Nano1llus10n
Division: C
State: TX
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Heredity B/Designer Genes C

Post by Nano1llus10n »

Welcome to a new season, let's start off with something relatively basic:

Name the 5 principles of the Hardy-Weinberg Equilibrium.
[b]Event:[/b] MIT/R/S/N
[b]Anatomy and Physiology:[/b] 8/3/2/26
[b]Helicopters:[/b] 11/-/2/43
[b]Microbe Mission:[/b] 13/2/2/8
[b]Event:[/b] R/S/N
[b]Anatomy and Physiology:[/b] 1/2/8
[b]Designer Genes:[/b] 1/2/4
[b]Protein Modeling:[/b] 1/3/2
[b]Wright Stuff:[/b] 2/2/9

Seven Lakes High School '21
starstudent

Re: Heredity B/Designer Genes C

Post by starstudent »

Nano1llus10n wrote:Welcome to a new season, let's start off with something relatively basic:

Hardy-Weinberg equilibrium states that in order to remain in equilibrium, the population must:
1. be fairly large.
2. have no immigration or emigration, because this may introduce new genes into the gene pool.
3. Must carry out random mating, because selective mating will favor a certain trait.
4. Must have no natural selection
5. No genetic mutations??

Hope I got that right...
UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: PA

Post by UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F »

starstudent wrote:
Nano1llus10n wrote:Welcome to a new season, let's start off with something relatively basic:

Hardy-Weinberg equilibrium states that in order to remain in equilibrium, the population must:
1. be fairly large.
2. have no immigration or emigration, because this may introduce new genes into the gene pool.
3. Must carry out random mating, because selective mating will favor a certain trait.
Hope I got that right...
Make sure to hide your answers in
 or [hide] or [spoiler] tags like this, so other people can read along! :)

[code][answer]42
[/code]

Code: Select all

[hide]The answer is|42.[/hide]

[spoiler]The answer is 42.[/spoiler]
(And yes, I think you got it right.)
Nano1llus10n
State: TX

Post by Nano1llus10n »

starstudent wrote:

1. be fairly large.

Hope I got that right...
That's right, your turn
[b]Event:[/b] MIT/R/S/N
[b]Anatomy and Physiology:[/b] 8/3/2/26
[b]Helicopters:[/b] 11/-/2/43
[b]Microbe Mission:[/b] 13/2/2/8
[b]Event:[/b] R/S/N
[b]Anatomy and Physiology:[/b] 1/2/8
[b]Designer Genes:[/b] 1/2/4
[b]Protein Modeling:[/b] 1/3/2
[b]Wright Stuff:[/b] 2/2/9

Seven Lakes High School '21
starstudent

Post by starstudent »

UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F wrote:
starstudent wrote:

1. be fairly large.
Hope I got that right...
Make sure to hide your answers in
 or [hide] or [spoiler] tags like this, so other people can read along! :)

[code][answer]42
[/code]

[hide]The answer is|42.[/hide]

[spoiler]The answer is 42.[/spoiler]
(And yes, I think you got it right.)
Thanks, will keep that in mind.

1. What is nondisjunction, and what are some possible consequences of this?
2. Describe the composition and structure of DNA.
3. What is the resulting phenotype ratio of a dihybrid cross?
jxxu20
State: NJ

Post by jxxu20 »

1. Nondisjunction occurs when pairs of homologous chromosomes or sister chromatids fail to split during meiosis, which causes the gametes produced to have more or less than the normal number of chromosomes (23 for gametes). Extra or missing chromosomes in offspring (chromosomal aneuploidy) causes disorders such as Down syndrome (trisomy 21) and Klinefelter syndrome (XXY syndrome), to name a few.

2. DNA is in a double helix structure, or two strands of DNA intertwined around each other. A strand of DNA is made of subunits known as nucleotides, which are made up of a nitrogenous base (adenine which pairs with thymine; guanine with cytosine), a pentose (five-carbon) sugar, and a phosphate group which is attached to the 3' and 5' carbons to the sugars above and below it. The nitrogenous bases are held together by hydrogen bonds and the two strands run antiparallel to each other (I hope this was enough).

3. I would need the genotypes of the parents to perform a dihybrid cross.
"Perhaps one did not want to be loved so much as to be understood." -- George Orwell, 1984

Events 2019: A&P, Heredity, Picture This, P&P
Events 2020: A&P, Astro, DG, Geo Mapping
platypusomelette
State: NY

Post by platypusomelette »

jxxu20 wrote:1. Nondisjunction occurs when pairs of homologous chromosomes or sister chromatids fail to split during meiosis, which causes the gametes produced to have more or less than the normal number of chromosomes (23 for gametes). Extra or missing chromosomes in offspring (chromosomal aneuploidy) causes disorders such as Down syndrome (trisomy 21) and Klinefelter syndrome (XXY syndrome), to name a few.

2. DNA is in a double helix structure, or two strands of DNA intertwined around each other. A strand of DNA is made of subunits known as nucleotides, which are made up of a nitrogenous base (adenine which pairs with thymine; guanine with cytosine), a pentose (five-carbon) sugar, and a phosphate group which is attached to the 3' and 5' carbons to the sugars above and below it. The nitrogenous bases are held together by hydrogen bonds and the two strands run antiparallel to each other (I hope this was enough).

I think he means the general ratio you need to remember for a dihybrid cross (ex. number:number:number:number)
island trash trees hs
anat: reg 4th
herp: reg 6th
genes: reg 5th
protein: reg 2nd
disease: reg 15th
fossils: reg 4th
2016: a&p 1st, fossils 3rd
2017: a&p 3rd, herp 14th
2018: a&p 1st, microbe 8th, herp 13th :/
pigeon YEA WE MADE STATES
UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: PA

Post by UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F »

platypusomelette wrote:
jxxu20 wrote:1. Nondisjunction occurs when pairs of homologous chromosomes or sister chromatids fail to split during meiosis, which causes the gametes produced to have more or less than the normal number of chromosomes (23 for gametes). Extra or missing chromosomes in offspring (chromosomal aneuploidy) causes disorders such as Down syndrome (trisomy 21) and Klinefelter syndrome (XXY syndrome), to name a few.

I think he means the general ratio you need to remember for a dihybrid cross (ex. number:number:number:number)
It's been a while, but I think you're meant to assume both parents are heterogenous in both traits here.

(P.S. is the answer 9:3:3:1?)
starstudent

Post by starstudent »

platypusomelette wrote:

It's "she." But yes, that's what I was looking for.
Your other answers look good!
UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F wrote:
platypusomelette wrote:

It's been a while, but I think you're meant to assume both parents are heterogenous in both traits here.

(P.S. is the answer 9:3:3:1?)
Yep, that's correct!
platypusomelette
State: NY

Post by platypusomelette »

1. Why is mitochondrial DNA maternally linked?
2. Label the parts of this operon: Image
(don't label the top part that just says "operon"
3. Describe the function of each part.
island trash trees hs
anat: reg 4th
herp: reg 6th
genes: reg 5th
protein: reg 2nd
disease: reg 15th
fossils: reg 4th
2016: a&p 1st, fossils 3rd
2017: a&p 3rd, herp 14th