Solar System B

bp31000
Division: C
State: TN
Been thanked: 0

Re: Solar System B

Post by bp31000 »

fiddhantfen wrote:Resources I've found to be helpful are wikipedia (obviously), the NASA image galleries, space.com image galleries, and soinc.org, keep an eye out for practice tests.
strangely i found the space.com better at using NASA images than NASA is, it is easier to find them!
State & Regional 2019 events B
<3 Solar system, Water Quality, Anatomy and Physiology- 1st State & Regional <3
:roll: Heredity 4th state, 2nd regional :roll:
bp31000

Post by bp31000 »

my regional had questions for finding orbital velocity, i know we are supposed to know Kepler's laws, but never thought we would actually have to use the math. the rules didn't even allow calculators! is such math questions something we should be expecting at state level?
Unome
Division: Grad
State: GA

Post by Unome »

bp31000 wrote:my regional had questions for finding orbital velocity, i know we are supposed to know Kepler's laws, but never thought we would actually have to use the math. the rules didn't even allow calculators! is such math questions something we should be expecting at state level?
The test should not have had questions that require significant computation with Kepler's laws, although many test writers fail to notice that calculators aren't allowed and ask such questions accidentally. That said, it's possible to write simple math-based Kepler's laws questions that don't require the use of a calculator.
Userpage

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.
Killboe
State: AR
Has thanked: 0

Post by Killboe »

Unome wrote:
bp31000 wrote:my regional had questions for finding orbital velocity, i know we are supposed to know Kepler's laws, but never thought we would actually have to use the math. the rules didn't even allow calculators! is such math questions something we should be expecting at state level?
The test should not have had questions that require significant computation with Kepler's laws, although many test writers fail to notice that calculators aren't allowed and ask such questions accidentally. That said, it's possible to write simple math-based Kepler's laws questions that don't require the use of a calculator.
I agree with Unome. However, the math questions usually don't require calculators and are very basic.
MatthewK.

Post by MatthewK. »

Hey everyone! This is my first year doing Solar System. I was wondering if anyone could tell me the best places to look for information. I know that the rotation is about to end, but I still want to know as Regionals at BGSU are coming up this weekend and I don't really have a good cheat sheet. Thanks!
space-egg
State: IN
Pronouns: She/Her/Hers

Post by space-egg »

MatthewK. wrote:Hey everyone! This is my first year doing Solar System. I was wondering if anyone could tell me the best places to look for information. I know that the rotation is about to end, but I still want to know as Regionals at BGSU are coming up this weekend and I don't really have a good cheat sheet. Thanks!

I recommend NASA, especially for the missions and dwarf planets. For things like asteroids, I used many sources.
the name's bond. covalent bond.

2019:
solar system and potions and poisons

2020 (yikes):
reach for the stars, ornithology, and meteorology

thanks for all the memories (:
bp31000

Post by bp31000 »

MatthewK. wrote:Hey everyone! This is my first year doing Solar System. I was wondering if anyone could tell me the best places to look for information. I know that the rotation is about to end, but I still want to know as Regionals at BGSU are coming up this weekend and I don't really have a good cheat sheet. Thanks!
it is difficult to find all things in one place, even in wikipedia. Start with NASA site, also if you google individual things Eg: planetary processes, you will find some university teaching pages or pdfs also image search for important crates, mountains etc with names, you will encounter most images you are going to get in the exam.
space-egg

Post by space-egg »

I'm working on my notes on the dwarf planets, and I can't find any resources for the sizes of Pluto and Eris. Some websites say that Eris is bigger in volume and Pluto is smaller, while others say that Pluto is larger in volume but Eris is larger in mass. Can someone please link me to solid proof? Thank you!

2019:

2020 (yikes):

Killboe
State: AR

Post by Killboe »

space-egg wrote:I'm working on my notes on the dwarf planets, and I can't find any resources for the sizes of Pluto and Eris. Some websites say that Eris is bigger in volume and Pluto is smaller, while others say that Pluto is larger in volume but Eris is larger in mass. Can someone please link me to solid proof? Thank you!
Pluto is larger than Eris, Eris has more mass than Pluto. I don't have solid proof. But I am 100% sure on that.
space-egg

Post by space-egg »

Killboe wrote:
space-egg wrote:I'm working on my notes on the dwarf planets, and I can't find any resources for the sizes of Pluto and Eris. Some websites say that Eris is bigger in volume and Pluto is smaller, while others say that Pluto is larger in volume but Eris is larger in mass. Can someone please link me to solid proof? Thank you!
Pluto is larger than Eris, Eris has more mass than Pluto. I don't have solid proof. But I am 100% sure on that.
Okay, that's what I originally thought. Thank you!

2019:

2020 (yikes):

Return to “2019 Study Events”