Herpetology B/C

doolydino
Member
Member
Posts: 10
Joined: February 22nd, 2019, 4:58 pm
Division: C
State: VA
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Herpetology B/C

Post by doolydino » February 26th, 2019, 7:00 pm

1) Image
a. Identify this specimen's genus
b. Name two snakes (provide genus name) that prey on this salamander. Hint: these snakes are on the National list!
c. How many costal grooves does this salamander have?

2) Image
a. Identify this specimen's genus
b. In which state is this salamander considered rare and protected?
c. Name one parasite that poses a threat to this salamander.

3)
a. Order the reptile skin layers from top to bottom.
b. What is the function of the allantois?
c. How many cervical vertebra do both turtles and tortoises have?

User avatar
kate!
Member
Member
Posts: 441
Joined: October 11th, 2017, 12:07 pm
Division: C
State: NY
Location: Ward Melville HS
Has thanked: 11 times
Been thanked: 0

Re: Herpetology B/C

Post by kate! » March 6th, 2019, 4:13 pm

doolydino wrote:
1) [img]http://www.lireptiles.com/files/RALI/cinereus/Pc03.jpg[/img]
a. Identify this specimen's genus
b. Name two snakes (provide genus name) that prey on this salamander. Hint: these snakes are on the National list! 
c. How many costal grooves does this salamander have?

2) [img]http://www.californiaherps.com/salamanders/images/alugubrisalb.jpg[/img]
a. Identify this specimen's genus
b. In which state is this salamander considered rare and protected? 
c. Name one parasite that poses a threat to this salamander. 

3) 
a. Order the reptile skin layers from top to bottom.
b. What is the function of the allantois? 
c. How many cervical vertebra do both turtles and tortoises have?
ok uh yikes this is hard but i'll try my best
1a. Batrachoseps
1b. Garter snakes and ring-necked snakes
1c. 18??
2a. Aneides
2b. Georgia
2c. Nematode??
3a. uHhHhhhhHHhhH i have no idea i'm just going to say epidermis and dermis
3b. Surrounds the embryo
3c. Gonna say 8 but it might be wrong
Two years ago I knew stuff about rocks, minerals, experiments, and ecosystems, yay!
Last year I knew stuff about amphibians, reptiles, freshwater, and more experiments, yay again!
Now I know stuff about oceanography, saltwater, birds, and fossils, yay for the third time!

doolydino
Member
Member
Posts: 10
Joined: February 22nd, 2019, 4:58 pm
Division: C
State: VA
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Herpetology B/C

Post by doolydino » March 11th, 2019, 5:50 pm

kate! wrote:
doolydino wrote:
1) [img]http://www.lireptiles.com/files/RALI/cinereus/Pc03.jpg[/img]
a. Identify this specimen's genus
b. Name two snakes (provide genus name) that prey on this salamander. Hint: these snakes are on the National list! 
c. How many costal grooves does this salamander have?

2) [img]http://www.californiaherps.com/salamanders/images/alugubrisalb.jpg[/img]
a. Identify this specimen's genus
b. In which state is this salamander considered rare and protected? 
c. Name one parasite that poses a threat to this salamander. 

3) 
a. Order the reptile skin layers from top to bottom.
b. What is the function of the allantois? 
c. How many cervical vertebra do both turtles and tortoises have?
ok uh yikes this is hard but i'll try my best
1a. Batrachoseps
1b. Garter snakes and ring-necked snakes
1c. 18??
2a. Aneides
2b. Georgia
2c. Nematode??
3a. uHhHhhhhHHhhH i have no idea i'm just going to say epidermis and dermis
3b. Surrounds the embryo
3c. Gonna say 8 but it might be wrong
1a. Correct
1b. Correct
1c. 16-21, so correct
2a. Correct
2b. Correct
2c. Would accept nematode, but I was looking for scientific names (should've specified that in the question oops): [i]Batracholandros salamandrae, Oswaldocruzia pipiens[/i]
3a. Stratum corneum, Stratum germinativum, Dermis
3b. Segregates excretions so embryo doesn’t poison itself
3c. It is 8! Good job :)
Your turn!

The48thYoshi
Member
Member
Posts: 113
Joined: March 25th, 2017, 3:11 pm
Division: C
State: IL
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Herpetology B/C

Post by The48thYoshi » March 14th, 2019, 8:29 pm

Since no one has posted in a while I guess I’ll post
Image

What is the average size of a specimen in this genus?
What sexual dimorphism is exhibited by members of this genus?
What is a distinguishing feature of the tails of organisms in this genus?
What is the clutch size?
How do these organisms obtain body temperatures higher than air temperature?
aeshs ‘22

User avatar
kate!
Member
Member
Posts: 441
Joined: October 11th, 2017, 12:07 pm
Division: C
State: NY
Location: Ward Melville HS
Has thanked: 11 times
Been thanked: 0

Re: Herpetology B/C

Post by kate! » March 22nd, 2019, 7:52 pm

The48thYoshi wrote:Since no one has posted in a while I guess I’ll post
Image

What is the average size of a specimen in this genus?
What sexual dimorphism is exhibited by members of this genus?
What is a distinguishing feature of the tails of organisms in this genus?
What is the clutch size?
How do these organisms obtain body temperatures higher than air temperature?
1. You didn't ask for ID but it's Glyptemys.
2. I'm going to say like 11cm??
3. Females have flatter plastrons, smaller tails, vent is beneath carapace edge
4. V-shaped notch at the tail
5. I'm gonna go with like 2-10 (it's hard to average these numbers between the two species, not sure what you want)
6. Orienting their shells toward the sun and staying out of the wind
Two years ago I knew stuff about rocks, minerals, experiments, and ecosystems, yay!
Last year I knew stuff about amphibians, reptiles, freshwater, and more experiments, yay again!
Now I know stuff about oceanography, saltwater, birds, and fossils, yay for the third time!

User avatar
emmalasagna
Member
Member
Posts: 42
Joined: April 8th, 2018, 11:30 am
Division: C
State: CT
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 1 time

Re: Herpetology B/C

Post by emmalasagna » May 13th, 2019, 8:00 am

this thread kind of died so i'm gonna try to revive it:
[img]https://previews.agefotostock.com/previewimage/medibigoff/b31e701ae1db66fa657ba81bf8714798/mev-10736367.jpg[/img]
1.ID down to the most specific taxon on the list
2.do they make good pets? why or why not?
3.true or false: they are more heat tolerant than other snakes
4.why are the tails of these animals sometimes heavily scarred?
5.how much of their total length does the tail usually take up?
bedford ms '19, staples hs '23
ornithology, fossils, designer genes, expd

please bring back herp like actually please

Fallsbury
Member
Member
Posts: 46
Joined: May 18th, 2019, 8:30 am
Division: B
State: NJ
Location: Plainsboro
Has thanked: 3 times
Been thanked: 1 time

Re: Herpetology B/C

Post by Fallsbury » May 19th, 2019, 10:30 am

Lol im actually bad at herp (like really bad) but here's my guess
1) Charina
2) Yes because they are quite docile and have a low cost of maintenance
3) True?
4) The tail gradually tapers, ending in a blunt stub. This also gives the illusion of 2 heads.
5) 14%
Events: Density Lab, Machines, Circuit Lab, Garden State (at regs), Heredity, Picture this
Division B
Community Middle School Captain

wearymagpie
Member
Member
Posts: 15
Joined: March 31st, 2019, 4:41 pm
Division: C
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Herpetology B/C

Post by wearymagpie » May 20th, 2019, 7:38 am

emmalasagna wrote:this thread kind of died so i'm gonna try to revive it:
[img]https://previews.agefotostock.com/previewimage/medibigoff/b31e701ae1db66fa657ba81bf8714798/mev-10736367.jpg[/img]
1.ID down to the most specific taxon on the list
2.do they make good pets? why or why not?
3.true or false: they are more heat tolerant than other snakes
4.why are the tails of these animals sometimes heavily scarred?
5.how much of their total length does the tail usually take up?
1. charina (rubber boa)
2. yes; they are very docile and easy to take care of
3. false 
4. they use them as a way to fend off mother rodents when raiding rodent burrows to prey on the offspring
5. 20% but I'm just guessing lol
2019-20 events: ornithology, codebusters, water quality, fossils

Fallsbury
Member
Member
Posts: 46
Joined: May 18th, 2019, 8:30 am
Division: B
State: NJ
Location: Plainsboro
Has thanked: 3 times
Been thanked: 1 time

Re: Herpetology B/C

Post by Fallsbury » May 20th, 2019, 2:13 pm

Well here are the next series of questions:
Image
1) ID this herptile down to the most specific taxon according to the official list.
2) Give it's common name according to the list and give another name for this animal.
3) Name 2 defense mechanisms of these animals.
4) What is their total average length?
5) Around how many eggs are in each clutch?
Events: Density Lab, Machines, Circuit Lab, Garden State (at regs), Heredity, Picture this
Division B
Community Middle School Captain

wearymagpie
Member
Member
Posts: 15
Joined: March 31st, 2019, 4:41 pm
Division: C
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Herpetology B/C

Post by wearymagpie » May 20th, 2019, 2:33 pm

Fallsbury wrote:Well here are the next series of questions:
Image
1) ID this herptile down to the most specific taxon according to the official list.
2) Give it's common name according to the list and give another name for this animal.
3) Name 2 defense mechanisms of these animals.
4) What is their total average length?
5) Around how many eggs are in each clutch?
1. elaphe 
2. rat snake; eastern rat snake
3. release musk and mimic rattlesnake by shaking tail in leaves
4. 99-183 cm
5. 12-20 eggs
2019-20 events: ornithology, codebusters, water quality, fossils

Post Reply

Return to “2019 Question Marathons”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest