Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: Grad
State: MA
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Astronomy C

Post by antoine_ego »

Chandra's webinars have been posted on its website, here. This year, they included a Stellar Evolution 101, using last year's DSOs as examples. It's definitely a pretty good resource, especially for beginners.
Rest in Peace Len Joeris
[b]2016 Air Trajectory Nationals - 3rd
2018 Hovercraft Nationals - 6th
2018 Mousetrap Nationals - 6th
2018 Nationals - Team 9th Place!
2019 Astronomy Nationals - 3rd!
2019 Nationals - Team 9th Place!
[/b]
Acton-Boxborough Regional High School Captain 17-19
Unome
State: GA

Post by Unome »

I can get so many questions out of 47 Tucanae... :)
Userpage

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.
PM2017
State: CA

Post by PM2017 »

This year looks like its going to be the best of my four years of doing Astronomy, in terms of experience, and content. Good luck to everyone!
West High '19
UC Berkeley '23

Go Bears!
chaoticevil42
Division: C
State: IN

Post by chaoticevil42 »

Hey guys, I've been working on the DSO list this year and I've got a clarification question. DSO vi. on the list is SN2014, but there are 136 CBAT supernovae using that designation. I think the rules intend SN2014J, which was the brightest supernova of the year, but it doesn't specify.

If any of y'all know anything I'd appreciate it a ton
Bloomington North Class of 2019

Regionals Events:
2019: Astronomy, Thermodynamics, Fossils
2018: Astronomy (4th), Mousetrap Vehicle (8th), Rocks and Minerals (2nd)
2017: Towers (2nd), Electric Vehicle (1st), Helicopters (8th)
2016: Robot Arm, Electric Vehicle, Elevated Bridge
Adi1008
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by Adi1008 »

chaoticevil42 wrote:Hey guys, I've been working on the DSO list this year and I've got a clarification question. DSO vi. on the list is SN2014, but there are 136 CBAT supernovae using that designation. I think the rules intend SN2014J, which was the brightest supernova of the year, but it doesn't specify.

I think it's supposed to be SN 2014J; "SN 2014" is a typo.

(usual disclaimer: this is not an official clarification)
Stanford University
University of Texas at Austin '22
Seven Lakes High School '18
Beckendorff Junior High '14
MAAAAC
State: NC

Post by MAAAAC »

Anyone found any actually useful Tully-Fisher equations (or other relationships that may be used for galactic computation)? I've been searching around for a few hours and have found a lot of relationships between variables but very few actually have 1. constants from observational correction or 2. input and output units for the variables, both of which are necessary to actually use an equation for a problem on a test. The closest that I've gotten with Tully-Fisher specifically is a set of equations relating absolute magnitude of a spiral galaxy in different bands to rotational velocity with correctional coefficients and constants, but these equations don't give the units of either variable. Though, I haven't spent as much time searching for other equations based on relationships, I have run into the same problem several times. If anyone has any input, advice, or even an equation, that would be great! Thank you!
Unome
State: GA

Post by Unome »

MAAAAC wrote:Anyone found any actually useful Tully-Fisher equations (or other relationships that may be used for galactic computation)? I've been searching around for a few hours and have found a lot of relationships between variables but very few actually have 1. constants from observational correction or 2. input and output units for the variables, both of which are necessary to actually use an equation for a problem on a test. The closest that I've gotten with Tully-Fisher specifically is a set of equations relating absolute magnitude of a spiral galaxy in different bands to rotational velocity with correctional coefficients and constants, but these equations don't give the units of either variable. Though, I haven't spent as much time searching for other equations based on relationships, I have run into the same problem several times. If anyone has any input, advice, or even an equation, that would be great! Thank you!
I thought exactly the same thing when I was writing a test earlier. I haven't found a calibrated formula so far.
Userpage

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.
PM2017

Post by PM2017 »

Unome wrote:
MAAAAC wrote:Anyone found any actually useful Tully-Fisher equations (or other relationships that may be used for galactic computation)? I've been searching around for a few hours and have found a lot of relationships between variables but very few actually have 1. constants from observational correction or 2. input and output units for the variables, both of which are necessary to actually use an equation for a problem on a test. The closest that I've gotten with Tully-Fisher specifically is a set of equations relating absolute magnitude of a spiral galaxy in different bands to rotational velocity with correctional coefficients and constants, but these equations don't give the units of either variable. Though, I haven't spent as much time searching for other equations based on relationships, I have run into the same problem several times. If anyone has any input, advice, or even an equation, that would be great! Thank you!
I thought exactly the same thing when I was writing a test earlier. I haven't found a calibrated formula so far.
I have the same issue. The closest things I've found thus far is this: http://astrosun2.astro.cornell.edu/~mas ... ces/tf.htm, but it hasn't been super useful.
I haven't had time to do it yet, but I was planning on looking into calibrating it using the milky way, to at least get a rough idea.
West High '19
UC Berkeley '23

Go Bears!
chaoticevil42
State: IN

Post by chaoticevil42 »

Adi1008 wrote:
chaoticevil42 wrote:Hey guys, I've been working on the DSO list this year and I've got a clarification question. DSO vi. on the list is SN2014, but there are 136 CBAT supernovae using that designation. I think the rules intend SN2014J, which was the brightest supernova of the year, but it doesn't specify.

I think it's supposed to be SN 2014J; "SN 2014" is a typo.

(usual disclaimer: this is not an official clarification)
I'm thinking (and hoping, since I've already done a bunch of work under that assumption) that's probably it. I'll report it when the rules clarifications open up October 1st and we'll see for sure.

Sidebar: The DSOs this year are way cooler than they were last year.
Last edited by chaoticevil42 on September 10th, 2018, 6:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Bloomington North Class of 2019

Regionals Events:
2019: Astronomy, Thermodynamics, Fossils
2018: Astronomy (4th), Mousetrap Vehicle (8th), Rocks and Minerals (2nd)
2017: Towers (2nd), Electric Vehicle (1st), Helicopters (8th)
2016: Robot Arm, Electric Vehicle, Elevated Bridge

Return to “2019 Study Events”