Anatomy and Physiology B/C

donutsandcupcakes

Re: Anatomy and Physiology B/C

Post by donutsandcupcakes »

Anomaly wrote:
donutsandcupcakes wrote:I am guessing it is my turn...

1. What is the flow of lymph?
2. Right Lymphatic duct empties into the ___________?
3. How long do red blood cells live?
4. What are the functions of the excretory system?
hmm lets try this...
1. Interstitial fluid -> lymph -> lymph capillary -> afferent lymph vessel -> lymph node -> efferent lymph vessel -> lymph truck -> lymph duct (right lymphatic duct or thoracic duct) -> subclavian vein -> blood -> interstitial fluid
2. Right subclavian vein?
3. ~120 days (about 4 months)
4. Excretes toxins and nitrogenous waste, regulates levels of many chemicals in blood, maintains water balance, and helps regulate blood pressure
oof prob all wrong but whatever man
To me, they look right. Your turn
platypusomelette
Division: C
State: NY
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by platypusomelette »

1. What is the purpose of the chordae tendineae / papillary muscles in the heart?
2. What is the purpose of the bachmann's bundle?
3. What is the name of the elastic tissue layer found in conducting and distributing / large and medium arteries? Which of them have a more visible layer?
4. Explain the differences between the three types of capillaries.
5. Describe the steps to blood clot formation after the initial internal or external mechanism is complete, or once it gets to factor X.
6. Two main lymphatic ducts collect lymph from each side of the body. What are they and what side do they cover?
island trash trees hs
anat: reg 4th
herp: reg 6th
genes: reg 5th
protein: reg 2nd
disease: reg 15th
fossils: reg 4th
2016: a&p 1st, fossils 3rd
2017: a&p 3rd, herp 14th
2018: a&p 1st, microbe 8th, herp 13th :/
pigeon YEA WE MADE STATES
jxxu20
State: NJ

Post by jxxu20 »

[hide]1. The chordae tendineae (which are attached to the papillary muscle) anchor the AV valves in place while the heart is pumping

2. Bachmann's bundle conducts impulses generated by the SA node to the left atrium.

3. The adventitia (tunica externa) of arteries contains elastic tissue/elastin and is more visible in larger arteries. It could be the internal + external laminae too (if I'm not mistaken), so I'm not sure about this question.

4. Continuous capillaries have an uninterrupted endothelial lining with small intracellular clefts; fenestrated capillaries have pores in their endothelial cells; sinusoidal capillaries have pores similar to those of fenestrated capillaries as well as a discontinuous basement membrane.

5. Once factor X has been activated, prothrombinase converts factor II, the inactive enzyme prothrombin, into the active enzyme thrombin. Thrombin will convert factor I (insoluble fibrinogen) into soluble fibrin protein strands; then, factor XIII will stabilize the blood clot.

6. The thoracic duct drains the entire left side of the body as well as the lower right quadrant; the right lymphatic duct drains the upper right quadrant of the body.[/hide]

Edit: I can't seem to use the hide function on my computer. Tips? Thanks.
Last edited by jxxu20 on December 29th, 2018, 8:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Perhaps one did not want to be loved so much as to be understood." -- George Orwell, 1984

Events 2019: A&P, Heredity, Picture This, P&P
Events 2020: A&P, Astro, DG, Geo Mapping
Anomaly
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: PA
Pronouns: She/Her/Hers

Post by Anomaly »

jxxu20 wrote:
1. The chordae tendineae (which are attached to the papillary muscle) anchor the AV valves in place while the heart is pumping

2. Bachmann's bundle conducts impulses generated by the SA node to the left atrium.

3. The adventitia (tunica externa) of arteries contains elastic tissue/elastin and is more visible in arteries.  It could be the internal + external laminae too (if I'm not mistaken), so I'm not sure about this question.

4. Continuous capillaries have an uninterrupted endothelial lining with small intracellular clefts; fenestrated capillaries have pores in their endothelial cells; sinusoidal capillaries have pores similar to those of fenestrated capillaries as well as a discontinuous basement membrane.

5. Once factor X has been activated, prothrombinase converts factor II, the inactive enzyme prothrombin, into the active enzyme thrombin.  Thrombin will convert factor I (insoluble fibrinogen) into soluble fibrin protein strands; then, factor XIII will stabilize the blood clot. 

6. The thoracic duct drains the entire left side of the body as well as the lower right quadrant; the right lymphatic duct drains the upper right quadrant of the body.
you forgot to do this

Code: Select all

[hide]Answer|1. The chordae tendineae (which are attached to the papillary muscle) anchor the AV valves in place while the heart is pumping

3. The adventitia (tunica externa) of arteries contains elastic tissue/elastin and is more visible in arteries.  It could be the internal + external laminae too (if I'm not mistaken), so I'm not sure about this question.

5. Once factor X has been activated, prothrombinase converts factor II, the inactive enzyme prothrombin, into the active enzyme thrombin.  Thrombin will convert factor I (insoluble fibrinogen) into soluble fibrin protein strands; then, factor XIII will stabilize the blood clot. 

6. The thoracic duct drains the entire left side of the body as well as the lower right quadrant; the right lymphatic duct drains the upper right quadrant of the body.[/hide]

Edit: I can't seem to use the hide function on my computer.  Tips?  Thanks.
Orefield MS SO 2015-2018, Parkland HS SO 2019-2020
Medal/Ribbon Count
Invitational: 25
Regional: 16
State: 7
y o i n k s
Events: Anatomy and Physiology, Codebusters, Designer Genes, Protein Modeling
don't look at this its fake news now
isotelus
Division: Grad
State: TX

Post by isotelus »

jxxu20 wrote:[hide]1. The chordae tendineae (which are attached to the papillary muscle) anchor the AV valves in place while the heart is pumping

3. The adventitia (tunica externa) of arteries contains elastic tissue/elastin and is more visible in larger arteries. It could be the internal + external laminae too (if I'm not mistaken), so I'm not sure about this question.

5. Once factor X has been activated, prothrombinase converts factor II, the inactive enzyme prothrombin, into the active enzyme thrombin. Thrombin will convert factor I (insoluble fibrinogen) into soluble fibrin protein strands; then, factor XIII will stabilize the blood clot.

I think you forgot the bar to show whatever comes in the hide box before being clicked. So if I wanted to hide something, I would put a "Answer: | (your answer)" in the hides. The bar is shift+backslash (above the enter key).
SLHS '23
platypusomelette

jxxu20 wrote:[hide]1. The chordae tendineae (which are attached to the papillary muscle) anchor the AV valves in place while the heart is pumping

Yup looks correct, and you're right about internal / external lamina. Your turn
island trash trees hs
platypusomelette

Bumpo
island trash trees hs
amk578
State: IN

Post by amk578 »

I guess I'll ask questions, if that's okay.

1. What are the organs of the excretory system?
2. List three things that leads to a decreased affinity for O2 (think oxygen dissociation curve).
3. What is the largest lymphatic organ?
4. What are the lymphatic capillaries in the small intestine? What do they absorb?
5. What is the pH of blood? How about urine?
6. List three differences between arteries and veins.
2018 - Anatomy, Crime Busters, & Road
2019 - Anatomy, Disease, Heredity, & Road
2020 - Anatomy, DGenes, Disease, Forensics, Ping Pong Parachute, & Protein Modeling
2021 - Anatomy, Chem Lab, DGenes, Disease, Machines, & Protein Modeling
platypusomelette

amk578 wrote:I guess I'll ask questions, if that's okay.

2. List three things that leads to a decreased affinity for O2 (think oxygen dissociation curve).
4. What are the lymphatic capillaries in the small intestine? What do they absorb?
1. Kidney, ureters? bladder, urethra?
2. High CO2 concentration, acidic environment, and 2,3-BPG
3. Spleen
4. Lacteals inside every villus, absorb fats
5. 7.4? and idk urine
6. Arteries have a thicker tunica media, smaller lumen, and veins appear flat under a microscope
island trash trees hs
amk578
State: IN

Post by amk578 »

platypusomelette wrote:
amk578 wrote:I guess I'll ask questions, if that's okay.

1. Kidney, ureters? bladder, urethra?
2. High CO2 concentration, acidic environment, and 2,3-BPG
3. Spleen
4. Lacteals inside every villus, absorb fats
5. 7.4? and idk urine
6. Arteries have a thicker tunica media, smaller lumen, and veins appear flat under a microscope
1. Not really, I was looking for the excretory system as a whole. As in: the lungs, the urinary system, the liver, and the skin. 2. Correct
3. Correct
4. Correct
5. 7.4 is correct, and the pH of urine is about 6 6. Correct

Your turn
2018 - Anatomy, Crime Busters, & Road
2019 - Anatomy, Disease, Heredity, & Road
2020 - Anatomy, DGenes, Disease, Forensics, Ping Pong Parachute, & Protein Modeling
2021 - Anatomy, Chem Lab, DGenes, Disease, Machines, & Protein Modeling

Return to “2019 Question Marathons”