Sharan.thiru
Division: B
State: PA
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Solar System B

Post by Sharan.thiru »

bp31000 wrote:
MatthewK. wrote:Hey everyone! This is my first year doing Solar System. I was wondering if anyone could tell me the best places to look for information. I know that the rotation is about to end, but I still want to know as Regionals at BGSU are coming up this weekend and I don't really have a good cheat sheet. Thanks!
it is difficult to find all things in one place, even in wikipedia. Start with NASA site, also if you google individual things Eg: planetary processes, you will find some university teaching pages or pdfs also image search for important crates, mountains etc with names, you will encounter most images you are going to get in the exam.
It's easier to find info on everything at solarsystem.nasa.gov. I used it and got pretty much all 4 pages from that
Eagle View Middle School
2018-2019 Events: Dynamic Planet, Meteorology, Solar System
Total Medal Count:16
Invitational-8
Regionals:6
States:2
AwersomeUser

Post by AwersomeUser »

Sharan.thiru wrote:
bp31000 wrote:
MatthewK. wrote:Hey everyone! This is my first year doing Solar System. I was wondering if anyone could tell me the best places to look for information. I know that the rotation is about to end, but I still want to know as Regionals at BGSU are coming up this weekend and I don't really have a good cheat sheet. Thanks!
it is difficult to find all things in one place, even in wikipedia. Start with NASA site, also if you google individual things Eg: planetary processes, you will find some university teaching pages or pdfs also image search for important crates, mountains etc with names, you will encounter most images you are going to get in the exam.
It's easier to find info on everything at solarsystem.nasa.gov. I used it and got pretty much all 4 pages from that
I tried to avoid Wikipedia at the beginning and there’s literally no other reliable updated websites besides that NASA website, which it doesn’t have enough details so now I prefer Wikipedia.
2018-2019: Fossils, Solar System, Sci Quiz Bowl (Trial)
2019-2020: Circuit Lab, Machines, Mission (Im)possible, Reach For The Stars
2020-2021: Anatomy & Physilogy (if no conflicts) Astronomy, Enviromental Chemistry, Machines <-- I want to do these...
fiddhantfen
State: IL

Post by fiddhantfen »

AwersomeUser wrote:
Sharan.thiru wrote:
bp31000 wrote: it is difficult to find all things in one place, even in wikipedia. Start with NASA site, also if you google individual things Eg: planetary processes, you will find some university teaching pages or pdfs also image search for important crates, mountains etc with names, you will encounter most images you are going to get in the exam.
I tried to avoid Wikipedia at the beginning and there’s literally no other reliable updated websites besides that NASA website, which it doesn’t have enough details so now I prefer Wikipedia.
Wiki is really useful...at the bottom they cite all their sources, so you can use those too.
- Fiddhant Fen

Solar System 2019B, Disease Detectives 2019B, Fossils 2019B, and Roller Coaster 2019B. :geek: :D

"Continuous effort - not strength or intelligence - is the key to unlocking our potential."

-Winston Churchill
AwersomeUser

Post by AwersomeUser »

What does the rule mean by “Remote sensing, imagery, and satellite measurements” and also “Surface dating, regolith, volcanism & weathering, cratering & impact processes”? Can some give some specific examples? (Oops I just realized I haven’t started studying specifically for those)
2020-2021: Anatomy & Physilogy (if no conflicts) Astronomy, Enviromental Chemistry, Machines <-- I want to do these...
bp31000
Division: C
State: TN

Post by bp31000 »

AwersomeUser wrote:What does the rule mean by “Remote sensing, imagery, and satellite measurements” and also “Surface dating, regolith, volcanism & weathering, cratering & impact processes”? Can some give some specific examples? (Oops I just realized I haven’t started studying specifically for those)
you will have to search each of those separately or find them all in wikipedia. lunar and planetary institute (LPI) site has "Out of school time activities" tab >> look for "explore!" >> "shaping the planets" >> It has Volcanism,Tectonism, Erosion, Impact Cratering links.

also in solarsystem.NASA page, you have >> MORE >> Basics of Space flight >> Chapter 12 is Science instruments, everything about remote sensing etc are there with images!
State & Regional 2019 events B
<3 Solar system, Water Quality, Anatomy and Physiology- 1st State & Regional <3
:roll: Heredity 4th state, 2nd regional :roll:
AwersomeUser

Post by AwersomeUser »

bp31000 wrote:
AwersomeUser wrote:What does the rule mean by “Remote sensing, imagery, and satellite measurements” and also “Surface dating, regolith, volcanism & weathering, cratering & impact processes”? Can some give some specific examples? (Oops I just realized I haven’t started studying specifically for those)
you will have to search each of those separately or find them all in wikipedia. lunar and planetary institute (LPI) site has "Out of school time activities" tab >> look for "explore!" >> "shaping the planets" >> It has Volcanism,Tectonism, Erosion, Impact Cratering links.

also in solarsystem.NASA page, you have >> MORE >> Basics of Space flight >> Chapter 12 is Science instruments, everything about remote sensing etc are there with images!
Ok thanks! (Even though that’s not exactly what I am asking)
Sharan.thiru
State: PA

Post by Sharan.thiru »

AwersomeUser wrote:
bp31000 wrote:

That would be like identifying what features are on the surface of the planet, what the highlighted partis made up of, or what would you expect to find in a certain part of a planet or satellite, what do certain feature in a crater look like, and stuff like that.
Eagle View Middle School
2018-2019 Events: Dynamic Planet, Meteorology, Solar System
Total Medal Count:16
Invitational-8
Regionals:6
States:2
AwersomeUser

Post by AwersomeUser »

Sharan.thiru wrote:
AwersomeUser wrote:
bp31000 wrote: you will have to search each of those separately or find them all in wikipedia. lunar and planetary institute (LPI) site has "Out of school time activities" tab >> look for "explore!" >> "shaping the planets" >> It has Volcanism,Tectonism, Erosion, Impact Cratering links.

That would be like identifying what features are on the surface of the planet, what the highlighted partis made up of, or what would you expect to find in a certain part of a planet or satellite, what do certain feature in a crater look like, and stuff like that.
Oh ok. How much harder would you say state tests are? (My guess is that there will not be any mutiple choice questions and maybe more identifying type of questions.) How much time do you think I should spend preparing since my competition is next Friday (4/5)? What topics are likely be asked the most? (I mean like would the moon, pluto, or whatever be asked the most.) I am thinking about remaking my cheat sheet but I struggle to choose what to put on it...
Killboe
State: AR

Post by Killboe »

AwersomeUser wrote:
Sharan.thiru wrote:
AwersomeUser wrote:
Oh ok. How much harder would you say state tests are? (My guess is that there will not be any mutiple choice questions and maybe more identifying type of questions.) How much time do you think I should spend preparing since my competition is next Friday (4/5)? What topics are likely be asked the most? (I mean like would the moon, pluto, or whatever be asked the most.) I am thinking about remaking my cheat sheet but I struggle to choose what to put on it...
I just took a states test (FL). The test was A M A Z I N G, everything in it was on the rule sheet. It was 170 questions, almost all was short response. As for your cheat sheet, for each celestial body I would include rotation period, orbit period, distance, internal structure, atmosphere, formation, resonance with other bodies, any unique features, eccentricity, notable geologic features, diameter, mass, size, what it's classified as, anything else really. But yeah I have that and more for each celestial body. For Oumuamua and 2007OR10 though, you will need a LOT of information. A lot of the test was identifying but for the most part it was easy, it will ask for anything and everything, so prepare. Some questions were kind of not on the rules (Vesta and 2010TK, unless I don't remember the rules). However, solar is a fairly easy event and if it's easy for you. You know that it's easy for others, so include everything. Also, on the test it was asking for surface temp a lot in Celcius, so make sure it's Celcius and not Kelvin (jokes on the test makers i knew how to convert it). Good luck at states and I wish you the best!
LiteralRhinoceros
Division: C
State: NJ
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by LiteralRhinoceros »

Killboe wrote:
AwersomeUser wrote:
Sharan.thiru wrote: That would be like identifying what features are on the surface of the planet, what the highlighted partis made up of, or what would you expect to find in a certain part of a planet or satellite, what do certain feature in a crater look like, and stuff like that.
I just took a states test (FL). The test was A M A Z I N G, everything in it was on the rule sheet. It was 170 questions, almost all was short response. As for your cheat sheet, for each celestial body I would include rotation period, orbit period, distance, internal structure, atmosphere, formation, resonance with other bodies, any unique features, eccentricity, notable geologic features, diameter, mass, size, what it's classified as, anything else really. But yeah I have that and more for each celestial body. For Oumuamua and 2007OR10 though, you will need a LOT of information. A lot of the test was identifying but for the most part it was easy, it will ask for anything and everything, so prepare. Some questions were kind of not on the rules (Vesta and 2010TK, unless I don't remember the rules). However, solar is a fairly easy event and if it's easy for you. You know that it's easy for others, so include everything. Also, on the test it was asking for surface temp a lot in Celcius, so make sure it's Celcius and not Kelvin (jokes on the test makers i knew how to convert it). Good luck at states and I wish you the best!
does florida release state tests?
Dank Memes Area Homeschool 2017-2019

Community MS '19
WW-P HS North '23

Events: DyPlan, GeoMapping, Astro

Userpage

Return to “2019 Study Events”