Heredity B/Designer Genes C

jxxu20
Member
Member
Posts: 65
Joined: December 5th, 2017, 2:54 pm
Division: C
State: NJ
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Heredity B/Designer Genes C

Post by jxxu20 » November 23rd, 2018, 10:48 am

1. Klinefelter Syndrome
2. Turner Syndrome
3. Down Syndrome
"Perhaps one did not want to be loved so much as to be understood." -- George Orwell, 1984

Events 2019: A&P, Heredity, Picture This, P&P
Events 2020: A&P, Astro, DG, Geo Mapping

User avatar
Tailsfan101
Wiki Moderator
Wiki Moderator
Posts: 812
Joined: April 14th, 2017, 4:33 pm
Division: C
State: ID
Pronouns: He/Him/His
Location: Gem State
Has thanked: 119 times
Been thanked: 106 times
Contact:

Re: Heredity B/Designer Genes C

Post by Tailsfan101 » November 24th, 2018, 7:50 am

jxxu20 wrote:1. Klinefelter Syndrome
2. Turner Syndrome
3. Down Syndrome
Correct, your turn. Also, remember to use
 when you post your answers.
2016-2021 Treasure Valley Homeschool, 2020-2021 Div C Captain
2021 events: Disease Detectives, Designer Genes, Geologic Mapping, Write It Do It, Codebusters, Anatomy and Physiology

Assassinator for games 118: New Life and 136: A SciOly Pandemic
Selected Assassinators for games 121 and 148

jxxu20
Member
Member
Posts: 65
Joined: December 5th, 2017, 2:54 pm
Division: C
State: NJ
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Heredity B/Designer Genes C

Post by jxxu20 » November 26th, 2018, 4:10 pm

Whoops.

1. In poultry, the dominant allele B can result in black feathers. Its other allele, b, can produce white splashed feathers. The factors O and C are both required for any color at all in the feathers. Homozygous recessiveness at either locus results in white feathers. Two completely white birds mate and produce an F1 that is all black. What are the genotypes of the parents and the progeny?

2. How is pre-mRNA processed?

3. How does cytokinesis occur in plant cell mitosis, and how is this different from cytokinesis in animal cells?

4. What is the Shine-Dalgarno sequence and its function?
"Perhaps one did not want to be loved so much as to be understood." -- George Orwell, 1984

Events 2019: A&P, Heredity, Picture This, P&P
Events 2020: A&P, Astro, DG, Geo Mapping

User avatar
Tailsfan101
Wiki Moderator
Wiki Moderator
Posts: 812
Joined: April 14th, 2017, 4:33 pm
Division: C
State: ID
Pronouns: He/Him/His
Location: Gem State
Has thanked: 119 times
Been thanked: 106 times
Contact:

Re: Heredity B/Designer Genes C

Post by Tailsfan101 » December 19th, 2018, 4:24 pm

Since this seems to have died, I'll post some new questions.

For questions 1-10, list whether the disorder is:
a. autosomal dominant
b. autosomal recessive
c. X-linked dominant
d. X-linked recessive
e. Y-linked
f. nondisjunction

1. hairy ears
2. spina bifida
3. Beta thalassemia
4. Tay-Sachs Disease
5. Nonsyndromic deafness
6. Chronic simple glaucoma
7. ichthyosis simplex
8. Lesch-Nyhan Disease
9. Phenylketonuria
10. Fragile X Syndrome
2016-2021 Treasure Valley Homeschool, 2020-2021 Div C Captain
2021 events: Disease Detectives, Designer Genes, Geologic Mapping, Write It Do It, Codebusters, Anatomy and Physiology

Assassinator for games 118: New Life and 136: A SciOly Pandemic
Selected Assassinators for games 121 and 148

SonicSpeed
Member
Member
Posts: 15
Joined: September 5th, 2018, 5:35 pm
Division: B
State: PA
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Heredity B/Designer Genes C

Post by SonicSpeed » December 25th, 2018, 9:56 am

Tailsfan101 wrote:Since this seems to have died, I'll post some new questions.

For questions 1-10, list whether the disorder is:
a. autosomal dominant
b. autosomal recessive
c. X-linked dominant
d. X-linked recessive
e. Y-linked
f. nondisjunction

1. hairy ears
2. spina bifida
3. Beta thalassemia
4. Tay-Sachs Disease
5. Nonsyndromic deafness
6. Chronic simple glaucoma
7. ichthyosis simplex
8. Lesch-Nyhan Disease
9. Phenylketonuria
10. Fragile X Syndrome
1. e
2. Isn't it multifactorial?
3. b
4. b
5. a
6. a
7. c
8. d
9. b
10. d
SOnIcSpeed[*][/u][/i][/color]
Grade:6
Orefield MS
Total medals/ribbons-9
Road Scholar- 3
ELG-2
Game On!-3
Heredity-1
Years in SO-2018-2019
-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_
Invitationals: 3 Regionals: 1 States: 1

User avatar
Tailsfan101
Wiki Moderator
Wiki Moderator
Posts: 812
Joined: April 14th, 2017, 4:33 pm
Division: C
State: ID
Pronouns: He/Him/His
Location: Gem State
Has thanked: 119 times
Been thanked: 106 times
Contact:

Re: Heredity B/Designer Genes C

Post by Tailsfan101 » December 26th, 2018, 10:19 am

SonicSpeed wrote:
Tailsfan101 wrote:Since this seems to have died, I'll post some new questions.

For questions 1-10, list whether the disorder is:
a. autosomal dominant
b. autosomal recessive
c. X-linked dominant
d. X-linked recessive
e. Y-linked
f. nondisjunction

1. hairy ears
2. spina bifida
3. Beta thalassemia
4. Tay-Sachs Disease
5. Nonsyndromic deafness
6. Chronic simple glaucoma
7. ichthyosis simplex
8. Lesch-Nyhan Disease
9. Phenylketonuria
10. Fragile X Syndrome
1. e
2. Isn't it multifactorial?
3. b
4. b
5. a
6. a
7. c
8. d
9. b
10. d
Oh, whoops, I forgot to put multifactorial on there! All correct, your turn.
2016-2021 Treasure Valley Homeschool, 2020-2021 Div C Captain
2021 events: Disease Detectives, Designer Genes, Geologic Mapping, Write It Do It, Codebusters, Anatomy and Physiology

Assassinator for games 118: New Life and 136: A SciOly Pandemic
Selected Assassinators for games 121 and 148

User avatar
platypusomelette
Member
Member
Posts: 79
Joined: May 7th, 2017, 2:41 pm
Division: C
State: NY
Location: biology
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Heredity B/Designer Genes C

Post by platypusomelette » December 27th, 2018, 5:58 pm

jxxu20 wrote:Whoops.

1. In poultry, the dominant allele B can result in black feathers. Its other allele, b, can produce white splashed feathers. The factors O and C are both required for any color at all in the feathers. Homozygous recessiveness at either locus results in white feathers. Two completely white birds mate and produce an F1 that is all black. What are the genotypes of the parents and the progeny?

2. How is pre-mRNA processed?

3. How does cytokinesis occur in plant cell mitosis, and how is this different from cytokinesis in animal cells?

4. What is the Shine-Dalgarno sequence and its function?
1. No idea
2. Immediately after transcription is terminated, a poly-A tail is added to the 3' end and a modified guanine cap is added to the 5' end. Complexes called spliceosomes (made of snRNPs, which are complexes of protein and small nuclear RNA) recognize and splice intron sites, leaving behind only exons, which are later expressed as protein.
3. The cell is split by the growth of a cell plate, which is assembled by vesicles from the golgi body, and cytokinesis in animal cells is carried out by an actin filament ring that pinches the cell in half. I don't know the details of this so if you have a full answer pls tell lol
4. I'm not sure about this one either I think it's the sequence that the ribosome initially sticks to in the beginning of translation in prokaryotes?
island trash trees hs
anat: reg 4th
herp: reg 6th
genes: reg 5th
protein: reg 2nd
disease: reg 15th
fossils: reg 4th
2016: a&p 1st, fossils 3rd
2017: a&p 3rd, herp 14th
2018: a&p 1st, microbe 8th, herp 13th :/
pigeon YEA WE MADE STATES

User avatar
platypusomelette
Member
Member
Posts: 79
Joined: May 7th, 2017, 2:41 pm
Division: C
State: NY
Location: biology
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Heredity B/Designer Genes C

Post by platypusomelette » December 27th, 2018, 6:06 pm

1. What is the difference between a transversion and a transition?
2. Explain how RFLPs can be used to identify an individual.
3. What kinds of nucleotides are used in sanger sequencing?
4. What is the purpose of eukaryotic control elements?
5. Name some examples of prezygotic and postzygotic barriers.
island trash trees hs
anat: reg 4th
herp: reg 6th
genes: reg 5th
protein: reg 2nd
disease: reg 15th
fossils: reg 4th
2016: a&p 1st, fossils 3rd
2017: a&p 3rd, herp 14th
2018: a&p 1st, microbe 8th, herp 13th :/
pigeon YEA WE MADE STATES

jxxu20
Member
Member
Posts: 65
Joined: December 5th, 2017, 2:54 pm
Division: C
State: NJ
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Heredity B/Designer Genes C

Post by jxxu20 » December 28th, 2018, 11:43 am

@platypusomelette Good job!

1: The factors O and C are epistatic genes (they cause the bird to be white), and the parents are both completely white. However, their children (progeny) all have black feathers. Hence, both parents must have a BB genotype for the color gene. Going back to the epistatic gene, homozygous recessiveness for either will result in white coloration, which is present in the parents. However, since the children are colored we know that the parents have a homozygous recessive genotype for one epistatic gene (either O or C), and they must be homozygous dominant at the other locus (since the children are all colored). This must mean that the genotypes of the parents are BBOOcc and BBooCC. Their children will have a genotype of BBOoCc.

3. That's what I have in my notes -- sorry xD

4. Yup! It's usually located somewhere 8-10 bases upstream of the start codon AUG and helps recruit the ribosome for translation.
"Perhaps one did not want to be loved so much as to be understood." -- George Orwell, 1984

Events 2019: A&P, Heredity, Picture This, P&P
Events 2020: A&P, Astro, DG, Geo Mapping

User avatar
platypusomelette
Member
Member
Posts: 79
Joined: May 7th, 2017, 2:41 pm
Division: C
State: NY
Location: biology
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Heredity B/Designer Genes C

Post by platypusomelette » January 5th, 2019, 6:08 pm

Bumpo
island trash trees hs
anat: reg 4th
herp: reg 6th
genes: reg 5th
protein: reg 2nd
disease: reg 15th
fossils: reg 4th
2016: a&p 1st, fossils 3rd
2017: a&p 3rd, herp 14th
2018: a&p 1st, microbe 8th, herp 13th :/
pigeon YEA WE MADE STATES

Post Reply

Return to “2019 Question Marathons”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest