Astronomy C

PM2017
Division: Grad
State: CA

Re: Astronomy C

Post by PM2017 »

syo_astro wrote: As for images, yes, all the images (they're pretty too!). Hope this helps, please keep questions coming if that was confusing!
Just adding to this, you should also label each image (we include Telescope, Wavelength, Date if important, and for the non-obvious images, we include a description. By non-obvious I mean like the supernovae inside a DSO.)
West High '19
UC Berkeley '23

Go Bears!
GarethM
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by GarethM »

What reference value should be used for apparent/absolute visual magnitude? I can find luminosities for all wavelengths, but not just visible wavelengths.
Unome
State: GA

Post by Unome »

GarethM wrote:What reference value should be used for apparent/absolute visual magnitude? I can find luminosities for all wavelengths, but not just visible wavelengths.
Your question is a little unclear. What sort of reference values are you looking for?
Userpage

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.
GarethM

Post by GarethM »

I’ve seen questions that ask to convert absolute visual magnitude to visible luminosity measured in watts. I understand that a decrease in 5 magnitudes is a 100x increase in brightness, but I don’t understand what that increase is measured from, i.e. what value is defined as 0 on the magnitude scale. I was thinking I could measure relative to a star with a known absolute magnitude and visible luminosity, but I can’t find information on the visible luminosity of any stars. I’ve found info on bolometric magnitudes for all wavelengths, but nothing for just visible.

I’m basically wondering how to calculate visible luminosity in watts when given absolute visible magnitude.
Unome
State: GA

Post by Unome »

GarethM wrote:I’ve seen questions that ask to convert absolute visual magnitude to visible luminosity measured in watts. I understand that a decrease in 5 magnitudes is a 100x increase in brightness, but I don’t understand what that increase is measured from, i.e. what value is defined as 0 on the magnitude scale. I was thinking I could measure relative to a star with a known absolute magnitude and visible luminosity, but I can’t find information on the visible luminosity of any stars. I’ve found info on bolometric magnitudes for all wavelengths, but nothing for just visible.

I’m basically wondering how to calculate visible luminosity in watts when given absolute visible magnitude.
My typical method is to take the Sun's absolute magnitude of around 4.85 and use its known luminosity in watts to convert.
Userpage

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.
PM2017
State: CA

Post by PM2017 »

Unome wrote:
GarethM wrote:I’ve seen questions that ask to convert absolute visual magnitude to visible luminosity measured in watts. I understand that a decrease in 5 magnitudes is a 100x increase in brightness, but I don’t understand what that increase is measured from, i.e. what value is defined as 0 on the magnitude scale. I was thinking I could measure relative to a star with a known absolute magnitude and visible luminosity, but I can’t find information on the visible luminosity of any stars. I’ve found info on bolometric magnitudes for all wavelengths, but nothing for just visible.

My typical method is to take the Sun's absolute magnitude of around 4.85 and use its known luminosity in watts to convert.
I do this as well.
West High '19
UC Berkeley '23

Go Bears!
jz123sst

Post by jz123sst »

Does anyone know if Astronomy will still be an event 2019-2020 (next year)? If so, what topics will it cover?
pb5754
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: C
State: NJ
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by pb5754 »

jz123sst wrote:Does anyone know if Astronomy will still be an event 2019-2020 (next year)? If so, what topics will it cover?
It definitely will be an event next year, and I'm not sure but I think the topic will be variable stars or star/planet formation.
West Windsor-Plainsboro High School South '21
2021 Nationals: Astronomy - 1st, Geologic Mapping - 1st, Team - 6th
jz123sst

Post by jz123sst »

So stellar evolution is a topic every year?
pb5754
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: C
State: NJ
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by pb5754 »

jz123sst wrote:So stellar evolution is a topic every year?
Yes... like there is a 99.9% chance I would say.
West Windsor-Plainsboro High School South '21
2021 Nationals: Astronomy - 1st, Geologic Mapping - 1st, Team - 6th

Return to “2019 Study Events”