Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: C
State: MO
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Re: Experimental Design B/C

Post by dxu46 »

naddruf wrote:For the following experiment:
You mix syrup with water in various concentrations and put 1/4 teaspoon on a napkin. You measure the linear distance the wet stain spreads in 30 seconds from the point of origin to the farthest edge.

1. What type of graph would be best for the data?
2. What are the x and y axes?
3. What type of regression is best?
4. What are the errors in this experiment?

(This is the 1st time I've ever asked a question on here. I don't know if it's good :D )
1. Line (because the IV is numbers not qualities)
2. X axis is the different concentrations of the water, Y axis is the axis which shows how far the water spread
3. Linear
4. I'm going to only describe one error: It's unlikely that you'd drop the syrup mixture on the napkin in a perfect circle, so there could be discrepancies in the measurement of an oval-like stain (do we measure the long side or the short side?). Because there is no way to control this, this error could be best described as a random error. Because there would be discrepancies in the measurement, some measurements could be high and some could be low, depending on which side of the oval that is measured.
naddruf
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by naddruf »

dxu46 wrote:
You mix syrup with water in various concentrations and put 1/4 teaspoon on a napkin. You measure the linear distance the wet stain spreads in 30 seconds from the point of origin to the farthest edge.

(This is the 1st time I've ever asked a question on here. I don't know if it's good :D )
2. X axis is the different concentrations of the water, Y axis is the axis which shows how far the water spread
3. Linear
4. I'm going to only describe one error: It's unlikely that you'd drop the syrup mixture on the napkin in a perfect circle, so there could be discrepancies in the measurement of an oval-like stain (do we measure the long side or the short side?). Because there is no way to control this, this error could be best described as a random error. Because there would be discrepancies in the measurement, some measurements could be high and some could be low, depending on which side of the oval that is measured.
I was thinking the distance of water spreading might be proportional to the square root of the concentration? Because the water has to spread out over two dimensions? I'm probably wrong.
dxu46
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by dxu46 »

naddruf wrote:
dxu46 wrote:

3. Linear
I was thinking the distance of water spreading might be proportional to the square root of the concentration? Because the water has to spread out over two dimensions? I'm probably wrong.
I thought about that too, but my thought was that you only measure one side ("You measure the linear distance the wet stain spreads in 30 seconds from the point of origin to the farthest edge"). Anyways, if it wasn't linear then it'd probably be measuring the area of the stain, which isn't what you originally said.
naddruf

Post by naddruf »

dxu46 wrote:
naddruf wrote:
dxu46 wrote:
3. Linear
I thought about that too, but my thought was that you only measure one side ("You measure the linear distance the wet stain spreads in 30 seconds from the point of origin to the farthest edge"). Anyways, if it wasn't linear then it'd probably be measuring the area of the stain, which isn't what you originally said.
I was just thinking that concentration varies inversely to distance from the center (because you divide the total amount by the circumference of the circle). So if the tendency to spread of the liquid was multiplied by 4, the radius would only get twice as big before the concentration in the outer circle was equal. This would mean it would diffuse at the same rate from here.
dxu46
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by dxu46 »

naddruf wrote:
dxu46 wrote:
naddruf wrote: I was thinking the distance of water spreading might be proportional to the square root of the concentration? Because the water has to spread out over two dimensions? I'm probably wrong.
I was just thinking that concentration varies inversely to distance from the center (because you divide the total amount by the circumference of the circle). So if the tendency to spread of the liquid was multiplied by 4, the radius would only get twice as big before the concentration in the outer circle was equal. This would mean it would diffuse at the same rate from here.
TL;DR but makes sense anyways.
Your turn!
Here
State: NY
Pronouns: She/Her/Hers

Post by Here »

Revival: List 3 types of errors and an example for each.
johns hopkins '25
dxu46
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by dxu46 »

Here wrote:Revival: List 3 types of errors and an example for each.
1. Random - random errors are errors that randomly occur, are to no fault of the experimenter, and can't really be eliminated. An example is human measurement, like reaction time when hitting a timer.
2. Systematic - systematic errors are errors that are caused because of a certain factor that can be eliminated, with a clear difference in the results. An example is (with a car + ramp experiment) a bumpy floor that causes the car to go off course.
3. Mess-up/human - human errors are errors that are completely because of the experimenter. An example is accidentally doing incorrect measurements or setting up the experiment incorrectly
Here
State: NY
Pronouns: She/Her/Hers

Post by Here »

dxu46 wrote:
Here wrote:Revival: List 3 types of errors and an example for each.
1. Random - random errors are errors that randomly occur, are to no fault of the experimenter, and can't really be eliminated. An example is human measurement, like reaction time when hitting a timer.
2. Systematic - systematic errors are errors that are caused because of a certain factor that can be eliminated, with a clear difference in the results. An example is (with a car + ramp experiment) a bumpy floor that causes the car to go off course.
3. Mess-up/human - human errors are errors that are completely because of the experimenter. An example is accidentally doing incorrect measurements or setting up the experiment incorrectly
Looks good, your turn!
johns hopkins '25
dxu46
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by dxu46 »

Sorry for being really late (I forgot about question marathons lol)

Design an experiment on the topic of memory given blank notecards, different types of markers, a stopwatch, a ruler, apples, oranges, and plums. Write a statement of problem (even though it's not required this year), a hypothesis, and the procedure.
kaurs
Division: B
State: MI

Post by kaurs »

What is standard deviation?

Return to “2019 Question Marathons”