Solar System B

AwersomeUser
Member
Member
Posts: 117
Joined: December 8th, 2018, 5:20 am
Division: B
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Solar System

Post by AwersomeUser » March 9th, 2019, 8:43 am

isotelus wrote:
1. Haumea and it's satellites, Hi'aka and Namaka
2. d
3. did not clear it's orbit
1. :)
2. :)
3. Correct but I would probably add put that several similar size objects in the Kuiper belt, such as Eris which is 27% more massive than Pluto were discovered. This led the IAU to define the term "planet" formally in 2006. The new definition excluded Pluto and reclassified it as a dwarf planet.

Your turn
2018-2019: Fossils, Solar System, Sci Quiz Bowl (Trial)
2019-2020: Circuit Lab, Machines, Mission (Im)possible, Reach For The Stars
2020-2021: Anatomy & Physilogy (if no conflicts) Astronomy, Enviromental Chemistry, Machines <-- I want to do these...

AwersomeUser
Member
Member
Posts: 117
Joined: December 8th, 2018, 5:20 am
Division: B
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Solar System

Post by AwersomeUser » March 13th, 2019, 1:38 pm

AwersomeUser wrote:
isotelus wrote:
1. Haumea and it's satellites, Hi'aka and Namaka
2. d
3. did not clear it's orbit
1. :)
2. :)
3. Correct but I would probably add put that several similar size objects in the Kuiper belt, such as Eris which is 27% more massive than Pluto were discovered. This led the IAU to define the term "planet" formally in 2006. The new definition excluded Pluto and reclassified it as a dwarf planet.

Your turn
Um it is your turn.
2018-2019: Fossils, Solar System, Sci Quiz Bowl (Trial)
2019-2020: Circuit Lab, Machines, Mission (Im)possible, Reach For The Stars
2020-2021: Anatomy & Physilogy (if no conflicts) Astronomy, Enviromental Chemistry, Machines <-- I want to do these...

User avatar
isotelus
Member
Member
Posts: 93
Joined: May 23rd, 2018, 6:32 pm
Division: C
State: TX
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Solar System

Post by isotelus » March 13th, 2019, 1:57 pm

AwersomeUser wrote:Um it is your turn.
Oh yeah, sorry about that.
[img]https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/6/65/2003_EL61_Haumea%2C_with_moons.jpg[/img]
1. Identify the above object
2. Name the satellite(s)
3. How long is a rotational period and does this contribute anything special to the body?
'19 Season B: Fossils, ELG, Solar System
'19 Nationals B: Parasitology (1st), Sci Quiz Bowl (10th), WAYTTTM (7th)
'20 Season C: A&P, Designer Genes, Protein Modeling, Ornithology

SLHS '23

AwersomeUser
Member
Member
Posts: 117
Joined: December 8th, 2018, 5:20 am
Division: B
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Solar System

Post by AwersomeUser » March 13th, 2019, 2:58 pm

isotelus wrote:
AwersomeUser wrote:Um it is your turn.
Oh yeah, sorry about that.
[img]https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/6/65/2003_EL61_Haumea%2C_with_moons.jpg[/img]
1. Identify the above object
2. Name the satellite(s)
3. How long is a rotational period and does this contribute anything special to the body?
1. Haumea, Namaka, and Hi’iaka
2. Namaka and Hi’iaka
3. The rotation period is about 4 hours and this fast rotation contribute Haumea to be elongated.
2018-2019: Fossils, Solar System, Sci Quiz Bowl (Trial)
2019-2020: Circuit Lab, Machines, Mission (Im)possible, Reach For The Stars
2020-2021: Anatomy & Physilogy (if no conflicts) Astronomy, Enviromental Chemistry, Machines <-- I want to do these...

User avatar
isotelus
Member
Member
Posts: 93
Joined: May 23rd, 2018, 6:32 pm
Division: C
State: TX
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Solar System

Post by isotelus » March 14th, 2019, 12:38 am

AwersomeUser wrote:
isotelus wrote:
AwersomeUser wrote:Um it is your turn.
Oh yeah, sorry about that.
[img]https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/6/65/2003_EL61_Haumea%2C_with_moons.jpg[/img]
1. Identify the above object
2. Name the satellite(s)
3. How long is a rotational period and does this contribute anything special to the body?
1. Haumea, Namaka, and Hi’iaka
2. Namaka and Hi’iaka
3. The rotation period is about 4 hours and this fast rotation contribute Haumea to be elongated.
Correct, go ahead
'19 Season B: Fossils, ELG, Solar System
'19 Nationals B: Parasitology (1st), Sci Quiz Bowl (10th), WAYTTTM (7th)
'20 Season C: A&P, Designer Genes, Protein Modeling, Ornithology

SLHS '23

AwersomeUser
Member
Member
Posts: 117
Joined: December 8th, 2018, 5:20 am
Division: B
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Solar System B

Post by AwersomeUser » March 14th, 2019, 11:08 am

1. The presence of what gas in Pluto's atmosphere creates a temperature inversion?
2. What is the largest member of the Kuiper belt?
3. Why won’t Pluto collide with Neptune? (With the current orbit)
2018-2019: Fossils, Solar System, Sci Quiz Bowl (Trial)
2019-2020: Circuit Lab, Machines, Mission (Im)possible, Reach For The Stars
2020-2021: Anatomy & Physilogy (if no conflicts) Astronomy, Enviromental Chemistry, Machines <-- I want to do these...

User avatar
LiteralRhinoceros
Member
Member
Posts: 160
Joined: March 5th, 2018, 7:08 am
Division: C
State: NJ
Pronouns: He/Him/His
Location: WW-P High School North
Has thanked: 6 times
Been thanked: 4 times

Re: Solar System B

Post by LiteralRhinoceros » March 14th, 2019, 1:17 pm

AwersomeUser wrote:1. The presence of what gas in Pluto's atmosphere creates a temperature inversion?
2. What is the largest member of the Kuiper belt?
3. Why won’t Pluto collide with Neptune? (With the current orbit)
1. Methane
2. Pluto
3. Pluto and Neptune have an orbital resonance of 2:3, so if one were to come near the other, they would be slowed down, and cannot collide.
Dank Memes Area Homeschool 2017-2019

Community MS '19
WW-P HS North '23

Events: DyPlan, GeoMapping, Astro

Userpage

Nats Average: 6.9 - 0.1

AwersomeUser
Member
Member
Posts: 117
Joined: December 8th, 2018, 5:20 am
Division: B
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Solar System B

Post by AwersomeUser » March 14th, 2019, 1:36 pm

LiteralRhinoceros wrote:
AwersomeUser wrote:1. The presence of what gas in Pluto's atmosphere creates a temperature inversion?
2. What is the largest member of the Kuiper belt?
3. Why won’t Pluto collide with Neptune? (With the current orbit)
1. Methane
2. Pluto
3. Pluto and Neptune have an orbital resonance of 2:3, so if one were to come near the other, they would be slowed down, and cannot collide.
:) Your turn.
2018-2019: Fossils, Solar System, Sci Quiz Bowl (Trial)
2019-2020: Circuit Lab, Machines, Mission (Im)possible, Reach For The Stars
2020-2021: Anatomy & Physilogy (if no conflicts) Astronomy, Enviromental Chemistry, Machines <-- I want to do these...

User avatar
LiteralRhinoceros
Member
Member
Posts: 160
Joined: March 5th, 2018, 7:08 am
Division: C
State: NJ
Pronouns: He/Him/His
Location: WW-P High School North
Has thanked: 6 times
Been thanked: 4 times

Re: Solar System B

Post by LiteralRhinoceros » March 15th, 2019, 8:06 am

1. What is Pluto's blue haze?
2. What is a plausible formation of Sputnik Planitia? How does this relate to the tidal axis?
3. What is the gap in Saturn's rings created by Mimas called?
Dank Memes Area Homeschool 2017-2019

Community MS '19
WW-P HS North '23

Events: DyPlan, GeoMapping, Astro

Userpage

Nats Average: 6.9 - 0.1

AwersomeUser
Member
Member
Posts: 117
Joined: December 8th, 2018, 5:20 am
Division: B
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Solar System B

Post by AwersomeUser » March 15th, 2019, 8:40 am

LiteralRhinoceros wrote:1. What is Pluto's blue haze?
2. What is a plausible formation of Sputnik Planitia? How does this relate to the tidal axis?
3. What is the gap in Saturn's rings created by Mimas called?
1. Pluto’s atmosphere 
2. Idk so I am just going to guess somewhat randomly. It may originated as an impact basin and this could’ve pull in all the other stuff and fill toward it and then somehow change its tidal axis. 
3. Cassini Division
2018-2019: Fossils, Solar System, Sci Quiz Bowl (Trial)
2019-2020: Circuit Lab, Machines, Mission (Im)possible, Reach For The Stars
2020-2021: Anatomy & Physilogy (if no conflicts) Astronomy, Enviromental Chemistry, Machines <-- I want to do these...

Post Reply

Return to “2019 Question Marathons”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests