Division: Grad
State: FL
Has thanked: 0

Re: Water Quality B/C

Post by will926ok3645 »

kate! wrote:
will926ok3645 wrote:
[img]http://entnemdept.ufl.edu/creatures/misc/eastern_dobsonfly05.jpg[/img]
1. What is the common name of this species?
2. Is the organism above male or female. How can you tell? 
3. Do adult males or adult females live longer?
4. How does light pollution impact this organism?
1. Dobsonfly
2. Male, longer antennae and generally bigger
3. Females
4. Dobsonflies are strongly attracted to light *insert moth meme lol* so light pollution could disrupt their activities
Just a thought, could we steer clear of having 4 questions only about ID? This is not an ID event, there is a whole other part of it, plus there are many division B competitors here that don't have or need extra information about the organisms, so this doesn't benefit them.
The answers look good.
And I don't see why not. I had just finalized the info for the dobsonfly on my cheat sheet, so I wasn't really thinking about the other sections at the moment. My bad!
Boca Raton '19 UF '23
UF Science Olympiad President
[email protected]
AgriBio Author
blueflannel27
Division: C
State: TX
Been thanked: 0

Post by blueflannel27 »

kate! wrote: Just a thought, could we steer clear of having 4 questions only about ID? This is not an ID event, there is a whole other part of it, plus there are many division B competitors here that don't have or need extra information about the organisms, so this doesn't benefit them.
I see where you're coming from, but I don't really think it's a big deal. I agree that Water Quality isn't an ID event and shouldn't be treated as such. However, as long as the questions benefit at least some competitors, then there shouldn't be anything wrong with it.
kate!
State: NY

Post by kate! »

blueflannel27 wrote:
kate! wrote: Just a thought, could we steer clear of having 4 questions only about ID? This is not an ID event, there is a whole other part of it, plus there are many division B competitors here that don't have or need extra information about the organisms, so this doesn't benefit them.
I see where you're coming from, but I don't really think it's a big deal. I agree that Water Quality isn't an ID event and shouldn't be treated as such. However, as long as the questions benefit at least some competitors, then there shouldn't be anything wrong with it.
Yes, but asking maybe one out of four questions about ID and the other three about the topics that are the majority of the event would be more helpful because any competitor could answer them.
8th grade: I knew stuff about rocks, minerals, experiments, and ecosystems!
9th grade: I knew stuff about amphibians, reptiles, freshwater, and experiments!
10th grade: I knew stuff about oceanography, saltwater, birds, and fossils!
11th grade: I knew stuff about birds and fossils!
will926ok3645
State: FL

Post by will926ok3645 »

kate! wrote:
blueflannel27 wrote:
Yes, but asking maybe one out of four questions about ID and the other three about the topics that are the majority of the event would be more helpful because any competitor could answer them.
I think we need a balance of both. If one set of questions is just ID based, then that's that and would help the Division C competitors more than just the identification of organisms required for Division B. However, to Kate's point, the last two questions were solely ID questions, and there should be some diversity of question sets, unless we want a separate forum for the ID section and ecology/monitoring and analysis section (which is silly in my opinion).
Boca Raton '19 UF '23
UF Science Olympiad President
[email protected]
AgriBio Author
kate!

Post by kate! »

1. Identify this specimen and explain its role as an indicator species.
[img]https://warehouse1.indicia.org.uk/upload/o_1belpv8f1q2l1jnlskpbqbecm8.jpg[/img]
2. Describe the quaternary treatment stage in wastewater treatment.
3. Which of the 9 water quality tests are weighted highest and why?
9th grade: I knew stuff about amphibians, reptiles, freshwater, and experiments!
jimmy-bond
State: OH
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by jimmy-bond »

kate! wrote:
[img]https://warehouse1.indicia.org.uk/upload/o_1belpv8f1q2l1jnlskpbqbecm8.jpg[/img]
1. Predaceous diving beetle, indicates good quality
2. Non-existant?
3. Dissolved oxygen because everything needs it to survive. No DO, no life.
PCHS, HI '21 | CWRU, OH '25
Code(16), DD(40), FQ(39),4&6(36), WQ(27)
CriB(26), DP (11), FF(1), MM(14), P&P(6)
CriB(36), DD(35), FF(2), MM(20)
kate!

Post by kate! »

jimmy-bond wrote:
kate! wrote:
1. Predaceous diving beetle, indicates good quality
2. Non-existant?
3. Dissolved oxygen because everything needs it to survive. No DO, no life.
1 is actually just the regular diving beetle, 2 and 3 are correct.
jimmy-bond

Post by jimmy-bond »

kate! wrote:1 is actually just the regular diving beetle, 2 and 3 are correct.
Hold up... we can get tested on that?
1. [img]https://c8.alamy.com/comp/AED28W/dry-eggs-of-the-asian-tiger-mosquito-aedes-albopictus-spain-AED28W.jpg[/img]What is the diet for females of the species this egg belongs to?
2. If a body of water has a salinity of 20ppt, what type of salt content is it? (ex mesohaline, hypersaline, euhaline, etc)(sorry for the garbage wording)
3. Describe the limnetic zone.
blueflannel27
State: TX
Been thanked: 0

Post by blueflannel27 »

jimmy-bond wrote:
kate! wrote:1 is actually just the regular diving beetle, 2 and 3 are correct.
Hold up... we can get tested on that?
1. [img]https://c8.alamy.com/comp/AED28W/dry-eggs-of-the-asian-tiger-mosquito-aedes-albopictus-spain-AED28W.jpg[/img]What is the diet for females of the species this egg belongs to?
2. If a body of water has a salinity of 20ppt, what type of salt content is it? (ex mesohaline, hypersaline, euhaline, etc)(sorry for the garbage wording)
3. Describe the limnetic zone.
1. In addition to feeding on nectar and other sweet plant juices, the females of this species (Asian Tiger Mosquito) require blood in their diet. They typically only bite during the day and are known to bite more than once.
2. 20ppt = 2% concentration -> subsaline
3. The limnetic zone is the open water area (away from the shore) that is well-lit. The producers in this zone are planktonic algae, the primary consumers are zooplankton, and the secondary consumers are small fish and insects. Very little light can pass through this zone into the next zone.
jimmy-bond

Post by jimmy-bond »

blueflannel27 wrote:
1. In addition to feeding on nectar and other sweet plant juices, the females of this species (Asian Tiger Mosquito) require blood in their diet. They typically only bite during the day and are known to bite more than once.
2. 20ppt = 2% concentration -> subsaline
3. The limnetic zone is the open water area (away from the shore) that is well-lit. The producers in this zone are planktonic algae, the primary consumers are zooplankton, and the secondary consumers are small fish and insects. Very little light can pass through this zone into the next zone.
For 2, I was thinking polyhaline but yours works as well. Everything else is good.

Your turn.

Return to “2019 Question Marathons”