Parasitology B (NY Trial)

User avatar
builderguy135
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Posts: 723
Joined: September 8th, 2018, 12:24 pm
Division: C
State: NJ
Pronouns: He/Him/His
Has thanked: 141 times
Been thanked: 96 times
Contact:

Re: Parasitology B (NY Trial)

Post by builderguy135 » January 2nd, 2019, 5:21 pm

LiteralRhinoceros wrote:By unique, I mean a major alteration to the host's lifestyle, but specifically for Toxoplasma.
It causes toxoplasmosis, most of the time which has little to no symptoms.
West Windsor - Plainsboro High School North '22
PPP/Sounds/Wright/Code/Cyber/DigiStruc
7x National Medalist, 2x MIT SoM Champion
Test Writer and Event Supervisor, BirdSO Co-Director
My Userpage

User avatar
LiteralRhinoceros
Member
Member
Posts: 161
Joined: March 5th, 2018, 7:08 am
Division: C
State: NJ
Pronouns: He/Him/His
Has thanked: 8 times
Been thanked: 4 times

Re: Parasitology B (NY Trial)

Post by LiteralRhinoceros » January 2nd, 2019, 5:28 pm

I guess I didn't word this properly. The parasite causes a change in behavior of the intermediate host, and I'm asking how this change in behavior helps the parasite survive.
Dank Memes Area Homeschool 2017-2019

Community MS '19
WW-P HS North '23

Events: DyPlan, GeoMapping, Astro

Userpage

User avatar
builderguy135
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Posts: 723
Joined: September 8th, 2018, 12:24 pm
Division: C
State: NJ
Pronouns: He/Him/His
Has thanked: 141 times
Been thanked: 96 times
Contact:

Re: Parasitology B (NY Trial)

Post by builderguy135 » January 2nd, 2019, 6:11 pm

LiteralRhinoceros wrote:I guess I didn't word this properly. The parasite causes a change in behavior of the intermediate host, and I'm asking how this change in behavior helps the parasite survive.
In rats, it changes the behavior of it so cats eat the rat, getting T. gondii and starting the life cycle again.
West Windsor - Plainsboro High School North '22
PPP/Sounds/Wright/Code/Cyber/DigiStruc
7x National Medalist, 2x MIT SoM Champion
Test Writer and Event Supervisor, BirdSO Co-Director
My Userpage

User avatar
LiteralRhinoceros
Member
Member
Posts: 161
Joined: March 5th, 2018, 7:08 am
Division: C
State: NJ
Pronouns: He/Him/His
Has thanked: 8 times
Been thanked: 4 times

Re: Parasitology B (NY Trial)

Post by LiteralRhinoceros » January 3rd, 2019, 7:52 am

Correct, your turn.
Dank Memes Area Homeschool 2017-2019

Community MS '19
WW-P HS North '23

Events: DyPlan, GeoMapping, Astro

Userpage

User avatar
builderguy135
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Posts: 723
Joined: September 8th, 2018, 12:24 pm
Division: C
State: NJ
Pronouns: He/Him/His
Has thanked: 141 times
Been thanked: 96 times
Contact:

Re: Parasitology B (NY Trial)

Post by builderguy135 » January 4th, 2019, 8:02 pm

Image

1) What parasite is this?

2) What disease does it cause?

3) Where does it enter the human body?
West Windsor - Plainsboro High School North '22
PPP/Sounds/Wright/Code/Cyber/DigiStruc
7x National Medalist, 2x MIT SoM Champion
Test Writer and Event Supervisor, BirdSO Co-Director
My Userpage

Anomaly
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Posts: 641
Joined: February 17th, 2017, 10:46 am
Division: C
State: PA
Pronouns: She/Her/Hers
Has thanked: 3 times
Been thanked: 8 times

Re: Parasitology B (NY Trial)

Post by Anomaly » January 7th, 2019, 7:40 pm

builderguy135 wrote:Image

1) What parasite is this?

2) What disease does it cause?

3) Where does it enter the human body?
uhhh lets take a wild guess at this lmao
1. Naegleria fowleri
2. Naegleriasis (i think it has another name but idk correct me if im wrong)
3. In through the nose, making its way to the brain so that it can eat your brain tee hee
Orefield MS SO 2015-2018, Parkland HS SO 2019-2020
Medal/Ribbon Count
Invitational: 25
Regional: 16
State: 7
y o i n k s
Events: Anatomy and Physiology, Codebusters, Designer Genes, Protein Modeling

User avatar
builderguy135
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Posts: 723
Joined: September 8th, 2018, 12:24 pm
Division: C
State: NJ
Pronouns: He/Him/His
Has thanked: 141 times
Been thanked: 96 times
Contact:

Re: Parasitology B (NY Trial)

Post by builderguy135 » January 7th, 2019, 7:55 pm

Anomaly wrote:
builderguy135 wrote:Image

1) What parasite is this?

2) What disease does it cause?

3) Where does it enter the human body?
uhhh lets take a wild guess at this lmao
1. Naegleria fowleri
2. Naegleriasis (i think it has another name but idk correct me if im wrong)
3. In through the nose, making its way to the brain so that it can eat your brain tee hee
Right, Wrong, Right

Also, this exact question was on the rustin test wth... and i posted it beforehand lol
West Windsor - Plainsboro High School North '22
PPP/Sounds/Wright/Code/Cyber/DigiStruc
7x National Medalist, 2x MIT SoM Champion
Test Writer and Event Supervisor, BirdSO Co-Director
My Userpage

Anomaly
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Posts: 641
Joined: February 17th, 2017, 10:46 am
Division: C
State: PA
Pronouns: She/Her/Hers
Has thanked: 3 times
Been thanked: 8 times

Re: Parasitology B (NY Trial)

Post by Anomaly » January 7th, 2019, 8:38 pm

builderguy135 wrote:
Anomaly wrote:
builderguy135 wrote:Image

1) What parasite is this?

2) What disease does it cause?

3) Where does it enter the human body?
uhhh lets take a wild guess at this lmao
1. Naegleria fowleri
2. Naegleriasis (i think it has another name but idk correct me if im wrong)
3. In through the nose, making its way to the brain so that it can eat your brain tee hee
Right, Wrong, Right

Also, this exact question was on the rustin test wth... and i posted it beforehand lol
lmao was it really? i didn’t really look at the questions while grading.
and what’s the right answer for 2
Orefield MS SO 2015-2018, Parkland HS SO 2019-2020
Medal/Ribbon Count
Invitational: 25
Regional: 16
State: 7
y o i n k s
Events: Anatomy and Physiology, Codebusters, Designer Genes, Protein Modeling

User avatar
LiteralRhinoceros
Member
Member
Posts: 161
Joined: March 5th, 2018, 7:08 am
Division: C
State: NJ
Pronouns: He/Him/His
Has thanked: 8 times
Been thanked: 4 times

Re: Parasitology B (NY Trial)

Post by LiteralRhinoceros » January 9th, 2019, 2:04 pm

It's PAM (primary amoebic meningoencephalitis)
Dank Memes Area Homeschool 2017-2019

Community MS '19
WW-P HS North '23

Events: DyPlan, GeoMapping, Astro

Userpage

User avatar
builderguy135
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Posts: 723
Joined: September 8th, 2018, 12:24 pm
Division: C
State: NJ
Pronouns: He/Him/His
Has thanked: 141 times
Been thanked: 96 times
Contact:

Re: Parasitology B (NY Trial)

Post by builderguy135 » January 9th, 2019, 2:12 pm

LiteralRhinoceros wrote:It's PAM (primary amoebic meningoencephalitis)
Right. Uhhhh either you or Anomaly's turn ig lol
West Windsor - Plainsboro High School North '22
PPP/Sounds/Wright/Code/Cyber/DigiStruc
7x National Medalist, 2x MIT SoM Champion
Test Writer and Event Supervisor, BirdSO Co-Director
My Userpage

Post Reply

Return to “2019 Question Marathons”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests