Fossils B/C

Unome
Division: Grad
State: GA

Re: Fossils B/C

Post by Unome »

Anomaly wrote:
HL21 wrote:Hi, on the list, there are some fossils that are bolded. Is there a reason for this?
Thanks!
I believe that the bolded fossils mean that they weren't on the list the last time that the event was run.
As a further note, this is generally the purpose of any bolding in the rules manual that looks random.
Userpage

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.
AwersomeUser
Division: B
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by AwersomeUser »

Hi everyone I have not started studying for this event. ( :shock: ) The competition for me is on February 9th. Is there any good tips how I can cramp in as much information I need? Thanks in advance. I really need it.
2018-2019: Fossils, Solar System, Sci Quiz Bowl (Trial)
2019-2020: Circuit Lab, Machines, Mission (Im)possible, Reach For The Stars
2020-2021: Anatomy & Physilogy (if no conflicts) Astronomy, Enviromental Chemistry, Machines <-- I want to do these...
JasperKota
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: C
State: NY

Post by JasperKota »

AwersomeUser wrote:Hi everyone I have not started studying for this event. ( :shock: ) The competition for me is on February 9th. Is there any good tips how I can cramp in as much information I need? Thanks in advance. I really need it.
Well... it is a binder event so you don't need to cram it all into your head, but you have over 100 species (check your state's website for the species list) to take notes on and put into your binder. I suggest getting identification pages down so you can at least earn those points. Good luck... (and please for future reference do not leave a binder event until the last two weeks to start on, it's a terrible idea and never goes well).
2020 Events: Fossils, Gravity Vehicle, Wright Stuff, Ping Pong Parachute
2019 Events: Fossils, Mousetrap Vehicle, Wright Stuff
2018 Events: Helicopters, Mousetrap Vehicle, Parasitology, WIDI
2017 Events: Ecology, Invasives, Wright Stuff
2016 Events: Crave the Wave, Dynamic Planet, Invasives
HL21

Post by HL21 »

Hi again! Under 34) Subclass Ammonoidea, there's (Goniatite, Ceratites, Ammonites).
Do you think we should have information on those specifically?

Also, thanks to everyone who replied to my previous questions! :)
dxu46
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: MO
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by dxu46 »

HL21 wrote:Hi again! Under 34) Subclass Ammonoidea, there's (Goniatite, Ceratites, Ammonites).

Probably not very much, but you should have it just in case. Rocks/Fossils are binder events, which means that you're responsible for probably anything they can find online.
UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: PA

Post by UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F »

dxu46 wrote:
HL21 wrote:Hi again! Under 34) Subclass Ammonoidea, there's (Goniatite, Ceratites, Ammonites).

Probably not very much, but you should have it just in case. Rocks/Fossils are binder events, which means that you're responsible for probably anything they can find online.
Yes, you should definitely have stuff on the different suture types
karanbe123
State: TX

Post by karanbe123 »

UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F wrote:
dxu46 wrote:

Yes, you should definitely have stuff on the different suture types
The most important thing is to be able to differentiate the different suture types.
Beckendorff 2016-2019
Seven Lakes
gneissisnice
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: Grad

Post by gneissisnice »

You should be able to identify those suture types, and I'd say that you also want to be able to put them in order of complexity and when they evolved.
2009 events:
Fossils: 1st @ reg. 3rd @ states (stupid dinosaurs...) 5th @ nats.
Dynamic: 1st @ reg. 19thish @ states, 18th @ nats
Herpetology (NOT the study of herpes): NA
Enviro Chem: 39th @ states =(
Cell Bio: 9th @ reg. 18th @ nats
Remote: 6th @ states 3rd @ Nats
Ecology: 5th @ Nats
AwersomeUser

Post by AwersomeUser »

JasperKota wrote:
AwersomeUser wrote:Hi everyone I have not started studying for this event. ( :shock: ) The competition for me is on February 9th. Is there any good tips how I can cramp in as much information I need? Thanks in advance. I really need it.
Well... it is a binder event so you don't need to cram it all into your head, but you have over 100 species (check your state's website for the species list) to take notes on and put into your binder. I suggest getting identification pages down so you can at least earn those points. Good luck... (and please for future reference do not leave a binder event until the last two weeks to start on, it's a terrible idea and never goes well).

I figured that. :(

How many pages can a 3 inch binder hold and also how many pages do you recommend for to create for each fossil? Thanks.
2018-2019: Fossils, Solar System, Sci Quiz Bowl (Trial)
2019-2020: Circuit Lab, Machines, Mission (Im)possible, Reach For The Stars
2020-2021: Anatomy & Physilogy (if no conflicts) Astronomy, Enviromental Chemistry, Machines <-- I want to do these...
dxu46
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: MO
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by dxu46 »

AwersomeUser wrote: How many pages can a 3 inch binder hold and also how many pages do you recommend for to create for each fossil? Thanks.
This is speaking from a mostly rocks-and-minerals perspective, but you shouldn't use all 3 inches of your binder. While you may have a lot of information, there's no easy way to navigate it (as I learned the hard way :(). I'd say 1-2 front-back pages for each fossil, depending on your preferred font size and stuff.

Return to “2019 Study Events”