Disease Detectives B/C

Killboe
State: AR
Has thanked: 0

Disease Detectives B/C

Post by Killboe »

Welcome to the 2019 Disease Detectives Question Marathon!

Question : What is natality?
UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: C
State: PA

Re: Disease Detectives B/C

Post by UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F »

Killboe wrote:Welcome to the 2019 Disease Detectives Question Marathon!

(Epidemiological) rate of live births
Killboe
State: AR

Post by Killboe »

UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F wrote:
Killboe wrote:Welcome to the 2019 Disease Detectives Question Marathon!

(Epidemiological) rate of live births
Correct, your turn.
UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Okay, I don't really have a question in mind, so this one's going to be a little lame.

Differentiate between an outbreak, a cluster, an epidemic, and a pandemic. Also mention what epizootics and panzootics are.
Knyte_Xjn
State: TX
Been thanked: 0

Post by Knyte_Xjn »

UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F wrote:Okay, I don't really have a question in mind, so this one's going to be a little lame.

Differentiate between an outbreak, a cluster, an epidemic, and a pandemic. Also mention what epizootics and panzootics are.
An outbreak is a sudden increase in cases of a disease in a specified area and time frame, whereas a cluster is a group of cases in a specified area and time frame regardless of the number of cases. An epidemic is a large aggregation of cases across a large geographical area affecting a high number of people, whereas a pandemic is an aggregation of cases that occurs across multiple countries or continents, affecting a large proportion of the population. Epizootics are diseases that are temporarily prevalent and widespread in an animal population, whereas panzootics are epizootics that spread across a large region, often spanning multiple countries or continents. Epizootics are the animal equivalent of epidemics, and panzootics are the animal equivalent of pandemics.
R. I. P. 01/20/2019
UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Knyte_Xjn wrote:
UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F wrote:Okay, I don't really have a question in mind, so this one's going to be a little lame.

An outbreak is a sudden increase in cases of a disease in a specified area and time frame, whereas a cluster is a group of cases in a specified area and time frame regardless of the number of cases. An epidemic is a large aggregation of cases across a large geographical area affecting a high number of people, whereas a pandemic is an aggregation of cases that occurs across multiple countries or continents, affecting a large proportion of the population. Epizootics are diseases that are temporarily prevalent and widespread in an animal population, whereas panzootics are epizootics that spread across a large region, often spanning multiple countries or continents. Epizootics are the animal equivalent of epidemics, and panzootics are the animal equivalent of pandemics.
Yep, although I think you meant regardless of if the number of cases is above the normal amount for clusters.
Knyte_Xjn

Post by Knyte_Xjn »

Knyte_Xjn wrote:

Yep, although I think you meant regardless of if the number of cases is above the normal amount for clusters.
Define what detection limit and comparison value are in regard to environmental quality and provide examples of both.
R. I. P. 01/20/2019
UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Knyte_Xjn wrote:
Knyte_Xjn wrote:
Define what detection limit and comparison value are in regard to environmental quality and provide examples of both.
Psst! There's been a major update to the rules, and apparently, there's no topic for Disease Detectives this year (I don't know if you got yoru rules packets/looked at the rules yet).
Detection limit is the lowest amount of something that can be differentiated from the absence of something with reasonable confidence, e.g. a machine takes a certain minimum of low level ozone to sense that it is present. A comparison value is a baseline masurement to tell how high or low something is, e.g. Philadelphia might look polluted in comparison to a farm in Kansas but very cleaned in comparison to a city in, say, Bangladesh.
Knyte_Xjn

Post by Knyte_Xjn »

Knyte_Xjn wrote:
UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F wrote: Yep, although I think you meant regardless of if the number of cases is above the normal amount for clusters.
Psst! There's been a major update to the rules, and apparently, there's no topic for Disease Detectives this year (I don't know if you got yoru rules packets/looked at the rules yet).
Detection limit is the lowest amount of something that can be differentiated from the absence of something with reasonable confidence, e.g. a machine takes a certain minimum of low level ozone to sense that it is present. A comparison value is a baseline masurement to tell how high or low something is, e.g. Philadelphia might look polluted in comparison to a farm in Kansas but very cleaned in comparison to a city in, say, Bangladesh.
Yeah, I know about the update to the rules.
Your definition of detection limit is correct, but a comparison value is a calculated concentration of a substance in air, water, food, or soil that is unlikely to cause harmful health effects in exposed people. Your turn.
R. I. P. 01/20/2019
UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

All right. What are the four types of prevention? Give examples.

Return to “2019 Question Marathons”