Astronomy C

SciolyHarsh
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Astronomy C

Post by SciolyHarsh »

Did you really need the apparent magnitude and redshift? or am I doing this wrong? yeah i meant to derive it lol but I added the hubble constant for some reason. Anyway, using the Hubble constant you got it right. Your turn
2017-2018 Events: Chemistry Lab, Dynamic Planet, Microbe Mission, Experimental Design, Rocks and Minerals

2018-2019 Events: Dynamic Planet, Astronomy, Sounds of Music, Circuit Lab, Geologic Mapping
pb5754
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: C
State: NJ
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by pb5754 »

Sorry I completely forgot about this :oops:
A planet with mass 2.4*10^23 kg orbits a star of mass 2.7 solar masses at a radius of 10 AU with velocity 100 m/s. Find the semimajor axis.
West Windsor-Plainsboro High School South '21
2021 Nationals: Astronomy - 1st, Geologic Mapping - 1st, Team - 6th
SciolyHarsh

Post by SciolyHarsh »

I wasn't sure how exactly to solve this, but I did my best.
Here are my steps: 1. I converted the mass of the planet to solar masses, but it's so small that it's nearly negligible. That said, for the problem's sake, I used it in the calculations.
2. Next, I used the radius of the star to solve for the circumference of the planet. I found it to be 20pi AU.
3. I then converted the velocity from m/s to AU/year, and I solved for the orbital period by finding out how long it would take to orbit the star completely once using the given velocity which I converted to AU/year.
4. I used the orbital period and the masses of both the planet and the star to solve for the semi-major axis using Kepler's Third Law.
My answer for the semi-major axis was 288.394 AU. If I'm wrong, could you post the steps to solve this?
2017-2018 Events: Chemistry Lab, Dynamic Planet, Microbe Mission, Experimental Design, Rocks and Minerals

2018-2019 Events: Dynamic Planet, Astronomy, Sounds of Music, Circuit Lab, Geologic Mapping
pb5754
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by pb5754 »

SciolyHarsh wrote:I wasn't sure how exactly to solve this, but I did my best.
Here are my steps: 1. I converted the mass of the planet to solar masses, but it's so small that it's nearly negligible. That said, for the problem's sake, I used it in the calculations.
2. Next, I used the radius of the star to solve for the circumference of the planet. I found it to be 20pi AU.
3. I then converted the velocity from m/s to AU/year, and I solved for the orbital period by finding out how long it would take to orbit the star completely once using the given velocity which I converted to AU/year.
4. I used the orbital period and the masses of both the planet and the star to solve for the semi-major axis using Kepler's Third Law.
My answer for the semi-major axis was 288.394 AU. If I'm wrong, could you post the steps to solve this?
This is how I would do it...
Use the vis-viva equation (which can be obtained by applying the principle of conservation of mechanical energy): v = sqrt(GM((2/r)-(1/a))), where v = orbital velocity (m/s), M = mass of the star (central body) (kg), r = radius (m), a = semimajor axis (m)
At this point, you can manipulate this equation to obtain the formula a = (GMr)/(2GM-(v^2)r)
Now plugging the values (and remembering to convert to the proper units) in you get a = 5.00 AU.
SciolyHarsh

Post by SciolyHarsh »

Ah! I didn't know about that equation. Thank you for that. I'm not sure what to do now that I've gotten it wrong though

pb5754
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by pb5754 »

SciolyHarsh wrote:Ah! I didn't know about that equation. Thank you for that. I'm not sure what to do now that I've gotten it wrong though
You can post the next question :)
SciolyHarsh

Post by SciolyHarsh »

Alright, so:

The luminosity of Galaxy A is 2.692x10^27 watts. Galaxy A has an apparent magnitude of 6.89.
Galaxy B contains Cepheid variable stars with a period of 0.04252 years. Galaxy B has an apparent magnitude of 4.37.

Calculate the ratio of the distance to Galaxy A to the distance to Galaxy B.

PM2017
Division: Grad
State: CA

Post by PM2017 »

SciolyHarsh wrote:Alright, so:

The luminosity of Galaxy A is 2.692x10^27 watts. Galaxy A has an apparent magnitude of 6.89.
Galaxy B contains Cepheid variable stars with a period of 0.04252 years. Galaxy B has an apparent magnitude of 4.37.

Calculate the ratio of the distance to Galaxy A to the distance to Galaxy B.
Not a solution to this problem you posed, but wow that's a really dim galaxy lol. (like 10-12 orders of magnitude dimmer than most spiral galaxies.)
West High '19
UC Berkeley '23

Go Bears!
SciolyHarsh

Post by SciolyHarsh »

I just went with a random number that would be kinda smooth for plugging in. I just realized that its only a couple times brighter than the Sun.

ET2020
State: NY

Post by ET2020 »

Galaxy A: 2.692*10^27 W = 7.03 solar luminosities
M = 4.83-2.5log(L) = 2.71
d = 10^([m-M+5]/5) = [b]68.48 pc[/b] (this is an impossibly close galaxy, but you can still do the math with it)

Galaxy B: P (days) = 365.25*0.04252 = 15.53 days
M = -2.81logP - 1.43 = -4.78
Now this is the tricky part . . . you don't state how many stars are in Galaxy B, so I don't know how to solve from here, since the luminosity of the galaxy would be the sum of all the stars in it, and also many of these stars would likely not even be Cepheids. I'll try to solve the problem assuming the galaxy is a single Cepheid with a period of 15 days
d = 10^([m-M+5]/5) = [b]675.2 pc[/b]

68.48/675.2 = ~ [b]0.10[/b]
Did I do it right?
Fayetteville Manlius High School
2020 Events: Astronomy, Code, Dynamic, PPP

Return to “2019 Question Marathons”