Fossils B/C

hmmm
Division: C
State: NJ

Re: Fossils B/C

Post by hmmm »

What's the difference between coelocanthiformes and actinopterygii in ID?
Community 2017-2019
WWP North 2019-2023
Wiki Userpage
wec01
Division: Grad
State: VA
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by wec01 »

hmmm wrote:What's the difference between coelocanthiformes and actinopterygii in ID?
One big difference is the fins; coelocanths are lobe-finned and actinopterygii are ray-finned
This can be pretty clearly seen in the tails where coelocanths are more fleshy? I guess you could say? (not sure how you would describe it) and actinopterygii has long rays and the tail is often split.
2019 Division C Nationals Medals:
4th place Fossils
5th place Sounds of Music
2nd place Thermodynamics
Bread
State: IN

Post by Bread »

wec01 wrote:
hmmm wrote:What's the difference between coelocanthiformes and actinopterygii in ID?
One big difference is the fins; coelocanths are lobe-finned and actinopterygii are ray-finned
This can be pretty clearly seen in the tails where coelocanths are more fleshy? I guess you could say? (not sure how you would describe it) and actinopterygii has long rays and the tail is often split.
Yeah that's how I usually identify sarcopterygii and actinopterygii. The tail in sarcopterygii (and coelacanthiformes) is typically more convex while the tail in sarcopterygii is typically concave.
VHS '22
VU/Reg/State/Nats
Rocks:10/2/3/21
Dynamic:3/2/11/46

Reg/State/Nats
Rocks:1/1/15
Thermo:1/6/29
Roller:3/10/20

VU/Reg/State/Nats
Fossils <3 :1/1/1/2 :D 
Dynamic:4/1/2/26
Thermo:2/1/1/5 :D 
Roller:9/-/1/51 (tier)
Rip maybe next year
jaspattack
State: MO

Post by jaspattack »

Where do you guys usually find info on the plant genera on the list? I'm having difficulty finding more specific information on extant ones, such as when they first appeared or things like that.
CHS '21 // Mizzou '25 | Jaspattack's Userpage

2020-21 Events: Designer Genes, Forensics, Ornithology, Protein Modeling

I edit the wiki sometimes.
jennarholt
State: NC
Pronouns: She/Her/Hers

Post by jennarholt »

jaspattack wrote:Where do you guys usually find info on the plant genera on the list? I'm having difficulty finding more specific information on extant ones, such as when they first appeared or things like that.
I found mine but just searching a lot and wikipedia, although I can't guarantee that gives you everything (my last page literally just says it's a fern it has fronds)
2023: Rocks and Minerals, Dynamic Planet, Cell Biology
2022: Rocks and Minerals (R.2nd, St. 3rd)
>2021: Fossils was the love of my life. Some days I can still hear its call...
wec01
State: VA

Post by wec01 »

jennarholt wrote:
jaspattack wrote:Where do you guys usually find info on the plant genera on the list? I'm having difficulty finding more specific information on extant ones, such as when they first appeared or things like that.
I found mine but just searching a lot and wikipedia, although I can't guarantee that gives you everything (my last page literally just says it's a fern it has fronds)
Yeah, honestly once you have basic information like angiosperm or gymnosperm, seeds or spores, etc., and you can ID them, you'll probably get most of the questions on plants. The main one you should look into more thoroughly is probably Lepidodendron, but the others also have a few aspects that are often tested on. As for timeline information, fossilworks seems to be helpful: http://fossilworks.org/bridge.pl?a=taxo ... n_no=81701
here is the page on Acer, for example, and you can search for the others.
2019 Division C Nationals Medals:
4th place Fossils
5th place Sounds of Music
2nd place Thermodynamics
jaspattack
State: MO

Post by jaspattack »

Thank you guys! My regional test questions about plants were pretty easy, but I wanted to make sure I was prepared as possible for state (-:
CHS '21 // Mizzou '25 | Jaspattack's Userpage

2020-21 Events: Designer Genes, Forensics, Ornithology, Protein Modeling

I edit the wiki sometimes.
DragonTownEpic
State: CA
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by DragonTownEpic »

wec01 wrote:
jennarholt wrote:
Yeah, honestly once you have basic information like angiosperm or gymnosperm, seeds or spores, etc., and you can ID them, you'll probably get most of the questions on plants. The main one you should look into more thoroughly is probably Lepidodendron, but the others also have a few aspects that are often tested on. As for timeline information, fossilworks seems to be helpful: http://fossilworks.org/bridge.pl?a=taxo ... n_no=81701
Glossopteris too! I see it tested very frequently.
I CAN DAB AT COMPETITIONS AGAIN :x :x :x
UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: PA

Post by UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F »

DragonTownEpic wrote:
wec01 wrote:
jennarholt wrote: I found mine but just searching a lot and wikipedia, although I can't guarantee that gives you everything (my last page literally just says it's a fern it has fronds)
Glossopteris is importantly mainly because it helped with the theory of plate tectonics
Unome
State: GA

Post by Unome »

UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F wrote:
DragonTownEpic wrote:
wec01 wrote: Yeah, honestly once you have basic information like angiosperm or gymnosperm, seeds or spores, etc., and you can ID them, you'll probably get most of the questions on plants. The main one you should look into more thoroughly is probably Lepidodendron, but the others also have a few aspects that are often tested on. As for timeline information, fossilworks seems to be helpful: http://fossilworks.org/bridge.pl?a=taxo ... n_no=81701
Glossopteris is importantly mainly because it helped with the theory of plate tectonics
Concur, fossils that have particular importance or interesting characteristics tend to come up more often. It's much easier to write questions about, say, Plateosaurus than about Astraeospongia.
Userpage

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.

Return to “2019 Study Events”