Road Scholar B

Adi1008
Division: Grad
State: CA
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Road Scholar B

Post by Adi1008 »

Road Scholar B: Participants will answer interpretive questions that may use one or more state highway maps, USGS topographic maps, Internet-generated maps, a road atlas or satellite/aerial images.

Road Scholar Wiki

Road Scholar Test Exchange 2018

Past Threads: 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018

Past Question Marathons: 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018
Stanford University
University of Texas at Austin '22
Seven Lakes High School '18
Beckendorff Junior High '14
dxu46
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: C
State: MO

Re: Road Scholar B

Post by dxu46 »

RIP, now we have to bring colored pencils/markers for the Map Drawing, and we can bring a box of materials. Also, we can't have calculators that are graphing or programmable.
dxu46
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by dxu46 »

@anyone who went to nats last year and did road

What were the satellite map questions like? Did they closely follow the rules, and what were the actual maps like?
ferociousbus493
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by ferociousbus493 »

dxu46 wrote:@anyone who went to nats last year and did road

What were the satellite map questions like? Did they closely follow the rules, and what were the actual maps like?
I was at the nationals for road scholar, my partner is at a new school so I am answering this on my own... If memory serves right it was mostly road maps and a few topographic maps. I don't think there were any satellite maps. I may not have seen them because I did not have time to finish the whole thing, and my partner was doing a lot of the multiple choice questions while I was doing the topographic map profiling and stream gradient. I will try to contact my partner and get back to you.
ferociousbus493

Post by ferociousbus493 »

welp, this done died :cry: :cry: :cry:
seffnelsus
Division: B
State: CO

Post by seffnelsus »

Is there a fun way to study for Road Scholar? I may or may not have been placed in the event and I'm not sure where to start studying.
2019 Events: Herpetology, Road Scholar, Elastic Launched Glider, Experimental Design :D
2018 Events: Herpetology, Thermodynamics, Ecology, Crime Busters ;)
OrigamiPlanet
State: PA

Post by OrigamiPlanet »

seffnelsus wrote:Is there a fun way to study for Road Scholar? I may or may not have been placed in the event and I'm not sure where to start studying.
The best way I can assume would be a fun way to study, is to simply while you're out on the road try to follow yourself on a paper map. I understand this is very farfetched since you might get carsick while reading like I do or maybe just holding a large map, in particularly of your area, isn't the most common thing. However, this would be a good way to just simulate yourself and be able to read a map.
Div. C - Cumberland Valley High School

Events
Astronomy; Codebusters; Dynamic Planet

Howdy partner ;)

Email me for anything! Aliases are HeeYaww and v_v_vle
dxu46
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by dxu46 »

OrigamiPlanet wrote:
seffnelsus wrote:Is there a fun way to study for Road Scholar? I may or may not have been placed in the event and I'm not sure where to start studying.
The best way I can assume would be a fun way to study, is to simply while you're out on the road try to follow yourself on a paper map. I understand this is very farfetched since you might get carsick while reading like I do or maybe just holding a large map, in particularly of your area, isn't the most common thing. However, this would be a good way to just simulate yourself and be able to read a map.
Study by doing tests. IIRC there's this one set that has explanations as it goes (I think it centers around the Engelwood CO quad?) and it has multiple lessons with practice problems under it. Looking out of the window is good, try to picture a map in your head and estimate how far you're traveling.
Anomaly
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: PA
Pronouns: She/Her/Hers

Post by Anomaly »

dxu46 wrote:
OrigamiPlanet wrote:
Study by doing tests. IIRC there's this one set that has explanations as it goes (I think it centers around the Engelwood CO quad?) and it has multiple lessons with practice problems under it. Looking out of the window is good, try to picture a map in your head and estimate how far you're traveling.
The Englewood CO quad is in the Coaches Handbook, which is really helpful in learning most of the concepts for Road Scholar
Orefield MS SO 2015-2018, Parkland HS SO 2019-2020
Medal/Ribbon Count
Invitational: 25
Regional: 16
State: 7
y o i n k s
Events: Anatomy and Physiology, Codebusters, Designer Genes, Protein Modeling
don't look at this its fake news now
JardonMaroon

Post by JardonMaroon »

A good way for finding objects is to play I Spy or come up with simple distance questions. Playing I Spy helped me especially last year as we were looking at a city map with mountains on the side, which made it difficult to read ad see things, but we made it through.

Return to “2019 Study Events”