Solar System B

space-egg
State: IN
Pronouns: She/Her/Hers

Re: Solar System B

Post by space-egg »

Killboe wrote:
space-egg wrote:In the rules, it says that we should study rocky bodies in the solar system. That mostly implies the terrestrial planets (and the asteroids/trojans/etc.) Does that also include icy moons, such as the Galilean moons? At invitationals and regionals, there weren't any questions on the rocky moons of the outer planets. But at state, 60% of the test consisted of Jupiter and Saturn's moons. Should I expect this topic to be a big part of the Nationals test?
No. You are not supposed to be studying ANY of the terrestrial planets. Take a closer look at the rules. That, is what you need to be studying. If 60% of the test was on Jupiter and Saturn's moons, it was a bad test. The only moons that you should be studying are : Mimas, Phoebe, Earth's moon, and Charon.

This is in the rules: "Participants must be knowledgable about the history and geologic processes involved in the formation and evolution of Earth's moon and other rocky bodies of the solar system."

On every test I have taken, theere have been questions on the inner planets. Usually about their moons, geologic features, and formation. Even on the test exchange, many tests have in depth questions about the terrestrial planets.
the name's bond. covalent bond.

2019:
solar system and potions and poisons

2020 (yikes):
reach for the stars, ornithology, and meteorology

thanks for all the memories (:
Killboe
State: AR
Has thanked: 0

Post by Killboe »

space-egg wrote:
Killboe wrote:
space-egg wrote:In the rules, it says that we should study rocky bodies in the solar system. That mostly implies the terrestrial planets (and the asteroids/trojans/etc.) Does that also include icy moons, such as the Galilean moons? At invitationals and regionals, there weren't any questions on the rocky moons of the outer planets. But at state, 60% of the test consisted of Jupiter and Saturn's moons. Should I expect this topic to be a big part of the Nationals test?
No. You are not supposed to be studying ANY of the terrestrial planets. Take a closer look at the rules. That, is what you need to be studying. If 60% of the test was on Jupiter and Saturn's moons, it was a bad test. The only moons that you should be studying are : Mimas, Phoebe, Earth's moon, and Charon.

This is in the rules: "Participants must be knowledgable about the history and geologic processes involved in the formation and evolution of Earth's moon and other rocky bodies of the solar system."

On every test I have taken, theere have been questions on the inner planets. Usually about their moons, geologic features, and formation. Even on the test exchange, many tests have in depth questions about the terrestrial planets.
Every test? Really?

Read ALL of the rules.

We do not need to know about Mercury, Venus, Earth, Mars, Jupiter, Saturn, Uranus.
EastStroudsburg13
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
Division: Grad
State: PA
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by EastStroudsburg13 »

space-egg wrote:
Killboe wrote:

Several of the tests on the test exchange are from past years, when inner planets were part of the rules. In addition, I suspect some supervisors are not aware of all of the rules changes, and have been including questions about bodies that are not laid out in the rules.

However, for nationals, you should expect that the test will follow the rules. Thus, you should expect no questions on terrestrial planets, aside from questions about the Earth relating to eclipses, tides, etc.
East Stroudsburg South Class of 2012, Alumnus of JT Lambert, Drexel University Class of 2017

Helpful Links
Wiki
Wiki Pages that Need Work
FAQ and SciOly FAQ Wiki
Chat (See IRC Wiki for more info)
BBCode Wiki

So long, and thanks for all the Future Dictator titles!
space-egg

Post by space-egg »

EastStroudsburg13 wrote:
space-egg wrote:
Killboe wrote:

Several of the tests on the test exchange are from past years, when inner planets were part of the rules. In addition, I suspect some supervisors are not aware of all of the rules changes, and have been including questions about bodies that are not laid out in the rules.

However, for nationals, you should expect that the test will follow the rules. Thus, you should expect no questions on terrestrial planets, aside from questions about the Earth relating to eclipses, tides, etc.
Alright, I reread the rules and that makes sense. Thanks for your help.

2019:

2020 (yikes):

bp31000
Division: C
State: TN
Been thanked: 0

Post by bp31000 »

space-egg wrote:
Killboe wrote:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X5u4d-_ ... e=youtu.be
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q1bpyCg ... e=youtu.be
you can use the videos as the guide to what you are supposed to study.

test exchange has tests from previous years, which will not be relevant this year.
State & Regional 2019 events B
<3 Solar system, Water Quality, Anatomy and Physiology- 1st State & Regional <3
:roll: Heredity 4th state, 2nd regional :roll:
Girlpower05
State: MI

Post by Girlpower05 »

We had our State tournament last weekend, but unfortunately, our team will not be moving forward :cry: . Since I won't be doing this event again, here is the cheat sheet I made over the last two years: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1BZz ... sp=sharing I hope that this may help someone.
space-egg

Post by space-egg »

https://www.soinc.org/sites/default/fil ... est_V2.pdf
This test was posted on soinc.org. It's a sample 2019 test. Would it be expected that the person who wrote the sample test will also write the Nationals test?

2019:

2020 (yikes):

LiteralRhinoceros
State: NJ
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by LiteralRhinoceros »

space-egg wrote:https://www.soinc.org/sites/default/fil ... est_V2.pdf
This test was posted on soinc.org. It's a sample 2019 test. Would it be expected that the person who wrote the sample test will also write the Nationals test?
ye im pretty sure its dusty again
Dank Memes Area Homeschool 2017-2019

Community MS '19
WW-P HS North '23

Events: DyPlan, GeoMapping, Astro

Userpage
19alekb
Division: B
State: IL

Post by 19alekb »

what was the national test from last year like?
Killboe
State: AR

Post by Killboe »

19alekb wrote:what was the national test from last year like?
Similar to this year's sample test, except a bit harder.

Return to “2019 Study Events”