Dynamic Planet B/C

Post Reply
User avatar
Things2do
Member
Member
Posts: 154
Joined: February 12th, 2018, 2:30 pm
Division: Grad
State: TN
Pronouns: He/Him/His
Has thanked: 87 times
Been thanked: 51 times

Re: Dynamic Planet B/C

Post by Things2do » November 17th, 2018, 8:26 am

What is the name of the current epoch?
John 5:46-47
Eagle Scout
Builder Cult
 Backyard Botany, Can Racer, Name That Scientist,
CTW, Meteo., WV, Scrambler, Road S., Dy. Plan., Fast Facts, Rocks/Mine., Optics, MTV, Remote Sensing, ExpeD., Geo. Map., Fossils, Circuits., Thermo., Boomi., WS, Machines, GV
More here.Image

linzhiyan
Member
Member
Posts: 66
Joined: April 26th, 2018, 6:56 pm
Division: C
State: MO
Has thanked: 3 times
Been thanked: 1 time

Re: Dynamic Planet B/C

Post by linzhiyan » November 17th, 2018, 9:39 am

Holocene?
Don't procrastinate
Don't procrastinate
Don't procrastinate
重要事情说三次

User avatar
Things2do
Member
Member
Posts: 154
Joined: February 12th, 2018, 2:30 pm
Division: Grad
State: TN
Pronouns: He/Him/His
Has thanked: 87 times
Been thanked: 51 times

Re: Dynamic Planet B/C

Post by Things2do » November 17th, 2018, 4:36 pm

linzhiyan wrote:
Holocene?
Sounds right...
John 5:46-47
Eagle Scout
Builder Cult
 Backyard Botany, Can Racer, Name That Scientist,
CTW, Meteo., WV, Scrambler, Road S., Dy. Plan., Fast Facts, Rocks/Mine., Optics, MTV, Remote Sensing, ExpeD., Geo. Map., Fossils, Circuits., Thermo., Boomi., WS, Machines, GV
More here.Image

User avatar
Umaroth
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Posts: 337
Joined: February 10th, 2018, 8:51 pm
Division: C
State: CA
Pronouns: He/Him/His
Has thanked: 113 times
Been thanked: 229 times

Re: Dynamic Planet B/C

Post by Umaroth » December 18th, 2018, 10:13 pm

I will revive this topic since this is pretty much my favorite event :D

Which other ice sheet covered parts of North America during the Pleistocene Epoch alongside the Laurentide? Where did the two merge?
Troy SciOly 2021 Co-Captain
Proud Padre of the Evola SciOly Program 2018-now
Dank Memes Area Homeschool Juggernaut 2018-now
Sierra Vista SciOly Co-Head Coach 2020-now
2021 Tryouts: Circuit, Code, Detector, DP, GeoMaps, Machines

The team may be gone, but the program lives on...
Umaroth's Userpage

cacodemon
Member
Member
Posts: 5
Joined: April 11th, 2018, 6:43 pm
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Dynamic Planet B/C

Post by cacodemon » December 19th, 2018, 4:58 pm

Cordilleran merged with Laurentide at continental divide
In 2002, a volume of roughly 7.15 x 10^5 km^3 rapidly disintegrated from the Larsen B sector of the Larsen Ice Shelf.
By how much did sea level rise due to this event only? The density of ice is 917 kg/m^3 and density of water is 997 kg/m^3.

sciencegirl03
Member
Member
Posts: 50
Joined: December 26th, 2017, 6:41 pm
Division: C
State: MI
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Dynamic Planet B/C

Post by sciencegirl03 » December 25th, 2018, 9:17 am

cacodemon wrote:
Cordilleran merged with Laurentide at continental divide
In 2002, a volume of roughly 7.15 x 10^5 km^3 rapidly disintegrated from the Larsen B sector of the Larsen Ice Shelf.
By how much did sea level rise due to this event only? The density of ice is 917 kg/m^3 and density of water is 997 kg/m^3.
Isn't this more of a Fermi Question :lol: ?? Haha anyway...:
1.827 meters...basically I used d=m/v to find out the mass of the ice since we had its volume and density, and then using that mass, I found out the volume of water that would take up. Then, I set that volume equal to the surface area of Earth's oceans x a variable for height, to solve for the height that volume would take up if spread over all of Earth's oceans.


Hope i got it right!
Next question:
What is a grounding line, and how does it relate to ice shelves?
"Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts." - Winston Churchill

2019 Nationals:
Wright Stuff: 3rd
Protein Modeling: 4th
Geologic Mapping: 5th

User avatar
SciolyHarsh
Member
Member
Posts: 37
Joined: May 20th, 2018, 5:44 pm
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Dynamic Planet B/C

Post by SciolyHarsh » December 28th, 2018, 3:54 pm

The grounding line is the point at which the ice shelf starts to float on the water. This is only for tidewater glaciers iirc. Hopefully my answer is correct.
Question: Suppose a large area of continent consists of 30 km of Earth’s crust with a density of 2.6 Mg/m³ over 90 km of material with a density of 3.0 Mg/m³. The asthenosphere density is 3.3 Mg/m³. This region is covered with a 1.5 km thickness of ice of density 0.9 Mg/m³ and is assumed to be in isostatic equilibrium. If the ice melts, how much will the surface of the continent change once isostatic equilibrium is re-established? Answer in kilometers.
2017-2018 Events: Chemistry Lab, Dynamic Planet, Microbe Mission, Experimental Design, Rocks and Minerals

2018-2019 Events: Dynamic Planet, Astronomy, Sounds of Music, Circuit Lab, Geologic Mapping

sciencegirl03
Member
Member
Posts: 50
Joined: December 26th, 2017, 6:41 pm
Division: C
State: MI
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Dynamic Planet B/C

Post by sciencegirl03 » December 29th, 2018, 8:41 am

SciolyHarsh wrote:The grounding line is the point at which the ice shelf starts to float on the water. This is only for tidewater glaciers iirc. Hopefully my answer is correct.
Question: Suppose a large area of continent consists of 30 km of Earth’s crust with a density of 2.6 Mg/m³ over 90 km of material with a density of 3.0 Mg/m³. The asthenosphere density is 3.3 Mg/m³. This region is covered with a 1.5 km thickness of ice of density 0.9 Mg/m³ and is assumed to be in isostatic equilibrium. If the ice melts, how much will the surface of the continent change once isostatic equilibrium is re-established? Answer in kilometers.
That's right!
"Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts." - Winston Churchill

2019 Nationals:
Wright Stuff: 3rd
Protein Modeling: 4th
Geologic Mapping: 5th

cacodemon
Member
Member
Posts: 5
Joined: April 11th, 2018, 6:43 pm
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Dynamic Planet B/C

Post by cacodemon » December 29th, 2018, 12:57 pm

Nope, somewhat of a trick question.
Sea level would not change. An ice shelf is floating on water by buoyancy -- sea level rise is proportional to volume of water displaced. So when the ice shelf melts, there is no change in sea level because the water displaced by the ice shelf is filled by the volume of water that ice shelf represents. Sea level changes when ice on land melts and either runs off or sheds directly into the ocean as icebergs.

UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Posts: 1594
Joined: January 18th, 2015, 7:42 am
Division: C
State: PA
Has thanked: 6 times
Been thanked: 9 times

Re: Dynamic Planet B/C

Post by UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F » December 29th, 2018, 2:38 pm

SciolyHarsh wrote:Question: Suppose a large area of continent consists of 30 km of Earth’s crust with a density of 2.6 Mg/m³ over 90 km of material with a density of 3.0 Mg/m³. The asthenosphere density is 3.3 Mg/m³. This region is covered with a 1.5 km thickness of ice of density 0.9 Mg/m³ and is assumed to be in isostatic equilibrium. If the ice melts, how much will the surface of the continent change once isostatic equilibrium is re-established? Answer in kilometers.
cacodemon wrote:Nope, somewhat of a trick question.
Sea level would not change. An ice shelf is floating on water by buoyancy -- sea level rise is proportional to volume of water displaced. So when the ice shelf melts, there is no change in sea level because the water displaced by the ice shelf is filled by the volume of water that ice shelf represents. Sea level changes when ice on land melts and either runs off or sheds directly into the ocean as icebergs.
But it is asking about the surface of the continent, not sea level: the glacier is not in the ocean.
0.41 km?

Post Reply

Return to “2019 Question Marathons”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest