Disease Detectives B/C

Birdmusic
Division: C
State: CA
Pronouns: She/Her/Hers

Re: Disease Detectives B/C

Post by Birdmusic »

Write a confirmed case definition for someone with measles.
I like birds.
Birdmusic

Post by Birdmusic »

Since no one has posted in around 2 weeks...

What type of study was John Snow's cholera study? Also, why is John Snow important?
I like birds.
Froggie
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by Froggie »

Birdmusic wrote:Since no one has posted in around 2 weeks...

What type of study was John Snow's cholera study? Also, why is John Snow important?
1. Case control? 2. He is considered the father of field epidemiology and the first person to use a spot map in an epidemiological study.
"A lot of people have quotes in their signature. Maybe I should have a quote in my signature. "
- Froggie
Birdmusic

Post by Birdmusic »

Froggie wrote:

1. Case control? 2. He is considered the father of field epidemiology and the first person to use a spot map in an epidemiological study.
For part 1, Wikipedia has a different answer, but if someone could find a concrete source that would be good.
2 is correct!
I like birds.
Froggie
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by Froggie »

Birdmusic wrote:
Froggie wrote:

For part 1, Wikipedia has a different answer, but if someone could find a concrete source that would be good.
2 is correct!
I just assumed case control because I assumed he was comparing people with an without disease to find a common exposure (in this case, a water pump).
"A lot of people have quotes in their signature. Maybe I should have a quote in my signature. "
- Froggie
Birdmusic

Post by Birdmusic »

Froggie wrote:
Birdmusic wrote:
Froggie wrote: 1. Case control? 2. He is considered the father of field epidemiology and the first person to use a spot map in an epidemiological study.
2 is correct!
I just assumed case control because I assumed he was comparing people with an without disease to find a common exposure (in this case, a water pump).
Wikipedia said it’s the first ecological study, but I don’t really understand ecological studies myself and no website has given a good view of the difference between ecological and case control because they’re really similar sometimes (ie in this case).
I like birds.
huppada
State: FL
Been thanked: 0

Post by huppada »

Birdmusic wrote:
Froggie wrote:
Birdmusic wrote:
2 is correct!
Wikipedia said it’s the first ecological study, but I don’t really understand ecological studies myself and no website has given a good view of the difference between ecological and case control because they’re really similar sometimes (ie in this case).
I think that ecological studies are case control studies for a larger population defined using geographical data. In the case of the cholera outbreak, John Snow used a spot map to figure out the common source. I feel like ecological studies are a broader term with case control studies being subset of it.
Orlando Science Schools '20
2020 Events: Disease Detectives, Forensics, Protein Modeling
Birdmusic

Post by Birdmusic »

huppada wrote:
Birdmusic wrote:
Froggie wrote: I just assumed case control because I assumed he was comparing people with an without disease to find a common exposure (in this case, a water pump).
I think that ecological studies are case control studies for a larger population defined using geographical data. In the case of the cholera outbreak, John Snow used a spot map to figure out the common source. I feel like ecological studies are a broader term with case control studies being subset of it.
That sounds about right, so Froggie was correct! :D
I like birds.
huppada
State: FL
Been thanked: 0

Post by huppada »

Birdmusic wrote:
huppada wrote:
Birdmusic wrote: Wikipedia said it’s the first ecological study, but I don’t really understand ecological studies myself and no website has given a good view of the difference between ecological and case control because they’re really similar sometimes (ie in this case).
That sounds about right, so Froggie was correct! :D
Oh wow, I completely forgot this was the question marathon forum :lol:
Orlando Science Schools '20
2020 Events: Disease Detectives, Forensics, Protein Modeling
Froggie
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by Froggie »

I guess I should post a question?

1. What are the steps to public health surveillance?
2. What are the five types of prevention?
3. What do these acronyms stand for?
a. FDA
b. YPLL
c. NNPHI
d. NAPHSIS
- Froggie

Return to “2019 Question Marathons”