Road Scholar B

kindactor24
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Road Scholar B

Post by kindactor24 »

Hi! Does anyone know where I can find detailed information on the Sector Reference System. When I look it up the Spatial Reference System comes up. Is that the same thing?
kindactor24

Post by kindactor24 »

Also if anyone knows what the Sector Reference System is could you please just tell me that too? Thank you so much!
dxu46
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: C
State: MO
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by dxu46 »

kindactor24 wrote:Also if anyone knows what the Sector Reference System is could you please just tell me that too? Thank you so much!
kindactor24 wrote:Hi! Does anyone know where I can find detailed information on the Sector Reference System. When I look it up the Spatial Reference System comes up. Is that the same thing?
IDK if there's an exact website for it, but I think I learned from handouts that I don't remember. If you're talking about the PLSS-type stuff then i'll explain: In each township/range there are 36 sections, starting from the top right corner at 1, snaking to 6 at the top left, then down 1 to 7, etc. In topographic maps there are these little plus signs that are known as graticule tick marks, which separate the 9 sectors, going (in order of right to left, top to bottom) 1st row 1 2 3 2nd row 4 5 6 3rd row 7 8 9. These are the sectors of the map. Note that these sectors are for the map only. They don't correlate with PLSS, so each map has its unique set of sectors. Also the sector separators line up with the latitude/longitude markings, if you're doing a 7.5 minute topo map.

I'm not sure if that's what you want, but if you have questions, feel free to ask.
IsabellaC92343
Division: B
State: NY

Post by IsabellaC92343 »

Hello! I Have 2 questions.
1) I seem to be better at Highway Map and struggle with topographic ones. Does anyone have any tips for studying for these maps? For example reference links or tricks regarding the map itself?
2) Last competition my partner and I had some trouble dealing with the time aspect of the competition. Does anybody have any tips on how to manage the time better? Would it be better to split the test or to do it together? To do all of a certain map first or to kind of jump around?
Thanks!
dxu46
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by dxu46 »

IsabellaC92343 wrote:Hello! I Have 2 questions.
1) I seem to be better at Highway Map and struggle with topographic ones. Does anyone have any tips for studying for these maps? For example reference links or tricks regarding the map itself?
2) Last competition my partner and I had some trouble dealing with the time aspect of the competition. Does anybody have any tips on how to manage the time better? Would it be better to split the test or to do it together? To do all of a certain map first or to kind of jump around?
Thanks!
1. Just look at them a lot. A good way to study is to get a topo map of somewhere you know, then try to locate those features on the map. You can become familiar with topo maps and learn about your surroundings!
2. Road Scholar tests are too long for both partners to work together. You need to split the test. Usually one person does highway maps and the other does topo maps. The map drawing, profile, and satellite images part can be divided whichever way you want. If you say you're bad at topo maps, do highway maps and make your partner do topo.
Nba2302
State: MN

Post by Nba2302 »

im new to road scholar. Where should it start?Where to find info? How to be successful?Best way to takes notes? Thanks!
dxu46
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by dxu46 »

Nba2302 wrote:im new to road scholar. Where should it start?Where to find info? How to be successful?Best way to takes notes? Thanks!
Start by reading the wiki and getting a general understanding of the event. Then, I think there's a lesson book in the coaches' manual that has starter materials. If that's not a thing, then Google is your best friend. I guess it's good to start by creating a binder, since creating a binder helps you understand what you put on it. After that, you should just look at a lot of maps and apply those things you learned. You don't need to take notes or "study" in the normal Science Olympiad manner, the most important thing is to get practice.

Good job in choosing this great event!
Dexter594

Post by Dexter594 »

Where can I get the templates required for road scholar 2019? (UTS and PLSS)
amk578
State: IN

Post by amk578 »

For making topo profiles, I know the y-axis is elevation, but what would the x-axis be (if any is used)?
2018 - Anatomy, Crime Busters, & Road
2019 - Anatomy, Disease, Heredity, & Road
2020 - Anatomy, DGenes, Disease, Forensics, Ping Pong Parachute, & Protein Modeling
2021 - Anatomy, Chem Lab, DGenes, Disease, Machines, & Protein Modeling
dxu46
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by dxu46 »

amk578 wrote:For making topo profiles, I know the y-axis is elevation, but what would the x-axis be (if any is used)?
Distance horizontally (for example if you do an imaginary profile of the bottom line of section 21 on madeupmap quadrangle, the bottom line of the section would be your x-axis.

Return to “2019 Study Events”