State: NY

Re: Long Island Science Olympiad (LISO) Invitational 2018

Post by drcubbin »

IvanGe wrote:
drcubbin wrote:
builderguy135 wrote:
I did it with a friend.

Congrats on placing 4th!
Much appreciated! We're getting closer to Nats, but need to re-group and tighten up. Any suggestions?
Although your teams are probably not set in stone yet, one thing to watch out for is the timing on the States schedule. The NYS schedule is out (Draft) and I think it should be considered when choosing people so there are no conflicts since it is the most important tournament of the year. It will allow for people who will probably be doing those events at States to get the most practice and experience at Invitationals. It is only a Draft, but usually it is very similar to the finalized schedule and by the time that comes out, it may be too late for additional practice at tournaments if conflicts occur. Anyways, congratulations at LISO!
Thank you and your team for all your support and good clean camaraderie. We are looking to stand side by side with your team this year at the conclusion of State :D But for now, back to the drawing board!!
stereonetqueen
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by stereonetqueen »

kate! wrote:
Unome wrote:The B results are pretty standard, besides noting that Community continues to perform very well. The C results are relatively normal for the most part - WW-P North is on track to end up much like last year. Notably, Ward Melville and especially Syosset both performed very well.
I was surprised that Lower Merion wasn't top 5, and neither was Rustin... is there a reason for that?
I think LM is definitely going to need to step it up this season if they want to have any chance against Rustin at all. Based on Rustin's performance, it seems they're really coming back for that nationals spot with a vengeance lol :D
CrayolaCrayon
Division: C
State: PA

Post by CrayolaCrayon »

stereonetqueen wrote:
kate! wrote:
Unome wrote:The B results are pretty standard, besides noting that Community continues to perform very well. The C results are relatively normal for the most part - WW-P North is on track to end up much like last year. Notably, Ward Melville and especially Syosset both performed very well.
I was surprised that Lower Merion wasn't top 5, and neither was Rustin... is there a reason for that?
I think LM is definitely going to need to step it up this season if they want to have any chance against Rustin at all. Based on Rustin's performance, it seems they're really coming back for that nationals spot with a vengeance lol :D
Time will eventually tell, but I predict another tough and close PA state competition for 2nd place.
MIT '25
MIT Wright Stuff ES '22
BirdSO Wright Stuff ES '22
o2558918

Post by o2558918 »

stereonetqueen wrote:
kate! wrote:
Yeah I agree. Lower Merion performed dramatically worse at Islip this year compared to last year, when their two teams scored 132 and 237 points, and their B team came two points away from beating Rustin's stacked A team. Considering that Lower Merion and Rustin scored approximately the same this year (about 300 points for A and 360 for B) and I know Rustin doesn't usually send its strongest members to Islip, Rustin is probably at a significant advantage going into the competition for 2nd place. Anything could happen, but Lower Merion looks weaker than last year.

Does anyone know what happened to Lower Merion?
EastStroudsburg13
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
Division: Grad
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by EastStroudsburg13 »

o2558918 wrote:
stereonetqueen wrote:
kate! wrote: I was surprised that Lower Merion wasn't top 5, and neither was Rustin... is there a reason for that?
Yeah I agree. Lower Merion performed dramatically worse at Islip this year compared to last year, when their two teams scored 132 and 237 points, and their B team came two points away from beating Rustin's stacked A team. Considering that Lower Merion and Rustin scored approximately the same this year (about 300 points for A and 360 for B) and I know Rustin doesn't usually send its strongest members to Islip, Rustin is probably at a significant advantage going into the competition for 2nd place. Anything could happen, but Lower Merion looks weaker than last year.

Does anyone know what happened to Lower Merion?
Occam's razor dictates that it's most likely roster turnover. I would still expect them to be involved in the top 4 of PA. LM could also be focusing on their younger members early in the season to determine who will fill the spots vacated by graduation.
East Stroudsburg South Class of 2012, Alumnus of JT Lambert, Drexel University Class of 2017

Helpful Links
Wiki
Wiki Pages that Need Work
FAQ and SciOly FAQ Wiki
Chat (See IRC Wiki for more info)
BBCode Wiki

So long, and thanks for all the Future Dictator titles!
drcubbin
Division: B

Post by drcubbin »

Three LISO questions:
1. What was the gym height at Kellenberg?
2. We brought no map for Road Scholar (even though our B Team took 6th), but I don't remember reading that in any of the e-mails - though I most likely missed it - but was it told ahead of time?
3. Does anyone bring old AAA maps to Invitationals just "in case"?
CrayolaCrayon

Post by CrayolaCrayon »

drcubbin wrote:Three LISO questions:
I thought it was around 6 meters, but it was loaded with obstructions. At least they raised the flags, but there were still the basketball hoops.
MIT '25
MIT Wright Stuff ES '22
BirdSO Wright Stuff ES '22
IvanGe

Post by IvanGe »

2. We brought no map for Road Scholar (even though our B Team took 6th), but I don't remember reading that in any of the e-mails - though I most likely missed it - but was it told ahead of time?
We didn't receive an email either so I'm going to assume they may have forgotten? Our team didn't bring any maps. Last year they announced the maps to bring or if they were provided maps. There are a lot of AAA maps so we usually don't pack any old maps unless they specifically tell us to.
gelinas 2016-2019, wmhs'22

nats '19:
5th - potions
5th - fossils
9th - buggy
builderguy135
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: NJ
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by builderguy135 »

IvanGe wrote:
We didn't receive an email either so I'm going to assume they may have forgotten? Our team didn't bring any maps. Last year they announced the maps to bring or if they were provided maps. There are a lot of AAA maps so we usually don't pack any old maps unless they specifically tell us to.
I never received a notice to bring the map either. :/ It worked out okay though. They just made us share tests with other people.
West Windsor-Plainsboro High School North '22
BirdSO Co-Director
My Userpage
ms74coach

Post by ms74coach »

There was an email on 11/17 from LISO that stated AAA Oregon/ Washington maps for Road Scholar event. And congratulations on your teams' performance.

Return to “2019 Invitationals”