Astronomy C

UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: C
State: PA

Re: Astronomy C

Post by UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F »

Hello! I'm thinking of doing Astro next year, is there anything I can do to start preparing now even though we don't know the topics will be?
Unome
Division: Grad
State: GA

Post by Unome »

UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F wrote:Hello! I'm thinking of doing Astro next year, is there anything I can do to start preparing now even though we don't know the topics will be?
The 2017 and 2018 topics sort of form the baseline for other years, you could probably study that info in slightly less depth to get a good sense of the basics.
Userpage

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.
Selundar
Division: C
State: IL
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by Selundar »

UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F wrote:Hello! I'm thinking of doing Astro next year, is there anything I can do to start preparing now even though we don't know the topics will be?
A good chunk of Astronomy stays the same every year. The main parts that change are the DSOs and the sub-topic, but stellar evolution and the math portions are pretty consistent. So for stellar evolution, you should probably look into HR diagrams and spectral classes, low mass vs high mass evolution, supernovae, and stellar remnants (white dwarfs, neutron stars, and black holes). For the math, it would probably be best to look up all the terms listed in the rules to get the equations for them and you can use any test you have access to within the last several years to get practice. Hope this helps!
aeshs '21
Zxcvbnm123

Post by Zxcvbnm123 »

How do you do question 16 and 17 on the Golden Gate Invitational Test? https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... MRmlHdJc2u

Also, how do you calculate distances to Cepheid and RR Lyrae Stars?
syo_astro
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: NY

Post by syo_astro »

Zxcvbnm123 wrote:How do you do question 16 and 17 on the Golden Gate Invitational Test? https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... MRmlHdJc2u

Have you given those questions a start or have work you can share to check over? That usually makes the checking/explaining go faster.

In the mean time, I'll start things off with 16a. RR Lyrae stars have a period-luminosity relationship that indicates they have an ~constant absolute magnitude (or luminosity) across a range of periods. IF for whatever reason you know you have an RR Lyrae star, you therefore know its absolute magnitude.
You can google for the value, but keep in mind usually the numbers listed will vary. Also, there are some finer details and different types that add a bit of an error bar on the value you'll find anyway. Practically for the test, some writers have answer ranges anyway, so just pick a value and go with it (unless someone has studied this very deeply..). You can also ask the proctor / explain the range of values...I haven't really run into issues with this, but usually others ask or worry more about that, so others can feel free to chime in.
Anyway, once you get your absolute magnitude, we remember that we need distance (in pc). We are also given apparent magnitude of the star. If you have apparent magnitude and the absolute magnitude of a star, you can use the distance modulus to find the distance in pc.

Does this help?
B: Crave the Wave, Environmental Chemistry, Robo-Cross, Meteo, Phys Sci Lab, Solar System, DyPlan (E and V), Shock Value
C: Microbe Mission, DyPlan (Fresh Waters), Fermi Questions, GeoMaps, Grav Vehicle, Scrambler, Rocks, Astro
Grad: Writing Tests/Supervising (NY/MI)
Zxcvbnm123

Post by Zxcvbnm123 »

syo_astro wrote:
Zxcvbnm123 wrote:How do you do question 16 and 17 on the Golden Gate Invitational Test? https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... MRmlHdJc2u

Have you given those questions a start or have work you can share to check over? That usually makes the checking/explaining go faster.

In the mean time, I'll start things off with 16a. RR Lyrae stars have a period-luminosity relationship that indicates they have an ~constant absolute magnitude (or luminosity) across a range of periods. IF for whatever reason you know you have an RR Lyrae star, you therefore know its absolute magnitude.
You can google for the value, but keep in mind usually the numbers listed will vary. Also, there are some finer details and different types that add a bit of an error bar on the value you'll find anyway. Practically for the test, some writers have answer ranges anyway, so just pick a value and go with it (unless someone has studied this very deeply..). You can also ask the proctor / explain the range of values...I haven't really run into issues with this, but usually others ask or worry more about that, so others can feel free to chime in.
Anyway, once you get your absolute magnitude, we remember that we need distance (in pc). We are also given apparent magnitude of the star. If you have apparent magnitude and the absolute magnitude of a star, you can use the distance modulus to find the distance in pc.

Does this help?
I tried doing that, but the answer I am getting (around 70,000) is no where near close to the actual answer.
Unome
State: GA

Post by Unome »

Zxcvbnm123 wrote:
syo_astro wrote:

Does this help?
I tried doing that, but the answer I am getting (around 70,000) is no where near close to the actual answer.
Try an absolute magnitude in the range of 0.55. That said, I took a look at the problem and the answer key seems a bit off to me - it would imply that an RR Lyrae star has an absolute magnitude in the range of 11 to 12.
Userpage

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.
antoine_ego
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: MA

Post by antoine_ego »

Unome wrote:
Zxcvbnm123 wrote:
syo_astro wrote:

Does this help?
Try an absolute magnitude in the range of 0.55. That said, I took a look at the problem and the answer key seems a bit off to me - it would imply that an RR Lyrae star has an absolute magnitude in the range of 11 to 12.
In general, I use an average absolute magnitude of +0.75 for RR Lyrae variables based off of Wikipedia. I agree with Unome though, the answer key is wrong on this, since reverse engineering their answer gives me +11.58 as their absolute magnitude, which is less than even the Sun.
Rest in Peace Len Joeris
[b]2016 Air Trajectory Nationals - 3rd
2018 Hovercraft Nationals - 6th
2018 Mousetrap Nationals - 6th
2018 Nationals - Team 9th Place!
2019 Astronomy Nationals - 3rd!
2019 Nationals - Team 9th Place!
[/b]
Acton-Boxborough Regional High School Captain 17-19
syo_astro
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: NY

Post by syo_astro »

Sent some emails, double checked myself, indeed the key has a mistake. The answers should be about
(a) 70,795 pc
(b) 0.014 mas

So the 70,000 pc is basically correct...the previous two posts also agree with my point about not just assuming "the wiki value is right" and searching around a little or asking. Besides, the citation for the wiki value still works, and it's important to note there is an errorbar even on that average value...statistics are tricky!

Hope that helps.
B: Crave the Wave, Environmental Chemistry, Robo-Cross, Meteo, Phys Sci Lab, Solar System, DyPlan (E and V), Shock Value
C: Microbe Mission, DyPlan (Fresh Waters), Fermi Questions, GeoMaps, Grav Vehicle, Scrambler, Rocks, Astro
Grad: Writing Tests/Supervising (NY/MI)
SciolyHarsh

Post by SciolyHarsh »

On the golden gate test, how would you do 17 c, d, and f?
2017-2018 Events: Chemistry Lab, Dynamic Planet, Microbe Mission, Experimental Design, Rocks and Minerals

2018-2019 Events: Dynamic Planet, Astronomy, Sounds of Music, Circuit Lab, Geologic Mapping

Return to “2019 Study Events”