Science Olympiad at MIT Invitational 2019

JonB
Coach
Coach
Division: C
State: FL

Re: Science Olympiad at MIT Invitational 2019

Post by JonB »

cbrant554 wrote:Does anyone know how much time they got per station on herpetology?

It was 2 minutes per station based on the best they could remember (although there was some argument if it was 2 or 2 1/2 per station).
windu34
Staff Emeritus
Staff Emeritus
Division: Grad

Post by windu34 »

Unome wrote:
ScottMaurer19 wrote:
Unome wrote: Link

Some of the 1st place scores are interesting. I didn't expect MTV to be nearly so high, even with Nationals rules.
Mission is also extremely high. The nationals rules probably had a longer target time allowing for a little bit of a boost.
I meant in the other way, I expected MTV to be closer to 25 even with Nationals rules. Troy and Mira Loma seem to be in the 10-15 range on state rules.
Agreed, but I would also partially contribute lower scores to more difficult conditions. Tracks were not parallel with floor lines and the junctions between the floor tiles likely messed up some teams.
Boca Raton Community High School Alumni
University of Florida Science Olympiad Co-Founder
Florida Science Olympiad Board of Directors
[email protected] || windu34's Userpage
wxyz
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by wxyz »

Anyone think some of the answers for thermo multiple choice are wrong? Specifically 3, 7, and 9.
primitivepolonium
State: CA

Post by primitivepolonium »

wxyz wrote:Anyone think some of the answers for thermo multiple choice are wrong? Specifically 3, 7, and 9.
Didn't do 3, but the answer to 7 is technically correct (though JT is also adiabatic...?).

9 is definitely correct. 0th law only applies for perfect crystals. On the other hand, the method used to define in entropy uses H+ as a standard--rhus it's always 0.
Div D! I really like chem, oceanography, and nail polish--not in that order.

Troy HS, co2016.

Feel free to PM me about SciOly or college or whatever! I really enjoy making online friends.
masterWIZ
State: OH

Post by masterWIZ »

cbrant554 wrote:Does anyone know how much time they got per station on herpetology?
The test said 3 1/2 minutes.
Mr. Builder :) :)
pikachu4919
State: IN
Pronouns: She/Her/Hers

Post by pikachu4919 »

Hope y'all enjoy the sheer amount of memes that Piisgood164 and I put into that Forensics test :P Full breakdown of them is at the very end of the answer key
Carmel HS (IN) '16
Purdue BioE '21? reevaluating my life choices
Nationals 2016 ~ 4th place Forensics

"It is important to draw wisdom from different places. If you take it from only one place, it becomes rigid and stale." -Uncle Iroh

About me || Rate my tests!
Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.

MY CABBAGES!
C8H10N4O2!

Post by C8H10N4O2! »

pikachu4919 wrote:Hope y'all enjoy the sheer amount of memes that Piisgood164 and I put into that Forensics test :P Full breakdown of them is at the very end of the answer key
I only saw that when viewing the answer key... never got that far on the actual test. But I did realize some of them when scanning the suspect profiles....
pepperonipi
Pronouns: She/Her/Hers

Post by pepperonipi »

wxyz wrote:Anyone think some of the answers for thermo multiple choice are wrong? Specifically 3, 7, and 9.
Yes!!

My partner and I have been looking over the Thermo test and we noticed some that we thought were wrong.

Problem #3 was the first one we noticed that was wrong. For Choice A, a simple Google search will show you that the Réaumur scale is for temperature, meaning the answer should be A.
happy new season!

University of Florida
My Wiki Page | WikiProject SciOly and Scioly.org | Pi-Bot

2019: Code, Fermi, Thermo
2020: Detector, Orni, Code (Substitution: Penn)
2021: Detector, Orni, Circuit, WICI
4Head

Post by 4Head »

Did anyone go over the sounds test? Some answers to the theory portion don't seem right
2019 Sounds of Music National Champion
dragon18456
State: CA

Post by dragon18456 »

4Head wrote:Did anyone go over the sounds test? Some answers to the theory portion don't seem right
Yo, created an account just for this, but better late than never. Sound of Music MIT Event Supervisor here and I apologize for the outrageous wait time for the instrument testing at the invite. If you think any of the questions are incorrect or incomplete, just post them and I'll get back to you on the topic. Note: some of the solutions come from pretty obscure reference material about the physics and construction of instruments, so some of the solutions are a bit hard to come by. End of Post (I'm so sorry)
Troy High School CA 2016-2018
Berkeley EECS '22

Return to “2019 Invitationals”