Sounds Of Music C

smayya337
Division: Grad
State: VA
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Re: Sounds Of Music C

Post by smayya337 »

I took way too long to post a question, so here's one.
I don't know how long my clarinet is and I'm too lazy to get it from the band room. If its lowest note is equally-tempered D3, how long should I expect it to be?
TJHSST '22 | UVA '26
smayya337's Userpage
wec01
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by wec01 »

smayya337 wrote:I took way too long to post a question, so here's one.
I don't know how long my clarinet is and I'm too lazy to get it from the band room. If its lowest note is equally-tempered D3, how long should I expect it to be?
Assuming the speed of sound is about 343 m/s:
Since a clarinet has a node at one end and antinode at the other, the length would be approximately c/4f or, in this case:
[b]58.4 cm[/b]
2019 Division C Nationals Medals:
4th place Fossils
5th place Sounds of Music
2nd place Thermodynamics
smayya337
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by smayya337 »

wec01 wrote:
smayya337 wrote:I took way too long to post a question, so here's one.
Assuming the speed of sound is about 343 m/s:
Since a clarinet has a node at one end and antinode at the other, the length would be approximately c/4f or, in this case:
[b]58.4 cm[/b]
That was fast... Almost like you were next to me when I wrote this problem lol
Math checks out, your turn!
TJHSST '22 | UVA '26
smayya337's Userpage
wec01

Post by wec01 »

You have purchased a slide whistle that is 30 cm from the lip to the slide when it is pulled all the way out.
1. What frequency does it play in this position?
2. How far should you move the slide up in order to play A4?
3. Approximately what frequency would the whistle play if the slide is removed? (use 30 cm as the length)
4th place Fossils
2nd place Thermodynamics
mjcox2000

Post by mjcox2000 »

wec01 wrote:You have purchased a slide whistle that is 30 cm from the lip to the slide when it is pulled all the way out.
3. Approximately what frequency would the whistle play if the slide is removed? (use 30 cm as the length)
These answers assume 3 sig figs on the 30cm length, since it’s usually easy to measure lengths on this scale to 3 sig figs. 
1. The tube is open at one end and closed at the other, so wavelength is 4 times length. [math]\frac{343\, m/s}{4\cdot 30\, cm}=\boxed{286\, Hz}[/math]
2. The wavelength of A4 is 78.0 cm, so the tube length is [math]\frac{78.0\ cm}{4}=19.5\, cm[/math], so the slide must be moved up [math]\boxed{10.5\, cm}[/math]
3. Now the tube is open at both ends, making wavelength 2 times length. [math]\frac{343\, m/s}{2\cdot 30\, cm}=\boxed{572\, Hz}[/math]
MIT ‘23
TJHSST ‘19
Longfellow MS

See my user page for nationals medals and event supervising experience.
wec01

Post by wec01 »

mjcox2000 wrote:
wec01 wrote:You have purchased a slide whistle that is 30 cm from the lip to the slide when it is pulled all the way out.
These answers assume 3 sig figs on the 30cm length, since it’s usually easy to measure lengths on this scale to 3 sig figs. 
1. The tube is open at one end and closed at the other, so wavelength is 4 times length. [math]\frac{343\, m/s}{4\cdot 30\, cm}=\boxed{286\, Hz}[/math]
2. The wavelength of A4 is 78.0 cm, so the tube length is [math]\frac{78.0\ cm}{4}=19.5\, cm[/math], so the slide must be moved up [math]\boxed{10.5\, cm}[/math]
3. Now the tube is open at both ends, making wavelength 2 times length. [math]\frac{343\, m/s}{2\cdot 30\, cm}=\boxed{572\, Hz}[/math]
That's true, I probably should've specified more sig figs
Everything looks good, your turn
4th place Fossils
2nd place Thermodynamics
mjcox2000

Post by mjcox2000 »

Anna hears a buzzing sound when she plays a low C on her marimba, but not when she plays other notes. What are some things she should check to figure out what’s causing the buzzing sound?
MIT ‘23
TJHSST ‘19
Longfellow MS

wec01

Post by wec01 »

mjcox2000 wrote:Anna hears a buzzing sound when she plays a low C on her marimba, but not when she plays other notes. What are some things she should check to figure out what’s causing the buzzing sound?
The key could be touching a support and vibrating against it or the chord going through the keys could be too lose (although I think that would affect other keys as well so it's more likely the first issue).
4th place Fossils
2nd place Thermodynamics
mjcox2000

Post by mjcox2000 »

wec01 wrote:
mjcox2000 wrote:Anna hears a buzzing sound when she plays a low C on her marimba, but not when she plays other notes. What are some things she should check to figure out what’s causing the buzzing sound?
The key could be touching a support and vibrating against it or the chord going through the keys could be too lose (although I think that would affect other keys as well so it's more likely the first issue).
Having the bar touch a support could certainly be the reason it’s buzzing. (Usually this would be because a rubber spacer on the support fell off). On the other hand, the cord being too small won’t cause it to buzz, since the cord is soft and has plenty of give to it.
Anna checks her marimba for the things you mentioned and discovers that they’re not the problem. What should she check next?
MIT ‘23
TJHSST ‘19
Longfellow MS

wec01

Post by wec01 »

mjcox2000 wrote:
wec01 wrote:
Having the bar touch a support could certainly be the reason it’s buzzing. (Usually this would be because a rubber spacer on the support fell off). On the other hand, the cord being too small won’t cause it to buzz, since the cord is soft and has plenty of give to it.
Anna checks her marimba for the things you mentioned and discovers that they’re not the problem. What should she check next?
an issue with the resonators, so she could check to see if the buzzing is still heard when the resonator is blocked.
4th place Fossils
2nd place Thermodynamics

Return to “2019 Question Marathons”