, different amounts of clay and the eyedropper salinometer but none of them have been very good- the spacings are really tiny and the straw will sometimes even sit at whichever marking I set the device into the water at : (
you can make one with a paint dropper (from a craft store like hobby lobby) instead of an eye dropper and add stability to it by adding poster tack like a cone at the bottom. add weight by adding sugar or very fine sand inside. bigger the bulb and smaller the narrow part above will give you enough spacing. the one we used gave us accurate readings every time.
ooh I'll try that out, thanks!
2019-20 events: ornithology, codebusters, water quality, fossils
bp31000
State: TN

Post by bp31000 »

We have made a really good (atleast we think so) powerpoint for b div macro invertebrate identification, if anyone is still looking for study material. Disclaimer: we do not have copyright to any of the images, all credits go to the original copyright owners of the images.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1uKTbbz ... sp=sharing
State & Regional 2019 events B
<3 Solar system, Water Quality, Anatomy and Physiology- 1st State & Regional <3
:roll: Heredity 4th state, 2nd regional :roll:
JionPark

Post by JionPark »

bp31000 wrote:We have made a really good (atleast we think so) powerpoint for b div macro invertebrate identification, if anyone is still looking for study material. Disclaimer: we do not have copyright to any of the images, all credits go to the original copyright owners of the images.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1uKTbbz ... sp=sharing
Thank you!
Chiweenie
State: NY

Post by Chiweenie »

Do we need to know about the specific facts+lifestyles about the macro invertebrates for Div. B at nationals? I know it is only for division C but I've seen some div. b tests that ask random stuff about macro inv. and nationals should have harder tests, right? Sorry, I don't know anything about national vs. invitational tests.
kate!

Post by kate! »

Chiweenie wrote:Do we need to know about the specific facts+lifestyles about the macro invertebrates for Div. B at nationals? I know it is only for division C but I've seen some div. b tests that ask random stuff about macro inv. and nationals should have harder tests, right? Sorry, I don't know anything about national vs. invitational tests.
I'd say you should have a little bit of information but not as much as someone in div C would need. The proctor for nationals will most likely be experienced and will know the rules, so I doubt you will get asked the same ID questions as someone in div C. What's more important is knowing the effects each organism has on its ecosystem.
8th grade: I knew stuff about rocks, minerals, experiments, and ecosystems!
9th grade: I knew stuff about amphibians, reptiles, freshwater, and experiments!
10th grade: I knew stuff about oceanography, saltwater, birds, and fossils!
11th grade: I knew stuff about birds and fossils!
Chiweenie

Post by Chiweenie »

So that would be the classes, right? So then don't have to know the specific details of each macro then except maybe impacts of different invasive species.
kate!

Post by kate! »

Chiweenie wrote:So that would be the classes, right? So then don't have to know the specific details of each macro then except maybe impacts of different invasive species.
Yeah, just know classes and importance as indicator species (and also you should know the steps of an incomplete and complete life cycle just in case, and know why midge fly bloodworms are red).
8th grade: I knew stuff about rocks, minerals, experiments, and ecosystems!
9th grade: I knew stuff about amphibians, reptiles, freshwater, and experiments!
10th grade: I knew stuff about oceanography, saltwater, birds, and fossils!
11th grade: I knew stuff about birds and fossils!
Chiweenie

Post by Chiweenie »

Thanks! Btw, what is the smallest font that you can still read when printed out?

Return to “2019 Study Events”