Disease Detectives B/C

Froggie
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Posts: 302
Joined: June 19th, 2017, 2:12 pm
Division: B
State: PA
Location: See above.
Has thanked: 7 times
Been thanked: 13 times

Re: Disease Detectives B/C

Post by Froggie » April 16th, 2019, 6:30 pm

UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F wrote:
Froggie wrote:An epidemiologist studying an outbreak of E Coli finds out that the more hamburgers someone ate, the more the person was at risk for contracting E Coli. Why is this information important?
This would suggest that hamburgers caused the E. coli outbreak (dose-response relationship), but more inquiry would be required to conclude anything.
Correct!
"A lot of people have quotes in their signature. Maybe I should have a quote in my signature. "
- Froggie

UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Posts: 1564
Joined: January 18th, 2015, 7:42 am
Division: C
State: PA
Has thanked: 3 times
Been thanked: 5 times

Re: Disease Detectives B/C

Post by UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F » April 16th, 2019, 7:01 pm

Classify the following as prokaryote, eukaryote, or neither: Fungi, protozoans, flatworms, bacteria, viruses, and prions.

wec01
Member
Member
Posts: 220
Joined: February 22nd, 2019, 4:02 pm
Division: Grad
State: VA
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Disease Detectives B/C

Post by wec01 » April 16th, 2019, 7:05 pm

UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F wrote:Classify the following as prokaryote, eukaryote, or neither: Fungi, protozoans, flatworms, bacteria, viruses, and prions.
Fungi: eukaryote
Protozoans: prokaryote
Flatworms: eukaryote
Bacteria: prokaryote
Viruses: neither
Prions: neither
2019 Division C Nationals Medals:
4th place Fossils
5th place Sounds of Music
2nd place Thermodynamics

UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Posts: 1564
Joined: January 18th, 2015, 7:42 am
Division: C
State: PA
Has thanked: 3 times
Been thanked: 5 times

Re: Disease Detectives B/C

Post by UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F » April 16th, 2019, 7:46 pm

wec01 wrote:
UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F wrote:Classify the following as prokaryote, eukaryote, or neither: Fungi, protozoans, flatworms, bacteria, viruses, and prions.
Fungi: eukaryote
Protozoans: prokaryote
Flatworms: eukaryote
Bacteria: prokaryote
Viruses: neither
Prions: neither
Protozoans are eukaryotes.
Your turn!

wec01
Member
Member
Posts: 220
Joined: February 22nd, 2019, 4:02 pm
Division: Grad
State: VA
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Disease Detectives B/C

Post by wec01 » April 16th, 2019, 7:57 pm

Describe the differences between an outbreak, epidemic, and pandemic.
2019 Division C Nationals Medals:
4th place Fossils
5th place Sounds of Music
2nd place Thermodynamics

Froggie
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Posts: 302
Joined: June 19th, 2017, 2:12 pm
Division: B
State: PA
Location: See above.
Has thanked: 7 times
Been thanked: 13 times

Re: Disease Detectives B/C

Post by Froggie » April 17th, 2019, 3:26 am

wec01 wrote:Describe the differences between an outbreak, epidemic, and pandemic.
Outbreaks have more cases than expected in a particular place (size does not matter) and time. Epidemics have a large number of people affected over a large area (usually a couple of countries), while pandemics are larger, possibly multiple continents.
"A lot of people have quotes in their signature. Maybe I should have a quote in my signature. "
- Froggie

wec01
Member
Member
Posts: 220
Joined: February 22nd, 2019, 4:02 pm
Division: Grad
State: VA
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Disease Detectives B/C

Post by wec01 » April 17th, 2019, 7:42 am

Froggie wrote:
wec01 wrote:Describe the differences between an outbreak, epidemic, and pandemic.
Outbreaks have more cases than expected in a particular place (size does not matter) and time. Epidemics have a large number of people affected over a large area (usually a couple of countries), while pandemics are larger, possibly multiple continents.
Yep, your turn
2019 Division C Nationals Medals:
4th place Fossils
5th place Sounds of Music
2nd place Thermodynamics

Froggie
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Posts: 302
Joined: June 19th, 2017, 2:12 pm
Division: B
State: PA
Location: See above.
Has thanked: 7 times
Been thanked: 13 times

Re: Disease Detectives B/C

Post by Froggie » April 19th, 2019, 3:28 am

Give three reasons why it is important to establish an outbreak before conducting a study about a particular disease.
"A lot of people have quotes in their signature. Maybe I should have a quote in my signature. "
- Froggie

UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Posts: 1564
Joined: January 18th, 2015, 7:42 am
Division: C
State: PA
Has thanked: 3 times
Been thanked: 5 times

Re: Disease Detectives B/C

Post by UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F » April 22nd, 2019, 7:38 pm

Froggie wrote:Give three reasons why it is important to establish an outbreak before conducting a study about a particular disease.
1) There may be no real threat from the disease, wasting resources.
2) If there is no outbreak, the mode of transmission may also be misinterpreted.
3) It is more difficult to conduct a study about a disease if there are few people suffering from it.

Post Reply

Return to “2019 Question Marathons”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests