Meteorology B

IHateClouds
Division: C
State: PA
Pronouns: She/Her/Hers

Re: Meteorology B

Post by IHateClouds »

Next Question: (Trying a new format!:)

Your friend is looking outside and sees a cloud she's never seen before that has pouch-like shapes on the bottom on the cloud. What type of cloud is she looking at? What is that cloud associated with?

If thats not enough heres a hint: the name is from the Latin word that means udder/breast
LiteralRhinoceros
State: NJ
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by LiteralRhinoceros »

Mammatus Clouds
They typically bring thunderstorms.
Dank Memes Area Homeschool 2017-2019

Community MS '19
WW-P HS North '23

Events: DyPlan, GeoMapping, Astro

Userpage
IHateClouds

Post by IHateClouds »

Correct! :D
They are also associated with anvil clouds
LiteralRhinoceros
State: NJ
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by LiteralRhinoceros »

Who created the following instruments?
Barometer
Anemometer
Radiosonde
Dank Memes Area Homeschool 2017-2019

Community MS '19
WW-P HS North '23

Events: DyPlan, GeoMapping, Astro

Userpage
IHateClouds

Post by IHateClouds »

LiteralRhinocerous wrote
Who created the following instruments?
Barometer
Anemometer
Radiosonde
Barometer: Evangelista Torricelli created the original and that was improved by othes such as Blaise Pascal and Florin Perier Anemometer: The first was created by Leon Battista Alberti. Many others including John Thomas Romney Robinson and John Patternson approved upon the original design Radiosonde: The first radiosonde was made by Gustave Hermite and Georges Besancon, the design was later improced by Colonel William Blaire and the first modern one was made by Robert Bureau.
IHateClouds

Post by IHateClouds »

Next question! :)

What does it mean that frontogenesis is an increase in the thermal gradient while frontolysis is a decrease in the thermal gradient? How does that apply to isotherms?
TheCrazyChemist
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by TheCrazyChemist »

IHateClouds wrote:Next question! :)

What does it mean that frontogenesis is an increase in the thermal gradient while frontolysis is a decrease in the thermal gradient? How does that apply to isotherms?
Ok, I'll take a shot at this one. A front is essentially a difference in temperatures between to air masses that are colliding. Frontogenesis is essentially the birth of fronts or the increasing of them(I guess), so it is the 'birth' or increasing of that temperature gradient. Frontolysis is the degradation of a front on some level. Again, a front is essentially a temperature gradient, so frontolysis is the decreasing of that gradient. I feel like I kind of know the answer, I'm just terrible at explaining it. Next one, isotherms. Well, isotherms are lines on a map that connect areas of similar temperatures. So, frontolysis causes a gradient in temperature to occur or increase, so the isotherm is kind of eradicated. Frontolysis is the opposite, the isotherm gets 'stronger'. Next Question(sorry if it's bad): What are lenticular clouds and how are they formed?
Last edited by TheCrazyChemist on April 10th, 2019, 6:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.
IHateClouds

Post by IHateClouds »

TheCrazyChemist wrote: Ok, I'll take a shot at this one. A front is essentially a difference in temperatures between to air masses that are colliding. Frontogenesis is essentially the birth of fronts or the increasing of them(I guess), so it is the 'birth' or increasing of that temperature gradient. Frontolysis is the degradation of a front on some level. Again, a front is essentially a temperature gradient, so frontolysis is the decreasing of that gradient. I feel like I kind of know the answer, I'm just terrible at explaining it. Next one, isotherms. Well, isotherms are lines on a map that connect areas of similar temperatures. So, frontolysis causes a gradient in temperature to occur or increase, so the isotherm is kind of eradicated. Frontolysis is the opposite, the isotherm gets 'stronger'.
dont forget to hide your answer somehow next time! :D

Thats pretty much right, but here's how I would explain it: The increase in the thermal gradient means that the isotherms are thicker together, so there is a larger temperature change in the frontal zone. The decrease in thermal gradients means that the isotherms are more spread out and there is a much more gradual temperature change.
IHateClouds

Post by IHateClouds »

Heh I forgot to answer the question :D whooops.
TheCrazyChemist wrote
What are lenticular clouds and how are they formed?
Lenticular clouds are formed by topography and look like UFOs or lenses. As for the formation, they are created by the topography, specifically mountains. The clouds form in their odd shape via orographic lifting. (I think that when the air hits the base it moves up the mountain or something like that and forms via adiabatic cooling like most clouds.) and before I forget:
Next Question!!! Why are mountain & valley winds similar to land & sea breezes? How?
TheCrazyChemist
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by TheCrazyChemist »

IHateClouds wrote:Heh I forgot to answer the question :D whooops.
TheCrazyChemist wrote
What are lenticular clouds and how are they formed?
Lenticular clouds are formed by topography and look like UFOs or lenses. As for the formation, they are created by the topography, specifically mountains. The clouds form in their odd shape via orographic lifting. (I think that when the air hits the base it moves up the mountain or something like that and forms via adiabatic cooling like most clouds.) and before I forget:
Next Question!!! Why are mountain & valley winds similar to land & sea breezes? How?
Oops, I'll remember to hide my answers next time.

Return to “2019 Question Marathons”