Geologic Mapping C

fleicol1
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Geologic Mapping C

Post by fleicol1 »

What would be a good website for information on all of the fault. I haven't had much luck finding a good one.
UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: C
State: PA

Post by UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F »

fleicol1 wrote:What would be a good website for information on all of the fault. I haven't had much luck finding a good one.
There's not just one website with all the info, but here's a start

https://www.usgs.gov/faqs/what-a-fault- ... e_products
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fault_(geology)
https://www.thoughtco.com/fault-types-w ... ms-3879102
l0lit
State: FL

Post by l0lit »

I've seen that there is some discussion on the concept of bed thickness. The only scenario I've seen so far is where T = V cos d where T is true thickness, V is vertical thickness, and d is the angle of dip (as found in this scenario. Are there any other scenarios where the other equations (such as T = V cos d - H sin d ) come into play?
Any opinions stated on this site are not official, the only official information can be found at soinc.org

University of South Florida '25
Carmel SciOly Alumni, Captain 2019-21
Tests written
UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

l0lit wrote:I've seen that there is some discussion on the concept of bed thickness. The only scenario I've seen so far is where T = V cos d where T is true thickness, V is vertical thickness, and d is the angle of dip (as found in this scenario. Are there any other scenarios where the other equations (such as T = V cos d - H sin d ) come into play?
It's best to just use trig instead of trying to apply an equation in that scenario in my opinion. Other equations would apply if other angles/lengths were given.
Unome
Division: Grad
State: GA

Post by Unome »

UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F wrote:
l0lit wrote:I've seen that there is some discussion on the concept of bed thickness. The only scenario I've seen so far is where T = V cos d where T is true thickness, V is vertical thickness, and d is the angle of dip (as found in this scenario. Are there any other scenarios where the other equations (such as T = V cos d - H sin d ) come into play?
It's best to just use trig instead of trying to apply an equation in that scenario in my opinion. Other equations would apply if other angles/lengths were given.
Heh, that's exactly what I was going to say.
Userpage

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.
freed2003
State: CA

Post by freed2003 »

whats the difference between brittle and friable? or are they interchangable?
BEARSO/MIT/High Desert/Regionals/State?
Cybersecurity 3/ /2/1
Codebusters 6/2/1/1
Circuit lab 77/20/3/1
Machines / /2/1
UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

freed2003 wrote:whats the difference between brittle and friable? or are they interchangable?
Brittle is used more often in structural geology and thus this event. According to Wikipedia, friable is used in soft-rock geology and describes the tendency of a solid substance to break insto smaller pieces under duress or contact, especially by rubbing, e.g. sandstone.
SciHenry2017

Post by SciHenry2017 »

I’m new to this forum so I’m not sure if I am supposed to ask questions on here, but I need help. I don’t know how to solve this problem any help would be great. Thank You!!

You notice a horizontal outcrop of an unfolded stratum with a midline 50 meters below the top of a vertical cliff, with a thickness of 3 meters. After climbing to the top of the cliff to investigate further, you find another outcrop of the stratum on the flat clifftop, 2.6 meters wide.
61. What is the true thickness of this stratum in meters? (3)
62. How far is the midline of the second outcrop from the cliff edge in meters? (2)
UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

SciHenry2017 wrote:I’m new to this forum so I’m not sure if I am supposed to ask questions on here, but I need help. I don’t know how to solve this problem any help would be great. Thank You!!

You notice a horizontal outcrop of an unfolded stratum with a midline 50 meters below the top of a vertical cliff, with a thickness of 3 meters. After climbing to the top of the cliff to investigate further, you find another outcrop of the stratum on the flat clifftop, 2.6 meters wide.
62. How far is the midline of the second outcrop from the cliff edge in meters? (2)
The first thing to do when encountering this kind of picture is drawing a picture and labeling relevant angles and lengths. In this case, you would probably only need to draw a cross section. From there, solve for the angles and remaining lengths using some trig calculations. If you need more help, I can attempt to draw a picture. For 62, you would probably use similar triangles.
Last edited by UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F on March 19th, 2019, 5:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SciHenry2017

Post by SciHenry2017 »

UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F wrote:
SciHenry2017 wrote:I’m new to this forum so I’m not sure if I am supposed to ask questions on here, but I need help. I don’t know how to solve this problem any help would be great. Thank You!!

The first thing to do when encountering this kind of picture is drawing a picture and labeling relevant angles and lengths. In this case, you would probably only need to draw a cross section. From there, solve for the angles and remaining lengths using some trig calculations. If you need more help, I can attempt to draw a picture.
Yes can you draw the picture please? I would really appreciate it. Thank you!
Oh the answers are
61. 1.96-1.97 m
62. 43.3-43.4 m

Return to “2019 Study Events”