Post by Jacobi »

Dinoswarleafs wrote:
Jacobi wrote:
Volume of Object = 12.0 mL
Density = m/V = 8.7 g/mL = 8700 kg/m^3
Cool. Sorry about that :/

Give an element for n-type doping w/ Silicon
Arsenic?
Usually, the person who answered correctly asks the next question.
Dinoswarleafs
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Chemistry Lab C

Post by Dinoswarleafs »

Jacobi wrote: Usually, the person who answered correctly asks the next question.
Oops sorry. Havent done this before D:
Jacobi
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by Jacobi »

What is the pH of a mixture of molar ammonium with molar ammonia in aqueous sol'n? Ammonium has a of 9.20.
Dinoswarleafs

Post by Dinoswarleafs »

Jacobi wrote:What is the pH of a mixture of molar ammonium with molar ammonia in aqueous sol'n? Ammonium has a of 9.20.
[img]https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/294282012146139147/506294811070824468/20181028_213345.jpg[/img]
You made me realize on the UT inv yesterday I put the formula for ammonia as a base instead of ammonium dissociating. I was one off from placing. AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
Jacobi
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by Jacobi »

Dinoswarleafs wrote:
Jacobi wrote:What is the pH of a mixture of molar ammonium with molar ammonia in aqueous sol'n? Ammonium has a of 9.20.
[img]https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/294282012146139147/506294811070824468/20181028_213345.jpg[/img]
You made me realize on the UT inv yesterday I put the formula for ammonia as a base instead of ammonium dissociating. I was one off from placing. AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
The image didn't load for me.
greenmilktea
Division: C
State: NJ

Post by greenmilktea »

A solution of a diprotic acid is standardized by titration with 0.20M NaOH. Calculate the molarity of the acidic solution if 30.24mL of the NaOH solution is required to completely neutralize 14.25mL of the acid solution.
Jacobi
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by Jacobi »

greenmilktea wrote:
A solution of a diprotic acid is standardized by titration with 0.20M NaOH. Calculate the molarity of the acidic solution if 30.24mL of the NaOH solution is required to completely neutralize 14.25mL of the acid solution.
.212M
List two laws (i.e. Maxwell's Laws, Lorentz Law) involving magnetism and explain what they imply.
whythelongface
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: Grad
State: NJ

Post by whythelongface »

I guess I will bump with a question.
Which of the hydrohalic acids are the strongest? Justify your answer.
WEST WINDSOR-PLAINSBORO HIGH SCHOOL SOUTH '18
EMORY UNIVERSITY '22
SONT 2017 5th Place Medalist [Microbe Mission]

"One little Sciolyer left all alone,
He went out and hanged himself and then there were none."

Congratulations to WW-P South/Grover for winning 2nd/1st place at NJ States!
primitivepolonium
State: CA

Post by primitivepolonium »

whythelongface wrote:I guess I will bump with a question.
No one's answered, so I'll go--HI.

Rule of strengths: ARIO (atom holding the charge, resonance, inductive effects, orbital), in that order. Usually you only get to A with mineral acids, since the proton is often attached to different Hs.

Since F, Cl, Br, I are all in the same family, electronegativity is not the main factor. What matters is bond dissociation energy. The H-I bond is easier to break, so deprotonation is easier.

Also--the strength of an acid depends on the stability of its conjugate base. I- is the most stable since it's the largest. They all have a -1 charge. I- is the largest, so the negative charge is distributed over a larger space and leads to greater stability.
My turn: HCl and HBr have the same acid strength in water, but they are clearly not the same strength. (They have different pKas). Why is this the case?
Div D! I really like chem, oceanography, and nail polish--not in that order.

Troy HS, co2016.

Feel free to PM me about SciOly or college or whatever! I really enjoy making online friends.
jaah5211
State: FL
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by jaah5211 »

primitive_polonium wrote:
whythelongface wrote:I guess I will bump with a question.
No one's answered, so I'll go--HI.

Rule of strengths: ARIO (atom holding the charge, resonance, inductive effects, orbital), in that order. Usually you only get to A with mineral acids, since the proton is often attached to different Hs.

Since F, Cl, Br, I are all in the same family, electronegativity is not the main factor. What matters is bond dissociation energy. The H-I bond is easier to break, so deprotonation is easier.

Also--the strength of an acid depends on the stability of its conjugate base. I- is the most stable since it's the largest. They all have a -1 charge. I- is the largest, so the negative charge is distributed over a larger space and leads to greater stability.
My turn: HCl and HBr have the same acid strength in water, but they are clearly not the same strength. (They have different pKas). Why is this the case?
This is due to the leveling effect. In water, all the acid's strengths are leveled to H3O+, and since both completely dissociates, their strengths are leveled to that of hydronium ion. To see the difference in strength, one can use different solvent such as ammonia

Return to “2019 Question Marathons”