Crime Busters B

Benewcomb
Member
Member
Posts: 38
Joined: October 28th, 2017, 5:16 am
Division: B
State: IN
Location: Hauser Jr Sr High School
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Crime Busters B

Post by Benewcomb » September 7th, 2018, 9:31 am

Welcome to the 2019 Season! Time to get started!

First question! (Please don’t use the hide bbc its not iPad friendly)
What plastics floats in corn oil?
It’s gonna be me!

User avatar
Galahad
Member
Member
Posts: 260
Joined: January 22nd, 2018, 11:28 pm
Division: C
State: HI
Location: Somewhere in the Pacific Ocean
Has thanked: 2 times
Been thanked: 0

Re: Crime Busters B

Post by Galahad » November 7th, 2018, 10:40 am

I’m pretty sure only PP floats in standard corn oil.
RIP 2020 szn, shortlived but not forgotten

Highlands Intermediate School '16-'19
Pearl City High School '19-??

Proud DMAH Member

https://scioly.org/wiki/index.php/User:Galahad

Benewcomb
Member
Member
Posts: 38
Joined: October 28th, 2017, 5:16 am
Division: B
State: IN
Location: Hauser Jr Sr High School
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Crime Busters B

Post by Benewcomb » December 10th, 2018, 12:51 pm

Correct.
Crap I’m really late
It’s gonna be me!

amk578
Member
Member
Posts: 133
Joined: December 5th, 2018, 5:21 pm
Division: C
State: IN
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Crime Busters B

Post by amk578 » January 7th, 2019, 3:15 pm

I guess I'll resurrect this question marathon,

Hydrogen peroxide and water are very similar, how do you tell them apart?
2018 - Anatomy, Crime Busters, & Road Scholar
2019 - Anatomy, Disease Detectives, Heredity, & Road Scholar
2020 - Anatomy, Designer Genes, Disease Detectives, Forensics, Ping Pong Parachute, & Protein Modeling

User avatar
jimmy-bond
Member
Member
Posts: 387
Joined: January 8th, 2018, 11:25 pm
Division: C
State: HI
Location: In my room until 4/30
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 1 time

Re: Crime Busters B

Post by jimmy-bond » January 7th, 2019, 4:55 pm

amk578 wrote:I guess I'll resurrect this question marathon,

Hydrogen peroxide and water are very similar, how do you tell them apart?
You shake them a lot and H2O2 bubbles while water doesn't (assuming they're in some sort of separated containers).

This is because water and H2O2 are both colorless, have a near-neutral pH, and are odorless.

Also, you can objectively drink both, but for competition's sake, the first way is probably the easiest.
If life gives you melons, you're dyslexic.

Why can't dinosaurs ski? Because they're dead.

Merry Chrysler.
Code Busters(16), DD(40), FQ(39), Forensics(36), WQ(27)
CriB(26), DP (11), FF(1), MM(14), P&P(6)
CriB(36), DD(35), FF(2), MM(20)

amk578
Member
Member
Posts: 133
Joined: December 5th, 2018, 5:21 pm
Division: C
State: IN
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Crime Busters B

Post by amk578 » January 7th, 2019, 5:37 pm

jimmy-bond wrote:
amk578 wrote:I guess I'll resurrect this question marathon,

Hydrogen peroxide and water are very similar, how do you tell them apart?
You shake them a lot and H2O2 bubbles while water doesn't (assuming they're in some sort of separated containers).

This is because water and H2O2 are both colorless, have a near-neutral pH, and are odorless.

Also, you can objectively drink both, but for competition's sake, the first way is probably the easiest.
I'm gonna assume you're correct about shaking water and h2o2. But the way I know is you put each liquid in a well, place iodine in each well and stir, then a minute passes and h2o2 *should* bubble while water would be inert besides the color change.

Your turn!
2018 - Anatomy, Crime Busters, & Road Scholar
2019 - Anatomy, Disease Detectives, Heredity, & Road Scholar
2020 - Anatomy, Designer Genes, Disease Detectives, Forensics, Ping Pong Parachute, & Protein Modeling

User avatar
Galahad
Member
Member
Posts: 260
Joined: January 22nd, 2018, 11:28 pm
Division: C
State: HI
Location: Somewhere in the Pacific Ocean
Has thanked: 2 times
Been thanked: 0

Re: Crime Busters B

Post by Galahad » January 7th, 2019, 5:46 pm

amk578 wrote:
jimmy-bond wrote:
amk578 wrote:I guess I'll resurrect this question marathon,

Hydrogen peroxide and water are very similar, how do you tell them apart?
You shake them a lot and H2O2 bubbles while water doesn't (assuming they're in some sort of separated containers).

This is because water and H2O2 are both colorless, have a near-neutral pH, and are odorless.

Also, you can objectively drink both, but for competition's sake, the first way is probably the easiest.
I'm gonna assume you're correct about shaking water and h2o2. But the way I know is you put each liquid in a well, place iodine in each well and stir, then a minute passes and h2o2 *should* bubble while water would be inert besides the color change.

Your turn!
Shaking them is the go-to way to identifying them, so I can confirm jimmy-bond's statement
RIP 2020 szn, shortlived but not forgotten

Highlands Intermediate School '16-'19
Pearl City High School '19-??

Proud DMAH Member

https://scioly.org/wiki/index.php/User:Galahad

User avatar
jimmy-bond
Member
Member
Posts: 387
Joined: January 8th, 2018, 11:25 pm
Division: C
State: HI
Location: In my room until 4/30
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 1 time

Re: Crime Busters B

Post by jimmy-bond » January 7th, 2019, 6:24 pm

1. What is the pH of ascorbic acid?

2. A plastic is burned and the flame is green. What is the chemical formula of the plastic?

3. What type of fingerprint has no deltas?
If life gives you melons, you're dyslexic.

Why can't dinosaurs ski? Because they're dead.

Merry Chrysler.
Code Busters(16), DD(40), FQ(39), Forensics(36), WQ(27)
CriB(26), DP (11), FF(1), MM(14), P&P(6)
CriB(36), DD(35), FF(2), MM(20)

amk578
Member
Member
Posts: 133
Joined: December 5th, 2018, 5:21 pm
Division: C
State: IN
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Crime Busters B

Post by amk578 » January 8th, 2019, 5:11 pm

jimmy-bond wrote:1. What is the pH of ascorbic acid?

2. A plastic is burned and the flame is green. What is the chemical formula of the plastic?

3. What type of fingerprint has no deltas?
1. 2

2. I think it's PVC so (C2H3Cl)n

3. I believe arches don't have deltas
2018 - Anatomy, Crime Busters, & Road Scholar
2019 - Anatomy, Disease Detectives, Heredity, & Road Scholar
2020 - Anatomy, Designer Genes, Disease Detectives, Forensics, Ping Pong Parachute, & Protein Modeling

User avatar
jimmy-bond
Member
Member
Posts: 387
Joined: January 8th, 2018, 11:25 pm
Division: C
State: HI
Location: In my room until 4/30
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 1 time

Re: Crime Busters B

Post by jimmy-bond » January 8th, 2019, 8:59 pm

amk578 wrote:1. 2

2. I think it's PVC so (C2H3Cl)n

3. I believe arches don't have deltas
All good. Your turn.
If life gives you melons, you're dyslexic.

Why can't dinosaurs ski? Because they're dead.

Merry Chrysler.
Code Busters(16), DD(40), FQ(39), Forensics(36), WQ(27)
CriB(26), DP (11), FF(1), MM(14), P&P(6)
CriB(36), DD(35), FF(2), MM(20)

Post Reply

Return to “2019 Question Marathons”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest