Re: Fermi Questions C

Post by 48is2n »

Yeah, 128/200 was good for 4th at MIT
eagerlearner102
Division: C
Been thanked: 0

Post by eagerlearner102 »

Do you guys have any advice on getting +5 on an answer instead of +3? Somehow, I get a lot of +3. The answers are either 1 less or 1 more than the actual fermi answer.
Also, how do you try to improve? My scores seem to remain the same as they are around 50%.
2019:Fermi Questions, Protein Modeling, Sounds of Music
2020: Designer Genes, Protein Modeling, Ping Pong Parachute
2021: Chem Lab, Experimental Design, Protein Modeling
Unome
Division: Grad
State: GA

Post by Unome »

eagerlearner102 wrote:Do you guys have any advice on getting +5 on an answer instead of +3? Somehow, I get a lot of +3. The answers are either 1 less or 1 more than the actual fermi answer.
Also, how do you try to improve? My scores seem to remain the same as they are around 50%.
50% is fairly good, although 65-70% was my usual goal at tournaments. I would recommend increasing the accuracy of your assumptions.
Userpage

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.
eagerlearner102

Thank you, but the main issue is that I seem to not improve much despite studying flashcards on Quizlet and starring ones I can't remember. Maybe it is because I am taking harder tests.
Unome
State: GA

Post by Unome »

eagerlearner102 wrote:Thank you, but the main issue is that I seem to not improve much despite studying flashcards on Quizlet and starring ones I can't remember. Maybe it is because I am taking harder tests.
I doubt it's about the test difficulty, unless the tests you're taking are absurdly difficult. Don't spend your time on Quizlet unless you're having trouble remembering the actual values you need - spend more time taking tests and figuring out your mistakes in reasoning through questions.
Userpage

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.
eagerlearner102

Thank you for your advice. I am not very experienced in Fermi Questions because this is my first year.
I will probably redo my past mistakes to see if my reasoning has changed.
sciolywin
Has thanked: 0

Post by sciolywin »

I'm probably doing fermi questions, and I have never done this event before for some regionals tounrament soon? Any tips on how to not fail? Any tips on how to place lol? Thank you. :D
John Richardsim
Wiki/Gallery Moderator Emeritus
Wiki/Gallery Moderator Emeritus
State: MI
Has thanked: 0

Post by John Richardsim »

sciolywin wrote:I'm probably doing fermi questions, and I have never done this event before for some regionals tounrament soon? Any tips on how to not fail? Any tips on how to place lol? Thank you. :D
Do a lot of practice questions and tests:

New test exchange: https://scioly.org/tests/
Old test exchange: https://scioly.org/wiki/index.php/2019_ ... _Questions
This season's question marathon (can be pretty useful to see how others are solving problems): viewtopic.php?f=297&t=12395

Make a list of useful formulas and memorize them. Also keep a list of common values that would be useful for solving problems (e.g. mass of earth, charge of an electron, avogadro's number, etc.) and commit those to memory as well.

Here are some stuff I've made:
Logs and constants quizlet set
Random values quizlet set (a few things in here are very Michigan-specific)
Units document: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1JyUMav ... NKQAw/view
eagerlearner102

The main issue with me is that I get a lot of +3 instead of +5. I either underestimate or overestimate. What is your advice on getting +5? I was calculating what would happen if I didn't get +3 and that would raise my score by 10%.
Name
State: NY
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by Name »

eagerlearner102 wrote:The main issue with me is that I get a lot of +3 instead of +5. I either underestimate or overestimate. What is your advice on getting +5? I was calculating what would happen if I didn't get +3 and that would raise my score by 10%.
Everyone gets alotta +3s, it's unavoidable sometimes. That being said, memorize numbers to at least one decimal place (for example don't memorize 1 au = E11 meters, memorize it as 1 au = 1.5E11 meters). Sometimes more could be useful, but generally not. Also don't round too much when doing calculations. Try to keep at least one decimal place when multiplying (It could also be easier to write out the entire equation of things your multiplying and dividing and seeing if anything cancels out).

Minimize your estimating by memorizing as much infomation as you can- even a small difference in your estimation can throw off your answer (and sometimes by more then by a factor of 10 when stuff is cubed or whatever). Also more infomation provides a better basis to estimate from. Figure out why you got +3 instead of +5. If you find a particular value that you didn't estimate correctly, memorize it so next time you see the value again it won't throw you off. Just keep on taking more practice tests, you'll get better at getting those +5s.
South Woods MS, Syosset HS '21
BirdSO TD/ES
Past Events: Microbe, Invasive, Matsci, Fermi, Astro, Code, Fossils
1st place MIT Codebusters 2019-2020
1st place NYS Fermi Questions (2019), Astronomy and Codebusters (2021)
Science Olympiad Founder's Scholarship winner

Return to “2019 Study Events”