Circuit Lab B/C

Cathy-TJ
Member
Member
Posts: 28
Joined: January 20th, 2019, 7:13 pm
Division: C
State: VA
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Circuit Lab B/C

Post by Cathy-TJ » February 26th, 2019, 6:58 pm

mjcox2000 wrote:
Cathy-TJ wrote:Calculate the resistance between terminals A and B in the infinite chain of resistors where all resistors are 1 ohm.
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1SuAGn ... q1QjmSB_6H
Since the network repeats, if its resistance is R, it consists of a 1-ohm resistor in series with a unit consisting of a parallel 1-ohm and R-ohm resistor. Solving for R, we see that [math]R=\frac{1+\sqrt5}2\Omega[/math], or assuming sufficient sig figs, about [math]1.618\Omega[/math].
Nice!
The answer is also the golden ratio!
Nationals Placings:
2019 Circuit Lab - 1
2018 Disease Detectives - 1
2015 Picture This - 6

2019 Events:
Chemistry Lab, Circuit Lab, Disease Detectives

Competitors today, teammates tomorrow

mjcox2000
Member
Member
Posts: 121
Joined: May 9th, 2014, 3:34 am
Division: Grad
State: VA
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Circuit Lab B/C

Post by mjcox2000 » February 26th, 2019, 7:53 pm

Positive and negative charge carriers behave the same in almost all circuits. However, there are some circuits in which it actually makes a difference whether charge carriers are positive or negative. What is an example of a circuit in which this matters, and why does the distinction matter for this circuit?
MIT ‘23
TJHSST ‘19
Longfellow MS

See my user page for nationals medals and event supervising experience.

Cathy-TJ
Member
Member
Posts: 28
Joined: January 20th, 2019, 7:13 pm
Division: C
State: VA
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Circuit Lab B/C

Post by Cathy-TJ » February 26th, 2019, 8:04 pm

mjcox2000 wrote:Positive and negative charge carriers behave the same in almost all circuits. However, there are some circuits in which it actually makes a difference whether charge carriers are positive or negative. What is an example of a circuit in which this matters, and why does the distinction matter for this circuit?
N-gate and P-gate transistors? P gates allow flow when the signal is low (logic 0), while N-gates allow flow when the signal is high (logic 1).
Might be misinterpreting this question.
Nationals Placings:
2019 Circuit Lab - 1
2018 Disease Detectives - 1
2015 Picture This - 6

2019 Events:
Chemistry Lab, Circuit Lab, Disease Detectives

Competitors today, teammates tomorrow

mjcox2000
Member
Member
Posts: 121
Joined: May 9th, 2014, 3:34 am
Division: Grad
State: VA
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Circuit Lab B/C

Post by mjcox2000 » February 27th, 2019, 4:14 am

Cathy-TJ wrote:
mjcox2000 wrote:Positive and negative charge carriers behave the same in almost all circuits. However, there are some circuits in which it actually makes a difference whether charge carriers are positive or negative. What is an example of a circuit in which this matters, and why does the distinction matter for this circuit?
N-gate and P-gate transistors? P gates allow flow when the signal is low (logic 0), while N-gates allow flow when the signal is high (logic 1).
Might be misinterpreting this question.
That’s not what I was going for.

Let me try rephrasing the question: Describe a circuit in which macro-level measurements of the circuit would differ depending on whether charge carriers are electrons flowing opposite conventional current or positive charge carriers flowing in the direction of conventional current.
MIT ‘23
TJHSST ‘19
Longfellow MS

See my user page for nationals medals and event supervising experience.

Cathy-TJ
Member
Member
Posts: 28
Joined: January 20th, 2019, 7:13 pm
Division: C
State: VA
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Circuit Lab B/C

Post by Cathy-TJ » February 27th, 2019, 12:07 pm

mjcox2000 wrote:
Cathy-TJ wrote:
mjcox2000 wrote:Positive and negative charge carriers behave the same in almost all circuits. However, there are some circuits in which it actually makes a difference whether charge carriers are positive or negative. What is an example of a circuit in which this matters, and why does the distinction matter for this circuit?
N-gate and P-gate transistors? P gates allow flow when the signal is low (logic 0), while N-gates allow flow when the signal is high (logic 1).
Might be misinterpreting this question.
That’s not what I was going for.

Let me try rephrasing the question: Describe a circuit in which macro-level measurements of the circuit would differ depending on whether charge carriers are electrons flowing opposite conventional current or positive charge carriers flowing in the direction of conventional current.
A circuit that uses Hall effect, since changing the charge carrier would reverse the voltage produced.
Nationals Placings:
2019 Circuit Lab - 1
2018 Disease Detectives - 1
2015 Picture This - 6

2019 Events:
Chemistry Lab, Circuit Lab, Disease Detectives

Competitors today, teammates tomorrow

mjcox2000
Member
Member
Posts: 121
Joined: May 9th, 2014, 3:34 am
Division: Grad
State: VA
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Circuit Lab B/C

Post by mjcox2000 » February 27th, 2019, 12:33 pm

Cathy-TJ wrote:
mjcox2000 wrote:
Cathy-TJ wrote:
N-gate and P-gate transistors? P gates allow flow when the signal is low (logic 0), while N-gates allow flow when the signal is high (logic 1).
Might be misinterpreting this question.
That’s not what I was going for.

Let me try rephrasing the question: Describe a circuit in which macro-level measurements of the circuit would differ depending on whether charge carriers are electrons flowing opposite conventional current or positive charge carriers flowing in the direction of conventional current.
A circuit that uses Hall effect, since changing the charge carrier would reverse the voltage produced.
Right! Your turn.
MIT ‘23
TJHSST ‘19
Longfellow MS

See my user page for nationals medals and event supervising experience.

Cathy-TJ
Member
Member
Posts: 28
Joined: January 20th, 2019, 7:13 pm
Division: C
State: VA
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Circuit Lab B/C

Post by Cathy-TJ » March 1st, 2019, 3:12 pm

When and why would you use a Kelvin Double Bridge?
Nationals Placings:
2019 Circuit Lab - 1
2018 Disease Detectives - 1
2015 Picture This - 6

2019 Events:
Chemistry Lab, Circuit Lab, Disease Detectives

Competitors today, teammates tomorrow

User avatar
Things2do
Member
Member
Posts: 154
Joined: February 12th, 2018, 2:30 pm
Division: C
State: TN
Pronouns: He/Him/His
Location: Unfortunately, not the Desert Southwest
Has thanked: 27 times
Been thanked: 24 times

Re: Circuit Lab B/C

Post by Things2do » March 1st, 2019, 3:18 pm

To measure unknown resistors under 1 Ohm?
John 5:46-47
Eagle Scout
Builder Cult
 Backyard Botany, Can Racer, Name That Scientist,
CTW, Meteo., WV, Scrambler, Road S., Dy. Plan., Fast Facts, Rocks/Mine., Optics, MTV, Remote Sensing, ExpeD., Geo. Map., Fossils, Circuits., Thermo., Boomi., WS, Machines, GV
More here.Image

Cathy-TJ
Member
Member
Posts: 28
Joined: January 20th, 2019, 7:13 pm
Division: C
State: VA
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Circuit Lab B/C

Post by Cathy-TJ » March 1st, 2019, 8:29 pm

Things2do wrote:To measure unknown resistors under 1 Ohm?
That's right!
the resistance of the wires becomes significant
You have the next question!
Nationals Placings:
2019 Circuit Lab - 1
2018 Disease Detectives - 1
2015 Picture This - 6

2019 Events:
Chemistry Lab, Circuit Lab, Disease Detectives

Competitors today, teammates tomorrow

mjcox2000
Member
Member
Posts: 121
Joined: May 9th, 2014, 3:34 am
Division: Grad
State: VA
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Circuit Lab B/C

Post by mjcox2000 » March 13th, 2019, 8:17 am

Since no one has posted a question yet:

An LED with voltage drop and internal resistance is in series with a voltage and resistance . The LED’s maximum rated current is , and the minimum current at which its light is visible is .

1. What is the minimum series voltage for the LED to emit visible light?
2. Given the value of , write equations for the minimum and maximum value of for the LED to emit visible light without burning out.
MIT ‘23
TJHSST ‘19
Longfellow MS

See my user page for nationals medals and event supervising experience.

Post Reply

Return to “2019 Question Marathons”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest